Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOM z/28 build, ETP, 416cid, 4l80e....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, forgot to add, getting an electric water pump also. If I have enough cash left over I'm gonna get Purple Hayes Performance to do the cage. Prolly 10 point Chromoly..
Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ordering the rest of the parts this week! $1850 worth of transmission parts, and a huge order from summit racing. Then back to work on it! Sorry been a while since I updated lol
Old 05-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Forgot to add, I'm ordering the Squash Performance dual pump setup, with -8 feed and -6 return. Magnafuel boost reference FPR, among other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Hope to have it finished in a couple months. Also Chris Coffey is doing the cage. He did the cages at Carma Performance and went off to do his own thing and does excellent work!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Nice to see an update on the car, hopefully you get it together soon, can't wait to see some new times or video or something lol.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

Lol no ****, everything is in the works I promise. Just been busy working on everyone else's **** around here and haven't had time for my own car lol.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Lol yeaah I was wondering if you was still working on it, but that probably gives you extra money for car working on everyone else's. I sold my darkstars a few weeks ago so ill be getting juss the rear rts soon, it should look as killer as yours.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Haha I love the rts's, ppl on here say they are over played, but no one where I'm from has them. They are kinda expensive so most ppl won't get them, Atleast the 15/17 combo.. Yea I finally have all the money in place (around $6,000) to finish it up. I'll post up some pics in a couple days.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Ordered my Squash Performance dual pump setup today with the walbro 267 pumps. Waiting on a payment to clear on my summit card then ill be making the huge order from them. Not much more to order! I'll take pics as parts come in.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

LOTS of parts came in. Basically the only thing I'm missing now, are the travel limiters, and a/c delete panel from Bob @ AEI CNC. Also I'm having issues finding an intake that I'm going to use. I'm thinking about just going ahead and getting a Holley Hi Ram and also getting solid motor mounts and making it work. some ppl say it works with the solid mounts, others say you still have to space the k member down, well I guess I'm going to find out. Also Chris Coffey from Carma Performance (doesn't work there any more) is doing the cage work (8.50 cert).

I don't know if you guys want pics or not, but all my SS Braided fuel lines, (-8 feed and -6 return), Magnafuel FPR (blk), Meziere black street ewp, Kirkey seats for driver and passenger side, tweed covers and Racecraft mounts, MSD wires, All the -8 and -6 fittings (all in blk) Russell fuel filter, and my Griffin radiator came in. All my 4l80e Parts from Gilbert @ ACE are on order, Billet input, Intermediate, and Forward Rollerized Clutch hub, along with Rossler Trans Brake and Rossler Moroso Pan. Also bought a Sparco steering wheel and NRG hub adapter and quick release hub. I've gotten so many parts in that really I've forgotten what all I've ordered lol. So far I've gotten in well over $5000 in parts.

That's a quick update, like I said I've been cutting more and more. I've decided on doing the engine bay bars that tie the strut tower to the cage, so I've been cutting the front and back sides out of the strut towers. I'll get some pics on Wednesday when I go back out to work on it some more. I may take a quick pic of my parts pile if anyone wants to see it lol.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Lol sorry haven't checked back on your thread in a while. But yeah the rts wheels are expensive but for me ill get the back ones first then the fronts later on. Some pics would be nice to drool over lol, I think you juss went to racecar status.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys.. Sorry its been forever since I posted an update to the thread. I haven't really worked on the car much, as I waited almost 8 months to get my trans parts from Gilbert at ACE Racing Transmissions. I know its not really his fault, BUT his customer service has been complete ****.

Anyways. I've managed to do some work on the car recently. I got the A/C delete plate in from Bob with the holes cut out for the heater core. Basically the only thing I have left to order, is the Holley Hi Ram, and the throttle body. Both of which will be the 105mm versions. The engine will be finished in the next week or so. If Gilbert will ever get back to my trans builder, then maybe he can finally get it back together but like I said, his customer service is absolutely ****.

