Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about manual rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about manual rack

I would like to go to a manual rack, but I don't want to trash the spindles by drilling for a bolt. I saw an adapter that fit the taper in the spindle and had a straight section for the heim joint but can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Baer brakes sells these baer tracker kits for adjusting bump steer. You might be able to use these with your manual rack kit or they may be willing to just sell the tapered stud adaptor or point you in the right direction.

www.speedwaymotors.com and search on this part number: 91636055-gm. As long as the taper is the same it should be what you're looking for.

Last edited by JeffT; 01-07-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM
I ruin the end of films...

It's not that hard to drill out the spindle. Just use a low-speed drill, plenty of fluid and take your time. Hell, I did mine on the car.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
It's not that hard to drill out the spindle. Just use a low-speed drill, plenty of fluid and take your time. Hell, I did mine on the car.
I understand that. What is hard it putting the power rack back on next winter after having drilled the spindles
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JeffT
Baer brakes sells these baer tracker kits for adjusting bump steer. You might be able to use these with your manual rack kit or they may be willing to just sell the tapered stud adaptor or point you in the right direction.

www.speedwaymotors.com and search on this part number: 91636055-gm. As long as the taper is the same it should be what you're looking for.
Yep, that looks like it. Thank you very much.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by critter
I understand that. What is hard it putting the power rack back on next winter after having drilled the spindles
You failed to mention that.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spindles on a 4th gen have a metric taper tierod end. Of all the kits you are looking at they are for standard taper. They will bolt in but they arent right. I used to offer a tierod from a c-4 vette but you had to buy a $150.00 tapered reamer to convert your spindles to fit.

225-343-9029
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The spindles on a 4th gen have a metric taper tierod end. Of all the kits you are looking at they are for standard taper. They will bolt in but they arent right. I used to offer a tierod from a c-4 vette but you had to buy a $150.00 tapered reamer to convert your spindles to fit.
Hmmm. That is interesting. Had to chop a lug off the spindle to get the Aeromotive brakes on, so I guess it no longer matters

BTW, it is obvious why the Aerospace brakes are less expensive than Strange. Had to do some cleanup with a tap and enlarge the mounting holes in two of the rotors. You can see one place where the jig came loose and the tool walked. But, they look to be quite serviceable and I didn't have to put $500 worth of time into them, so I am not bummed.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

I was thinking about going to a manual rack, how much weight savings is there between a stock rack and the manual rack. (not including the power accessories)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastmaro
I was thinking about going to a manual rack, how much weight savings is there between a stock rack and the manual rack. (not including the power accessories)
Assuming P/S pump, hoses, and bracket are gone and you've "looped" the stock rack...Only 4.25#'s! on a very precise scale.

As said, this is assuming you are comparing stock rack that has been "looped" and the stock linkage vs. the manual rack, it's heavy steel support bracket and hardware that is to be welded to the k-member, bump steer ends, and the linkage.

I had heard 5-10#'s and was very skeptical and confirmed this when I got my manual rack kit last month. However, it's a VERY nice piece and am pleased with it and will install it whenever it's not so damn cold.

Assuming you are already "looped", look at purchasing it for driveability, NOT for weight savings. There are far better ways to spend $700 (rack kit, shipping, and an alignment) if you still need a k-member, etc., etc. I am not knocking it, just saying it'd be later on my purchase list if I was just getting started. Take care. Dave
Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

I use mine on the street and it is OK. I like it and it is light for sure.

Thanks to Madman.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Assuming P/S pump, hoses, and bracket are gone and you've "looped" the stock rack...Only 4.25#'s! on a very precise scale.

As said, this is assuming you are comparing stock rack that has been "looped" and the stock linkage vs. the manual rack, it's heavy steel support bracket and hardware that is to be welded to the k-member, bump steer ends, and the linkage.

I had heard 5-10#'s and was very skeptical and confirmed this when I got my manual rack kit last month. However, it's a VERY nice piece and am pleased with it and will install it whenever it's not so damn cold.

Assuming you are already "looped", look at purchasing it for driveability, NOT for weight savings. There are far better ways to spend $700 (rack kit, shipping, and an alignment) if you still need a k-member, etc., etc. I am not knocking it, just saying it'd be later on my purchase list if I was just getting started. Take care. Dave
Most of the weight I saved was from the pump, fluid & lines. The weight difference between the stock rack and the Pinto rack w/ bump steer kit isn't much. The big difference is in how easy it turns compared to the looped rack.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

When converting to a manual rack,how does the belt routing go and what belt is used?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:31 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looping sounds just fine for me,thanx quikr....
Old 01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Looking at a part store, it looks like all chevies since the early 80s use the same tie rod end our F-Bodies do...

Quick Reply: Thinking about manual rack