Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexan Windows installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lexan Windows installation

Anyone have any experience mounting Lexan windows onto stock doors that have been gutted? I own a pair of fiberglass VFN doors, but decided to use my stock doors that were gutted. I have the frame kit already, just curious how people are mounting the bottom of the glass on the stock doors.

The following users liked this post:
1sickss (07-31-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,894 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I plan on installing Lexan for the front and rear once I start to strip my car but no plans to remove the front or rear bumper supports. My door has manual windows so I take it the Lexan door windows would need those internal parts? BTW nice build you got going on there!
Old 07-11-2020, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I plan on installing Lexan for the front and rear once I start to strip my car but no plans to remove the front or rear bumper supports. My door has manual windows so I take it the Lexan door windows would need those internal parts? BTW nice build you got going on there!
Thanks. I had front glass on my last F-body. This one will also have front and rear. I am just curious how people have mounted Lexan with the stock doors. There isn’t anything to mount the Lexan to on the bottom of the door like the fiberglass doors.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by boss79z
Thanks. I am just curious how people have mounted Lexan with the stock doors. There isn’t anything to mount the Lexan to on the bottom of the door like the fiberglass doors.
I am too. I bought a pair of the glass vfn doors too. Wow I was highly disappointed with the fitment. We have that same hood and hatch and they fit perfect. After completely gutting the stock doors we were shocked on how light they were so we weighed them. To our surprise they weighed very close to the same as the vfn's. And they fit perfect with the seals too, so we kept them. We are going to be loosing weight this winter and want to get rid of the crank up mechanism and the glass and go to the lexan too. I was wondering if you could just get one of those kits and get it to work also. Hopefully you can. Definitely interested to see what you come up with. We are going to do the same thing to the front too. We have a lot of weight to loose. We want to do the firewall and carbon roof as well. Your car Looks Killer. Great Job!!! Going to be sick as **** when you get it done.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TTur1996
I am too. I bought a pair of the glass vfn doors too. Wow I was highly disappointed with the fitment. We have that same hood and hatch and they fit perfect. After completely gutting the stock doors we were shocked on how light they were so we weighed them. To our surprise they weighed very close to the same as the vfn's. And they fit perfect with the seals too, so we kept them. We are going to be loosing weight this winter and want to get rid of the crank up mechanism and the glass and go to the lexan too. I was wondering if you could just get one of those kits and get it to work also. Hopefully you can. Definitely interested to see what you come up with. We are going to do the same thing to the front too. We have a lot of weight to loose. We want to do the firewall and carbon roof as well. Your car Looks Killer. Great Job!!! Going to be sick as **** when you get it done.
Appreciate it. We will see what we can come up with.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you figured out how to mount your side Lexan windows in a stock door? I am having the same issue.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:27 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I’ve tried to do this and unfortunately the only way is to make a lip to put on the door to attach the glass to, you can do it and panel bond a small sheet metal lip along the edge to attach the glass to but it looks hokey, to the point I would probably revisit your vfn doors and try to work the fitment.

fwiw I just installed a set of glasstek doors and other than the bottom of one needing to be brought out a little to get the alignment better, they fit decently.

the hinges have a lot to do with the fitment, personally I like the mcamis ones as they are pretty strait forward to install and are light/strong... same with his latch for the doors. Just be ready to modify/remount the door striker as it will have to be shifted outwards to work properly.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

http://Name:  HFO2whR.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  82.0 KB

Stock gutted doors with a homemade window frame that ties to the innards of the door along with the factory doorpanel and Tim M, upper door latch kit
Old 04-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

100% removalable to

Lexan Windows installation-m0jqhvm.jpg
C5_Pete (05-02-2021)
Old 07-27-2022, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know how close to the edge of lexan that you can drill for mounting bolts? I have a truck that im building with full frame doors that have a 1/2 lip where the window weatherstrip would go that I can mount too. minus about 1/8" for gap.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done this on my 96 camaro. I'll take some pictures of how it's mounted tomorrow.

Here's the photos. The kit was from Racecraft. It's a generic kit for the mounting locations. You need to weld the bars and mounting tabs.

Last edited by tryintogofast; 07-31-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Update
bbond105 (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

That is awesome. Who's widow kit is that? Besides the angle pieces, did you make the rods going to the inside of the door?
Old 08-04-2022, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTur1996
That is awesome. Who's widow kit is that? Besides the angle pieces, did you make the rods going to the inside of the door?
Thanks, It's a Racecraft window kit. The kit comes with the two J rods and a variety of mounting tabs. The window frame is complete but holes need to be drilled through the lexan to mount the frame to the window. Then mock up the window, figure out J rod locations and tabs and weld them together. You also end up putting a bend into the J rods to get the contour of the window close to the body curves.

Quick Reply: Lexan Windows installation