Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

narrowed rear and the old ARE car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default narrowed rear and the old ARE car...

I was searching through posts about narrowed rear ends. I like how the old silver ARE car looked with that deep dish. I realize they had altered the mounting points of the stock suspension. Does anyone know what the specifications on the rear was and what backspace the rims were? Just trying to figure out if it's possible to run that combo without having to alter the suspension mounting points. Got pics of alot of the cars that have been posted, but if you care to post the pics again, feel free. Also, if you had ordered the rear through Moser/Strange/Currie/etc.. did they charge you extra for the narrowing? thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear

Originally Posted by z28kid98
I was searching through posts about narrowed rear ends. I like how the old silver ARE car looked with that deep dish. I realize they had altered the mounting points of the stock suspension. Does anyone know what the specifications on the rear was and what backspace the rims were? Just trying to figure out if it's possible to run that combo without having to alter the suspension mounting points. Got pics of alot of the cars that have been posted, but if you care to post the pics again, feel free. Also, if you had ordered the rear through Moser/Strange/Currie/etc.. did they charge you extra for the narrowing? thanks
i have 14.5x28 hoosiers under my formula with all STOCK mounting pts ,but i run 10" rim with 4.5 backspace,the closer to 0 offset you are with the wheel the better it is for all thinggs bob
Attached Thumbnails narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-107.jpg   narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-077.jpg   narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-108.jpg  
Old 06-27-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Bob. your formula is one that i have a ton of pics of saved on my laptop. you also emailed me a ton of the minitub job a while back. i appreciate it. So with that 4.5" BS, that means you have 3" off each side of the rear end correct? or did you only go 2.5" on each side and get that extra .5" tuck?

also, when you start getting to 0 offset, are making the wheels fit over the stock calipers a bit easier? I have them ground down for the 15x10 pro stars i have now, just wondering if i could switch to a different rim without going with aftermarket brakes.

Chris
Old 06-27-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Default ??

Thanks Bob. your formula is one that i have a ton of pics of saved on my laptop. you also emailed me a ton of the minitub job a while back. i appreciate it. So with that 4.5" BS, that means you have 3" off each side of the rear end correct? or did you only go 2.5" on each side and get that extra .5" tuck?

also, when you start getting to 0 offset, are making the wheels fit over the stock calipers a bit easier? I have them ground down for the 15x10 pro stars i have now, just wondering if i could switch to a different rim without going with aftermarket brakes.

Chris
i have aftermarket brakes,you should have all the dimensions on rear from the old emails if you dont let me know ill look them up, ,i dont start with any measurement i put wheels under car and cut rear to size[,it has a 12 bolt] i dont think a 15 " rim with any kinda offset will clear stock brakes,
Old 06-27-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,

If you have a rear end made to fit a 1982-92 F-Body it will bolt right in. You can then run wheels with 5" back spacing.

Daren
Old 06-27-2004, 03:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Chris,

If you have a rear end made to fit a 1982-92 F-Body it will bolt right in. You can then run wheels with 5" back spacing.

Daren
Daren's right, but the 93-97 LT1 cars used the same width rears as the 3rd Gen's, too. They have the same suspension points as the LS1 cars, but the rears are 1.5" PER side narrower. Take care.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

NRC,
Do you have any more pics of your formula?
Maybe a couple from the rear.
Have you done a minitub?
Why do say that the closer you are to zero ofset the better?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 06-27-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Default questions

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
NRC,
Do you have any more pics of your formula?
Maybe a couple from the rear.
Have you done a minitub?
Why do say that the closer you are to zero ofset the better?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks,
Dave
dave email me your email address and i,ll send you picts ,zero offset is better as the wheel wont deflect as easy,and it keeps load on the middle of tire and wheel,less stress on axle bearings and rear parts thnx bob email bobg@nrcmotorsports.com
Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

These are pics of my SS with a Currie 9" that was narrowed 2" per side. The first pics are when I had ProStar XPs that were 16x8.5 - 5.5bs and a 26" ET Street. The second set of pics are with 15x10 ProStars - 5"bs (zero offset) and 28" Slicks. The change required cutting of the bump stops and massaging the inner wells via the BFH mod.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The ARE car had the LCA mounting on the other side of the bracket. (Using the original inside hole for the outermost LCA mount and another tab for the inside hole) It was legal for OSCA True Street series and NHRA as well.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Chris, please IM me sometime about 4.5" BS and the pics you have..

I still have to pick wheels for the 29x13.5 QTP's.