Chris wants the engine and trans in the car before he installs the cage so everything is where it needs to be as far as weight goes. It will be a 8.50 cert cage with engine bay bars. I can't really remember if I stated or not, but the only accessory I'll be running as far as a belt, is the alternator now. Its manual rack, and Meziere water pump. I'll throw some pics on here of some of the updates and parts I've gotten for the car.

I'm doing something a little different with the strut towers, I haven't seen anyone do. I cut the front off, but didn't like the look. So I shaved the bottom off (were the battery box would be on both sides) and it will be welded flush with the strut tower instead of an overlap with spot welds.

Hopefully soon everything will start coming together..

Also, A little change to the engine, It's Mahle pistons now. The other pistons were collapsed from a **** tune that was in it when the engine was first put in the car. It was way too lean, and galled the pistons. New compression ratio is 11.7:1. It will have oiling mods, and dowelled mains. Mike Lough is doing all the work still. He's been pretty busy, and I've told him to take his time on it since the trans parts have been so delayed. So it's just now coming to a completion.

Anyways, here's some pics of the turd. Like I said hopefully in the next couple months more will come, and I'll update more frequently.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 AM
TECH Regular

The fun of racecar problems, I hate waiting on parts. I've been building mune this winter and that gets so aggravating waiting on stuff. Good to see your still working on it. How do you like that squash setup? Im almost done with my ls7 build, the fuel system is pretty much the only thing I haven't bought yet. I started a thread on it in the gen 4 internal section youll have to check it out but I haven't updated it in a bit. Car is almost done.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

I will def check it out! The Squash setup is very nice, I haven't used it yet, but everything is billet and high quality.. I called them, and they hooked me up. I just took the car to a buddy of mine to finish welding up the engine bay, and mount the radiator as well. It's getting there!!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Engine bay is getting welded up, also picked up my Holley Hi Ram and 105mm throttle body yesterday.. I'll post up some pics when I get time..
Old 05-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Picked up the engine! New compression ratio is 11.8:1. Found out more info on the heads I have. They are ETP small bore ls7 heads, but Cary did extra work to them. They are supposed to flow 410cfm @.700.. engine bay work is almost finished, as well as the trans work.. I'll try to get some pics up asap, it's just kinda a pita to put them on my computer off my phone, then load to fquick, and insert them here, but I'll get on it! Everything is starting to take shape!! Should be rowdy!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

I believe thats the same compression as mine lol. Thats going to be a nasty little motor though especially with those heads, those are some solid flow numbers. Cant hardly go wrong with ls7 stuff if you want some strong NA numbers. Id love to see it in person at LSfest, ill be tuned in for pics.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Keep up the good work, SOM will forever go down as my favorite color!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, a little update. Car will be going to Chris Sorentino for cage work here in a week or two. I ordered a harness from PSI to clean up the engine bay and so I don't have to re-tool the factory harness and worry about wire gauge and so on and so fourth. I have a **** ton of parts laying around just waiting on the car to get ready for them. I've been working on customer cars so I haven't really had time to mess with it. I recently acquired back my Hugger Orange z/28 so I've been tinkering with it here and there and getting it back clean as it was when I let it leave my house lol. Anyway, on with the pictures..

Engine Pics.. Sorry still in the bag lol

Couple of the interior, I don't think I've posted any of that..

And some of the welding in the engine bay and mounting the radiator

I also got a manual master cylinder. I'm planning on buying the Strange brakes for the front and rear. I got the solid engine mounts from UMI, Lokar black stainless steel throttle cable, several fittings.. I cant remember all the crap I've ordered. I still have some things to order, but not much more. Brakes, and more fittings and some more ARP bolts and that should be it. Still hoping to have it all together by LSFest, and also have my Hugger car there too.

I'll update more as I progress into this never ending build lol.. Been building it for about 2 years now on the current build.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every picture of that wide open engine bay I see, I keep thinking the next one is going to be the "Sooo, here is the turbo setup" picture. But it never comes. lol

Good work, should be a fun ride!
Old 06-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Haha I know right? That will come eventually.. for now it'll be a nitrous car until I build another shortblock. Hoping for 9.99 on motor and 8.99 on spray.. I don't think thats unrealistic..

Quick Reply: SOM z/28 build, ETP, 416cid, 4l80e....