Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause a car to do this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What would cause a car to do this...

No pics but just a description

Car 98 Formula, BMR TRAK PAK -2.5 deg on the torque arm, Lakewood LCA's, Airbag in the right rear spring, stock springs and shocks all the way around, ET Streets with 17psi in each, stock rear sway bar no sway bar up front...

Now to the problem. The car has never done this at ALL. The car would hook off the line but then would sway back and forth real bad causing me to lift. Figured it was just the track. I let the car cool down for an hour checked the tire pressure made sure everything was even(17psi rear 50psi front) The went back up and chose the other lane. This time the car hooked harder(better burnout) and then started to go side to side even harder and I had to lift before the 1/8 then tried to get back into it and the car continued to do it even worse so I cruised through the traps...still won though

We check all the suspension points to make sure all was fine and no binding was happening. I went to check the airbag's pressure but screwed that up by not having the pressure gauge on there square and let a ton of air out, pressure reading after my screw up was 5psi so it could have been low. Would a low air bag cause this? I normally run the airbag at 17-18psi and hook 1.60fts... last night I was hitting 1.79-1.70's

Any help would be great.
J
Old 06-21-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

ttt??
Old 06-21-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this your first time with ET Streets, people tend to not be used to them, they can feel like the car is swaying all over the place.

Marco
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nope, been through a couple sets and a set of ET drags and this has never happened before. The car is really shakin its *** on the video on both passes. I went over everything twice. Maybe I have a bad sidewall on the passenger side street?
Thanks Tho
Old 06-21-2004, 11:48 PM

Same thing happened to me last time I was at the track, only I kept in it and spun out! I'm hoping the Spohn sway bar fixes that, along with my sideways launches.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Nope, been through a couple sets and a set of ET drags and this has never happened before. The car is really shakin its *** on the video on both passes. I went over everything twice. Maybe I have a bad sidewall on the passenger side street?
Thanks Tho
what kind of front tire you running, my et streets swayed bad but my drags dont. it has something to do with the sidewall play in the streets vs. the play in my pepboys metrics, but if you have et fronts it shouldnt be a problem, but id run 40psi not 50
Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had my car sway back and forth when I was running my heads and cam setup with 14psi in the et streets, its interesting crossing the traps at 120 on balloons
Old 06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

If I ran anything less than 14psi in the 26X10.5X15 ET streets, the rear end would sway back and fourth really bad. Had a death grip on the steering wheel at the top end of the track. At 12psi, it was bad, and at 10psi it was much worse, and almost unmanagable.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

I tried one of those 10 psi tire pressure passes one time. I found out that they don't hook any better and they sway line a **** and is quiet aggreavting.

Back to teh topic.

Have you checked your panhard rod and control arms for straightness?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Guy In MY 99TA: Great Rec' I haven't checked that at all. Probably bent. The LCA's shouldn't be tweeked. I would hope not or I would lose faith in the ol Lakewood products lol.

I run the Metrics up front too, but the car has never done the shimmy right off the line. With 17psi in the rears she is pretty stable on the topend, but I couldn't even get it to the 1/8 last friday without it trying to swap ends. So I only made two passes and called it a night.

Check list, pull the LCA's and panhard bar to see if they are tweeked. Any other suggs? How about the low airbag in the right rear, will that cause wacky launches?
Thanks all, keep it coming.... I need to run a 6.90-6.99 in the 1/8