Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When exactly is cage required

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016 | 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Default When exactly is cage required

I ask this question because I recently acquired a 00 ss that is making 9 second power which is great. Only problem is, it doesn't have a cage. So what I had planned to do is trip the beam roll out extremely slow, to the point that it would be impossible to run a fast et........but see how high the car will trap. So, do track officials only care about et....mph.....or a combination of the two? BTW this is the fastest car I've owned to date, so I've never had this issue over the years.
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Both according to rule book. cars need cage for et 9.99 1/4/6.39 1/8 or over 135mph
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:07 PM
9 Second Club

Depends on the track as well. Some i've been to don't give a ****. My take is this. When I felt I needed a roll bar is when I felt like I was no longer safe, not what the tracks requirements were.
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:47 PM
Launching!

do you think you'll be any less dead if you ball your car up running 13.99 @ 150 or 9.00 @ a 150 ??? if it capable of running in the nines you need a cage as well as a good fire suit helmet and gloves ...get it all ..its all stuff we hate to spend money on ...but if you ever need it ..you'll sure be glad you have it ..
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Guess I better run full boost all the way out the back then on the first pass then. I will never cage my car, I want the interior to look factory stock with the exception being the nesessary extra gauges.
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:53 PM
Launching!

a good chassis guy can hide the cage pretty well ..not to mention your car will be faster and more predictable with a proper cage and subframe connectors ...
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RobsZ28
Both according to rule book. cars need cage for et 9.99 1/4/6.39 1/8 or over 135mph
Originally Posted by willizm
Depends on the track as well. Some i've been to don't give a ****. My take is this. When I felt I needed a roll bar is when I felt like I was no longer safe, not what the tracks requirements were.
Originally Posted by chevelledave
do you think you'll be any less dead if you ball your car up running 13.99 @ 150 or 9.00 @ a 150 ??? if it capable of running in the nines you need a cage as well as a good fire suit helmet and gloves ...get it all ..its all stuff we hate to spend money on ...but if you ever need it ..you'll sure be glad you have it ..
I cannot refute anything that you said, because you are absolutely right. With that being said, it's a chance that I'm willing to take. Some people smoke, some people sleep with anything that moves etc. My walk on the wildside is clicking off crazy trap speed, then driving home with the Ac and music going. Is it risky? Absolutely.
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Kinda jacked up the quotes. Sorry
Old 03-25-2016 | 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevelledave
a good chassis guy can hide the cage pretty well ..not to mention your car will be faster and more predictable with a proper cage and subframe connectors ...
True, a more rigid car will perform better. I'm not running max effort. This is just a fun street car that I can drive anywhere. Won't be at the track every weekend, as those days are behind me. Not that I'm opposed to it I just don't have the time.
Old 03-26-2016 | 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, at least you got the right name for when they scrape you off the wall. Good Luck!!!
And I don't mean good luck to you. Good Luck to the other People racing you. Your car will be all over the track, with less and less control as your chassis loosens up, from launching the car. The old, one wheel hang. Why would you come on here, and ask for advice, then make the comments you have. Trying, and I repeat TRYING, to act like Billy Bad Azz. And putting everyone around you at risk. Be Smart. Get the right safety equipment. The tough guy roll, is pretty stale. No one is impressed. Sorry for the rant Fellas. But WTF
Old 03-26-2016 | 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Well, at least you got the right name for when they scrape you off the wall. Good Luck!!!
And I don't mean good luck to you. Good Luck to the other People racing you. Your car will be all over the track, with less and less control as your chassis loosens up, from launching the car. The old, one wheel hang. Why would you come on here, and ask for advice, then make the comments you have. Trying, and I repeat TRYING, to act like Billy Bad Azz. And putting everyone around you at risk. Be Smart. Get the right safety equipment. The tough guy roll, is pretty stale. No one is impressed. Sorry for the rant Fellas. But WTF
Lmao amen
Old 03-26-2016 | 03:10 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
I cannot refute anything that you said, because you are absolutely right. With that being said, it's a chance that I'm willing to take. Some people smoke, some people sleep with anything that moves etc. My walk on the wildside is clicking off crazy trap speed, then driving home with the Ac and music going. Is it risky? Absolutely.
I get it man, it's cool as I love doing stupid **** too. However, you are not the kind of guy I'd want in the other lane. Your lack of respect for safety gives me the idea that you're also type of guy that should lift on passes that should be aborted. The only outcome of that attitude is either a **** time slip (which is meaningless) or you'll end up crashing the thing. I could give two ***** if you put your car in the wall........but that attitude wiping out the car in the other lane...............that I've got a problem with.