The car is at alston now and may receive a mini-tub.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

if you send me your email address i can send picts of formula,the first tire i put on it was a hoosier 29x11.50, now it has a 28x14.5 but both needed mini tub to fit properly and keep car down and my lower bars are in the stock locations, bob
Attached Thumbnails narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-093.jpg   narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-030.jpg   narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-046.jpg   narrowed rear and the old ARE car...-98formula-037.jpg  

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 06-28-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Daren's right, but the 93-97 LT1 cars used the same width rears as the 3rd Gen's, too. They have the same suspension points as the LS1 cars, but the rears are 1.5" PER side narrower. Take care.
LT1 cars and LS1 cars have the same length housings. All 4th gen housings are the same length. LT1's are 1.5" longer then the 3rd gen on each side. Same for the LS1's. The difference between a LS1 and LT1 is a small spacer required for a tiny depth difference for brakes.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
The ARE car had the LCA mounting on the other side of the bracket. (Using the original inside hole for the outermost LCA mount and another tab for the inside hole) It was legal for OSCA True Street series and NHRA as well.

I know that I remember reading all the debates. What i just wanted to know was the rim/rear end specifications and if it would work WITHOUT doing the same thing they did. Just want it for looks instead of my current 15x10/7.5" BS combo
Old 06-28-2004, 11:58 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A 9" or 12 bolt narrowed 3" per side with a 15x10 on a 5" backspacing will tuck very nicely. That is with the lower control arms relocated / pushed all the way to the insides of the factory bracket locations. Enough clearance in my case for about 3/4" or so of clearance to the LCA from the tire. Plenty of clearance everywhere else in the wheel well with a small mini tub. If you went to a smaller diameter LCA you might be able to gain a little more. I'm not sure at what limit that becomes a problem though.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

i have a custom made set that look exactly like the billingsley offset ones. so hopefully that will help out. thanks guys
Old 07-24-2004, 09:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DERTY
A 9" or 12 bolt narrowed 3" per side with a 15x10 on a 5" backspacing will tuck very nicely. That is with the lower control arms relocated / pushed all the way to the insides of the factory bracket locations. Enough clearance in my case for about 3/4" or so of clearance to the LCA from the tire. Plenty of clearance everywhere else in the wheel well with a small mini tub. If you went to a smaller diameter LCA you might be able to gain a little more. I'm not sure at what limit that becomes a problem though.
Would a 12 bolt narrowed 3" on each side would be just fine with 15x10's with 4.5" backspacing? Would it be better to narrow 2.5" and do 5" BS?

My wheel wells are clearanced big time in both front and back so I am not needing to tuck them in more. I do not want to worry about suspension location though.

It's time for me to order a strange 12 bolt w/spool & 4.10's. I'd like to do it right the first time.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:13 AM
8 Second Club

I have a mosier that is 5 inches narrowed from them have stock brakes and all mounting is stock they told me i was the first to ored one like that but it worked great .I use 10 inch wheels with 5 and 5 i run 28/10.5 slicks or 28/14.5 QTP I have some good pics but to large to post the are with telstar wheels look great email me and i will send them
Old 07-25-2004, 09:55 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnus
Would a 12 bolt narrowed 3" on each side would be just fine with 15x10's with 4.5" backspacing? Would it be better to narrow 2.5" and do 5" BS?

My wheel wells are clearanced big time in both front and back so I am not needing to tuck them in more. I do not want to worry about suspension location though.

It's time for me to order a strange 12 bolt w/spool & 4.10's. I'd like to do it right the first time.
That makes no difference unless you want a specific rim. You're just trading that 1/2" from the axle to the wheel. The more backspacing you have the more tuck you can get. In my case a 15x10 on a 5 sucks them in as far as they can go without any LCA relocation issues.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

I took 3" off each side of the rear, massaged the innners, and removed the bump stop, replacing it with flat stock. I have 2 sets of rime, one is the Convo pro 10x15, 5"bs, which required no brake modifications. I have a true 10.5" ET Drag on the rim (not a W) and I have 1/2" oc clearance inside the wheel well. The metal most likely to come in contact is at the lower end of 2:00 (if you were facing the wheel on the passenger side). I could not fit a wider tire with this rim.

My street rim is a Centerline Telestar, 15x10 4" bs. The rim has a nice dish to it. I have a 13" 28" ET Street on this. I have plenty of clearance with this combo. Looking back, I think a 4 1/4 bs would have been a tad bit better.

If you take 3" off the housing, you will not be able to retain the E-brake. The bracket comes too close to the brake plates. I think I still have some pics on my webshots, take a look around. Good luck.

Quick Reply: narrowed rear and the old ARE car...