Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout box crowding

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kills me more than anything is having a guy up at the starting line helping the driver stage.

So this driver has come up thru the ranks, making thousands of passes, but now that the car is fast he can't find the tree any more?

But it all works out in the end when once in a blue moon, the guy redlights the driver with his foot! Race over!

Al
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by T6Rocket
What kills me more than anything is having a guy up at the starting line helping the driver stage.

So this driver has come up thru the ranks, making thousands of passes, but now that the car is fast he can't find the tree any more?

But it all works out in the end when once in a blue moon, the guy redlights the driver with his foot! Race over!

Al
I'm in tears! I've always thought the same thing. It's usually the guys that take 8 minutes to stage, after doing an 1/8th mile burnout. Personally I think it's all for show, but then again I've never been anywhere near that fast. So maybe it is necessary, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experience with staging cars, both driving and helping others. I ran IHRA and NRHA Top Dragster along with a buddy of mine and we also had 2 Top Sportsman cars. These ranged between 7.6 down to 6.9 1/4 mile times. Its also bracket racing. So a lot of what's needed to win these races in reaction time and 60ft consistency. So we find the best spot to set the car up for the burnout, and then back him into the same tracks. This you guys already know why I am sure. Now bringing the front tires up to the line is another thing. You want to get the front tires the same distance from the beams every time if possible. This allows the driver to focus on the reaction to the light and not getting the car staged the correctly on the beams. You need to stage the same depth every time if possible. There is no real surprise for the driver when he is the same distance from the beam every time. He knows that with just a small roll, he's in and ready. If you roll in too deep you have to compensate for the distance to leave the beams with being a little slower on the button release. That's not easy to do. And when you need to be in the .015 or better to have a good shot at winning, every inch in the beams count a lot. Our bracket guys here cut .009 or better lights pretty regularly.

And one other small thing that doesn't seem like much to most people. The driver can focus on you standing at the front fender and wait for you to tell him the other car is ready. Some times they have issues or are slow to stage. So this allows the driver to just wait for you and not worry a bit about what the other car and driver is doing. Again, its all about focus and keeping it on the task at hand. Cutting killer lights.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah but that's ONE person. We arent talking about that.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This ^^^
Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Taxman20
I have experience with staging cars, both driving and helping others. I ran IHRA and NRHA Top Dragster along with a buddy of mine and we also had 2 Top Sportsman cars. These ranged between 7.6 down to 6.9 1/4 mile times. Its also bracket racing. So a lot of what's needed to win these races in reaction time and 60ft consistency. So we find the best spot to set the car up for the burnout, and then back him into the same tracks. This you guys already know why I am sure. Now bringing the front tires up to the line is another thing. You want to get the front tires the same distance from the beams every time if possible. This allows the driver to focus on the reaction to the light and not getting the car staged the correctly on the beams. You need to stage the same depth every time if possible. There is no real surprise for the driver when he is the same distance from the beam every time. He knows that with just a small roll, he's in and ready. If you roll in too deep you have to compensate for the distance to leave the beams with being a little slower on the button release. That's not easy to do. And when you need to be in the .015 or better to have a good shot at winning, every inch in the beams count a lot. Our bracket guys here cut .009 or better lights pretty regularly.

And one other small thing that doesn't seem like much to most people. The driver can focus on you standing at the front fender and wait for you to tell him the other car is ready. Some times they have issues or are slow to stage. So this allows the driver to just wait for you and not worry a bit about what the other car and driver is doing. Again, its all about focus and keeping it on the task at hand. Cutting killer lights.
good insight into the reasoning when the extra help is needed , thanks.

As an occasional street night warrior with no bracket racing exp. to speak of doing everything alone I typically did reaction times in the .025 to .030 range just to give me a good jump against the average joe with a faster car leaving on the green in the other lane , getting consistently in the .010 to .015 range sounds like quite an accomplishment without redlighting.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes. I understand the one person for bracket cars and professional cars, but we're talking about 300 ******** with their cell phones on record, tripping all over each other, putting their hands all over the cars. I don't get it.

