Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little product review on 2 budget shocks....[thumbsdown]

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Btw I haven't seen any leaking shocks like you are describing. Blown seal is strange. I guess it could happen.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah maybe I just got a defective pair and like I said they warn on the box "track only" and it's probably the 70 miles each way of Iowa and south Dakota pot holes that did it, technically I went against their clear recommendations for use, just didn't think it would kill them that fast
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NW Iowa WS6
Moral of the story, you get what you pay for and maybe its because I street drove these shocks but don't make the mistake I did. Hold out for Afco, QA1, Strange etc...my front QA1 R's have 3 years on them and they perform like new yet.
Well I have been using the Comp 3 way shocks for several years on my Formula with many high 1.2 sixty foot times.

Here is what I believe may have happened in your situation. You may have ordered shocks that were not long enough. When you dump the clutch at that high RPM using a M/T ET Street tire non stiff sidewall I bet the tire disappears below the wheel being mashed into the ground. I have some slow motion video of this happening. The wheel opening above the back tire went from 1+ inches to 4 + inches in a split second. So at that instance the shock is extending until it pulls apart so to speak.

I hope this helps and good luck on your next outing.

N2
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Well I have been using the Comp 3 way shocks for several years on my Formula with many high 1.2 sixty foot times.

Here is what I believe may have happened in your situation. You may have ordered shocks that were not long enough. When you dump the clutch at that high RPM using a M/T ET Street tire non stiff sidewall I bet the tire disappears below the wheel being mashed into the ground. I have some slow motion video of this happening. The wheel opening above the back tire went from 1+ inches to 4 + inches in a split second. So at that instance the shock is extending until it pulls apart so to speak.

N2
That is quite possible, could've done in the Lakewoods as well. Stock bilsteins I'm guessing have a greater range of travel where this abuse doesn't affect them
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For some of you guys that have run the Comp 3 way for years you haven't tried the new junk they have out there. I have an older set on one car and they work great. I picked up a new set last fall. One shock would only adjust to two of the three positions and the second shock would not extend. Both junk out of the box.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's

N2
Talking about shocks being to short.
I just put a pair of Comp 3 way shocks on my car last week, haven't drove it yet.
But, the stock WS6 shocks were 23" long overall with 6" of travel.
The Comps were 25" long overall and 8 3/4" of travel.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

ive been using the Comp 3 ways for years with no issues. I did get a bad one from summit that didnt adjust but i sent it back and they replaced it and refunded me my money.

Quick Reply: Little product review on 2 budget shocks....[thumbsdown]