Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60' is getting worse :( killin my ET

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
Im trying not to modify the car. Im trying to find whats holding it back.
how about the most basic stuff ? fresh plugs properly gapped , good wires , fresh Delco fuel filter to be sure your not fighting restrictive aftermarket crap , check intake tract for any crap it may have picked up , suck in a plastic bag or something you can chase your tail lol

fuel , air , spark , tune
Old 05-19-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
how about the most basic stuff ? fresh plugs properly gapped , good wires , fresh Delco fuel filter to be sure your not fighting restrictive aftermarket crap , check intake tract for any crap it may have picked up , suck in a plastic bag or something you can chase your tail lol

Those things wont hurt of course and Ill do all that soon. its on my list. Dont have time to do it all by Friday

I was hoping someone would just say "our cars stock dont have enough low end power for sticky tires" or "mash it from idle"...something like that lol...

Im not sure if this link will work but its my second pass and I ran the 13.16.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Do you know the DA from pass to pass? Temp is only part of the equation when it comes to weather affecting your times.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

I would start with tune up. Im working on a missing issue about to order wires get plugs and change both o2s you should try that
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Do you know the DA from pass to pass? Temp is only part of the equation when it comes to weather affecting your times.
I have no clue... I guess I should start keeping up with that
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevyz2801
I would start with tune up. Im working on a missing issue about to order wires get plugs and change both o2s you should try that
I guess we'll be doin that then headed to the track? I might bring my prostars and two grinders
Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator

Exactly what I was going to post. I like stock LS6 plug wires as does my tuner.

I didn't see any mention of LTs, OR/Y pipe, FTRA or Chris1313, LS6 Intake and other bolt on mods.

Is your front sway bar still on the car?

You're going to need great DA without full bolt ons, some weight reduction and some luck to hit 12s.

FWIW when I was full bolt ons stock stall, 3.23s and no tune I ran 12.87@107.7 with a 1.99 60ft on STREET TIRES. I tried Nittos and Hoosiers and my stock stall just didn't like them. I think with a tune I could've run 12.6/7 maybe even a 12.5 with the stock stall.

Good luck, I would definitely start with the tune up stuck.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Banned

get a 3600-4000 stall with the same tires and run 12.5-12.6 first pass
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Im not trying to MAKE it faster. Im trying to find out why its not faster. (why its gettin slower)
Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

What about the possibility that the transmission is starting to wear out and cause slip? I had a year when I used to have a 4l60e and the car starting slowing down. You couldn't feel it but it just kept getting slower and slower.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Abuse mgmt taking over?
Any data logs?
Trans been tuned?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

What about the possibility that the transmission is starting to wear out and cause slip? I had a year when I used to have a 4l60e and the car starting slowing down. You couldn't feel it but it just kept getting slower and slower.
Very possible too.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If that's a possibility, I would say that's what it is.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Abuse mgmt taking over?
Any data logs?
Trans been tuned?
No data logs. Trans has been tuned but torque management is still enabled. If I remove TM and lowered the shift pressure, would that be safe? I want the trans to last a while, my truck is down and its my only vehicle for now.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

If that were my only means of transportation I wouldn't be beating on it at the track, Just my .02
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should change your name to "SaneMike9396"
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

For starters, forget the skinnies right now, more importantly get a smaller tire.

What Psi Are you running those tires at? if you're not spinning increase the psi in them to the absolute maximum you can safely run and until you are at the brink of wheel spin (then you come down just a few psi, just enough to not spin)

Truthfully, you have wayyy too much tire on your car, a 10.5 wheel is plenty, hell, with the mods you have I would say you should really be running an 8" wheel.

You're hurting yourself with extra rotating mass and extra unneeded friction when you don't have the power to be turning that big of a tire to begin with.

That change alone will push you high 12's in the same conditons. It is amazing how much a sticky tire will slow you down, I see so many guys slap the biggest wheels they can fit the moment they slip and don't get me wrong, the car looks badass with those wide tires....but realistically, you want the least possible amount of tire you can run while still getting traction. (what do you think the idea behind getting skinnies is- less friction / less rotating mass)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
For starters, forget the skinnies right now, more importantly get a smaller tire.

What Psi Are you running those tires at? if you're not spinning increase the psi in them to the absolute maximum you can safely run and until you are at the brink of wheel spin (then you come down just a few psi, just enough to not spin)

Truthfully, you have wayyy too much tire on your car, a 10.5 wheel is plenty, hell, with the mods you have I would say you should really be running an 8" wheel.

You're hurting yourself with extra rotating mass and extra unneeded friction when you don't have the power to be turning that big of a tire to begin with.

That change alone will push you high 12's in the same conditons. It is amazing how much a sticky tire will slow you down, I see so many guys slap the biggest wheels they can fit the moment they slip and don't get me wrong, the car looks badass with those wide tires....but realistically, you want the least possible amount of tire you can run while still getting traction. (what do you think the idea behind getting skinnies is- less friction / less rotating mass)
-I already have the skinnys but they are at a friends. Too far out of my way I should have them on Wednesdays car meet tho.

-I spin at 25 psi and I run 18-20. up front I run 45.

-Im running some 26x11.50 on the 16" snowflake wheels (Free). I havent installed the 325's yet. I bracket race so consistancy is more important than speed. BUT I have to wonder why Im slowing down. Ive had 4 different tires in 6 months. EVERYTHING I do, slows the car down.....unless its the transmission slippin.

-Are you still an amsoil dealer?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what i looked like the pas two weeks at the track.... I didnt take the picture, i would of moved the trashcan lol.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

O, Im not sure if I mentioned it but I put plugs in and ran an 8.83 1/8 mile. Lost two tenths from the day before.

Temp dropped 15 degrees, engine temp was really low (car sat over two hours) ran a 8.71 which was the best that night. then it went back up to 8.86.

This link has my times and standings. I came in 4th. 5th place was 10 whole seconds off his dial and 6th place broke out.

My last name is Cook

http://richmonddragway.com/ver9/wp-c...2014/05/SS.pdf
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

-Are you still an amsoil dealer?
Yes I am

-I already have the skinnys but they are at a friends. Too far out of my way I should have them on Wednesdays car meet tho.

-I spin at 25 psi and I run 18-20. up front I run 45.

-Im running some 26x11.50 on the 16" snowflake wheels (Free). I havent installed the 325's yet. I bracket race so consistancy is more important than speed. BUT I have to wonder why Im slowing down. Ive had 4 different tires in 6 months. EVERYTHING I do, slows the car down.....unless its the transmission slippin.
The skinnies won't hurt, but my point is you just have too much tire in the rear for your power level. Is your posi working or are your clutches fried and you're really not hooking up with that second wheel for the most part?

Do you feel the transmission slipping? Is it bouncing off the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift? Do you have anything that is loose and possibly banging around causing the car to pull timing because your KR sensors are going off?

Sticky tires do funny things when they cause cars to hook up; things twist and move more and sometimes just an exhaust pipe twisting up and touching the frame is enough to cause the car to pull timing. This will slow you down and make you inconsistent because the car will pull timing randomly...

Do you have any scans of when you are at the track?

Quick Reply: 60' is getting worse :( killin my ET