Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distilled water and water wetter, bad for rust, pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distilled water and water wetter, bad for rust, pump?

ok my car is a drag car only, never on the street, no heat or anything in it, I want to eliminate the antifreeze all together, I want to run water wetter and distilled water only.

im in va bch so it gets freezing temps from time to time, is that bad??

also what about rust? or the water pump lubrication?

thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vbls

im in va bch so it gets freezing temps from time to time, is that bad??

thanks
Freezing? Since when?

I have a feeling that running ONLY water will freeze, hence the point of the antifreeze all together. Even though we only may get to 25 at the lowest, the 350 gallon water buffalo at work froze over 2 weeks ago, and the valves where shattered due to the frozen water inside them. So I would venture to say no can do.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drain the water out of the radiator, took the electric wp off, and blew some air in the motor to try and get rid of as much water as I could. Then put a 500 watt halogen light under the motor.
No rust in water. Don't know about the seals.
But someone said you buy some type of lubricant to put in the water to keep the seals from hardened.
I also use distilled water & water wetter.

Last edited by RENE'S RAGE; 12-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:33 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man I can't remember where I read about it, but I think you'll be better off using tap water instead of distilled. Something about the minerals in it aid in corrosion protection.

If you think its gonna freeze just drain it.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

I use water wetter every year with distilled water and I drain it at the end of every year. I also keep it in my garage to do winter tear down and cleaning.
I think the water wetter has a lubricant in it for the pump.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRracing
I use water wetter every year with distilled water and I drain it at the end of every year. I also keep it in my garage to do winter tear down and cleaning.
I think the water wetter has a lubricant in it for the pump.

yea I read that it did have lubricant in it, I just don't want to drain it every winter.

you drain the radiator and engine block? how do you get all the water out of the block? also its not bad to have the block sit there empty?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run tap water and 2 bottles of water wetter. I drain it in the fall and it comes out as clean as when I put it in, no rust at all. I believe the water wetter has a lubricant in it, not sure. If not, most parts stores sell a small bottle of lubricant. I drain and put antifreeze in for winter even though the car is inside. It's a pain in the ***, but cheap insurance in case of extreme cold or having to leave the car outside temporarily.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you drain it down to the water pump holes I would assume that there is ample room then for the water to expand during a freeze......so no need to worry about getting every last drop out.

Also, I see no reason why the car sitting with no water in it would be an issue.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is you are probably causing more problems than good by draining the fluids out of your car. Think about it this way you remove the fluid and air replaces it. The system is designed to have fluid in it. Example every time I take an engine down to rebuild it and the water pump sets drained for a period of time after the rebuild is complete and the engine is back up and running 50% of the time the water pump works for a short time then starts to leak out of the bearing seal hole. My opinion is that air is not good for seals meant to keep fluid in.

What I do is use distilled water /water wetter during race season and at the end of the season I drain it into clean plastic jugs marked water/wetter and then I put distilled water and antifreeze in for the winter so I can still play around with the car. Then when race season starts back up I drain the water/antifreeze into plastic jugs marked water/antifreeze. I jack up the back of the car as much as I can to get as much of the fluid out as possible. Then I flush with distilled water and drain. I then simply put back in my distilled water /water wetter from the previous race year. I just flip back and forth.

Why even take a chance of having water freeze in your block?

N2
Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Very good info, right there.
I got my electric wp off my car now, maybe I'll put some water and anti freeze in it.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

It is very very very simple. Water and water wetter in the summer, drain for the winter and you will have zero issues. Millions do it every single year with out issue.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

One year I pulled it out of the trailer and put half anti freeze in it and put the car back in the trailer til spring.
So if your worried about it freezing just leave it empty or put anti freeze in it.

It does not hurt my car to leave it empty for the winter either.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking water, water wetter and a little antifreeze (green) to keep it from freezing, so I don't have to drain it every winter,

how much antifreeze do you think I would need to put in?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Do you keep it in your garage? Put a space heater inside the engine bay, when the temp drops below freezing.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the functions of antifreeze is to reduce the effects of electrolysis.

If you do use antifreeze you should use a zinc anode also known as a sacrificial anode. They are readily available at marine supply house.

I was wondering if any of you running water have any feedback on this?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

My car has been in a controlled temperature room for about 6 months with the radiator drained of antifreeze/water. It is usually 60-75 degrees in the room, my motor won't suffer any ill side effects will it?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalCam
My car has been in a controlled temperature room for about 6 months with the radiator drained of antifreeze/water. It is usually 60-75 degrees in the room, my motor won't suffer any ill side effects will it?
Nope!!

Quick Reply: distilled water and water wetter, bad for rust, pump?