So, we've established that not lifting on passes that should be aborted nets 2 results. Both negative. So............guys get your head out of your *** and be safe.
Old 03-26-2016 | 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Hilarious. People don't know that the vehicle in question actually tracks straight, has pretty decent suspension and would not be piloted by someone that doesn't "know when to lift" talk what they don't know. Imagine that. Billy bad ***.....now I remember why it's extremely rare that I post. Ahh yes, Supposed grown ups that still engage in pre school name calling.
Old 03-26-2016 | 05:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Btw, not trying to play the tough guy "roll"(at least spell the snide remark right). Nor am I trying to "impress" anyone.

Last edited by Game ova; 03-26-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2016 | 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Just glad that I don't have such a limited vocabulary that I have to resort to cursing. Have at it guys
Old 03-26-2016 | 10:22 AM
9 Second Club

I understand what you are saying and if I had to guess I'd say you are probably in your 20's and maybe single. I remember being young as well, but as with age comes responsibility. I've driven/raced my car prior to caging it, but at the end of the day it's not about me. It's about the wife and kids that I have to provide for. If I want to have my hobbies and be the only bread winner, I have to consider the real possibility of things going sideways quickly which is why I wouldn't flinch at buying safety equipment.

Again, not trying to slam you, but you may find your prospective changes either suddenly or gradually. Good luck to you.

Also, if this is the fastest car you've had, be cautious. Trap speed isn't the end all be all and some things you can't control such as the guy ahead of you spraying coolant or trans fluid at the traps.
Old 03-26-2016 | 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by willizm
I understand what you are saying and if I had to guess I'd say you are probably in your 20's and maybe single. I remember being young as well, but as with age comes responsibility. I've driven/raced my car prior to caging it, but at the end of the day it's not about me. It's about the wife and kids that I have to provide for. If I want to have my hobbies and be the only bread winner, I have to consider the real possibility of things going sideways quickly which is why I wouldn't flinch at buying safety equipment.

Again, not trying to slam you, but you may find your prospective changes either suddenly or gradually. Good luck to you.

Also, if this is the fastest car you've had, be cautious. Trap speed isn't the end all be all and some things you can't control such as the guy ahead of you spraying coolant or trans fluid at the traps.
Nah, closer to 40. But, you have a valid point with the wife and kid thing....although I've decided to remain childless I am married. I'm sure others will disagree, but being that I've been driving professionally for the past 15 years (class A cdl) I'm confident about my skills as a driver. One may say,what does a truck have to do with a car......ever driven an 18 wheeled vehicle that is basically on a swivel in the ice and snow? Point is, that is MUCH harder to control than even a nine second car. But I've done so for well over a million miles now accident free (no, not all miles were in the snow)
Old 03-26-2016 | 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

I don't want to say I have seen guys like you at the track because I don't know you and don't want to judge but just food for thought... about the last half dozen times I have been at the track on a street night it inevitably gets shut down for an hour plus after a fast street car that hasn't been tracked gets loose and tries to ride it out and somewhere after the 1/8th hits the guardrail

The common thread always seems to be unlike the street at some point the track is going to hook and if your crooked and wheeling it like you can on the street its a big shock when it does finally find sticky track , it will go whichever way its pointed as soon as that happens which is into a guardrail or worse.

Moral to the story if its still spinning a couple hundred feet out back off and try again on another pass don't try to ride it out like you can on the street it might bite you in the ***.

I have seen many people want to know et without caging , usually make a half track pass or 2 to get the launch sorted then make the pass that gets you kicked out lol

Good luck let us know how it works out .
Old 03-26-2016 | 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

you talking about stunts like this? Would never do anything like this. Once it's loose like this guy, coast down and try again. But, I've covered more road in my short 36 years, than most of these people on this forum. Not to say I'm infallible, but more experienced than most.
Old 03-26-2016 | 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

I've covered more road in my short 36 years, than most of these people on this forum. Not to say I'm infallible, but more experienced than most.
No offense but I am also a commercial driver with right at 30 years under my belt and driving a truck and driving a race car have absolutely nothing in common unless you use your truck to trailer the car to the strip. I drive on snow and ice also but not at over 130 mph and I also do so knowing that it's going to be slippery, Getting loose at high speed isn't the same at all.
It's your choice to go without a cage but it's also the tracks choice to ban you and they likely will.

Quick Reply: When exactly is cage required