Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight savings from removing sound deadening from backside of factory carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight savings from removing sound deadening from backside of factory carpet?

I was curious to know how much is saved by removing all the sound deadening from the backside of the factory carpet? Also, there is a plastic piece with foam underneath it on both the driver's and passenger's side floor board all the way up front where the feet would be...what is that and whats its purpose? Can it be removed? Also, the sound deadening around the console, is it ok to remove it?
Old 09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

You can remove anything you want when it comes to the carpet. You'll pick up a little more noise with the more you take out. I have NO carpet and it's not that bad. I'm getting lightweight carpet this winter because people see the floor and say "That car's gutted" Ha! You can probably save 10 or so lbs. Worth it IMO and looks the same.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I got the lightweight carpet from yearone. awsome stuff. thik it was about 12 pounds. The stock carpet went in the trash.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Banned

I dont know what its going to be like just yet, but I really dont care too much about the extra noise because its fairly loud as it is with the true duals. I dont want to remove it completely because its out now and I dont know if I would want to drive it around without it just because it doesnt look right. I want to keep the stock appearance or close to it, but remove weight all at the same time. I was wondeing if anyone has done this rather than buying aftermarket carpet. I took all the sound deadening underneath the carpet and also removed it from the backside of the carpet, but wasnt sure what the total savings was. So I figured that someone had to have done this and was curious as to know what the savings were.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm almost positive I read one time it's 30lbs. Stock carpet was 36ish with 30lbs of that being garbage. I've been wrong before though.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

I removed the sound deadening from the back of the carpet. Along with thoes black mats, one around the shifter and one over the gas tank. I weighed what I removed and I wanna say it was 18#, if I remember right.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Banned

I took the entire backing off the carpet, then the 2 small pieces of deadening from the corners of the back seat, then the one around the shifter, but left the plactic pieces in the floor board where your feet would be in the front of the car. Its where the firewall is but on the inside of the car. I dont know what theyre for, so I left them in. They didnt look like sound deadening. I was just curious to know how much weight was saved by simply removing the backside of the carpet, nothing more.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

The sound detoning weights almost nothing, its the stock rubber backed carpet that is rather heavy, around 30# (sound detoning another 5-6#). I did home depot carpet that came in at 5-6#, so I saved 30#.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
8 second mod

i did speed incs light weight, i scaled the carpet best i could it seemed to be around 33-35 lbs
speed inc light weight with some insulation off it was 12 lbs. so it was well worth it imo

Quick Reply: Weight savings from removing sound deadening from backside of factory carpet?