And what's with these same people going into wild celebration after the race? They don't own the car... they don't work on the car... they don't crew chief... I just don't get it.

Went to a track to run tonight that I haven't been to in years. This is kind of a redneck track with no prepping, cleaning the track, making people drive with sense in the pits, etc. But even they didn't allow those who's nuts are numb to stand by the cars and crowd the burnout area.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Usually they stand back there during Grudge racing. They are mostly, all making bets. You can make some pretty good money too. At least, they are in control of their own destiny. And not going to hurt anyone, but themselves. Just like anything else. When someone gets killed. They will stop it. I personally have never heard of anyone getting hurt. Its just another form of fun, for even the people that can't afford to build a car, and still be a enthusiast. If you keep running off all the spectators. The tracks will close. Times Change. Its nice to see more and more people coming out. So when you go on a grudge night. You should pretty much expect it. Yes its annoying at times. But who am I to judge a person that is not harming anyone, and having FUN. Just a thought.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

The qestion was aksed why anyone is needed at the car and on the line. I answered it.

As for these other idiots, they need to move them out. Even if they are making bets on the race. You can still place bets from the other side of the wall or gaurd rail. People bet big on football everyday but they arent on the field rubbing the players butt while hes lined up.

These tracks pay a lot for insurance. If the insurance company ever saw them letting this crap happen they would cancel, then there is no track. So its not just fans that make one survive.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Honestly I think ppl in the pits get more aggravating then ppl on the line. Walk right in the middle and don't get out of the way.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a guy that helps make sure I get the car in the center of the groove.... When you're trying to repeat on a number, or the starting line is a little sketchy it helps.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Honestly I think ppl in the pits get more aggravating then ppl on the line. Walk right in the middle and don't get out of the way.
Yea, they have that "I'm the pedestrian " attitude. Then have the nerve to take their sweet time. See this a lot at the grocery stores too.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have a guy that helps make sure I get the car in the center of the groove.... When you're trying to repeat on a number, or the starting line is a little sketchy it helps.
For sure it's a good to line up in the groove for you faster guys. Repeat numbers and data, and from safety stand point.

I notice I was out of the groove a little bit, m6 car drop the hammer and was all over the place on the 1-2 shift. Little 427 rwhp high 10 Sec car. So gets real important for you fast *******!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

At mid 9 second speed it was important,
Where I'm headed, I would consider it critical.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's extremely common at grudge and no-prep events. It gets sketchy. I've seen higher powered cars lose it before the burnout box with mechanical failure or a throttle sticking somehow and careening into things.

I'm fine with standing by the sidelines and let the team do their thing without a crapload of people standing at the box to get a slight glimpse of the car leaving.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

You can make bets anywhere. I've seen people make bets in the stands at NHRA national events in the stands all the time... and trust me, none of them are getting anywhere near the burnout box.

I personally get a better view from the grandstands... they were designed for fans to sit and watch races with the best view, yet still be close, but a little removed from potential danger. The grandstands really are an awesome invention. They've successfully been used around the world for centuries.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could use the help staging up to make sure I'm in the groove. When I launch I see sky and hope when I come down I don't see wall. Some people don't get this concept but when you're knocking on 8's you'll want to make sure that you minimize any risks and stage perfect.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
I could use the help staging up to make sure I'm in the groove. When I launch I see sky and hope when I come down I don't see wall. Some people don't get this concept but when you're knocking on 8's you'll want to make sure that you minimize any risks and stage perfect.
Or you could get your suspension under control and keep the front end on/near the ground.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's well dialed in now
Old 04-02-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Actually if you can keep the front end down with the same power at launch you might get into the 8's now. The car is wasting powering lifting the nose instead of pushing it down the track. Only cars that should wheelie are the classes that don't allow what it takes to keep them down. Like Super stock.

Quick Reply: Burnout box crowding