Sponsored by:

Damn, Car Appears To Be Crooked

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Damn, Car Appears To Be Crooked

K well looks like I have a problem.

Before, I didn't know you should't set front ride height with the anti roll/drag bar attatched to the car, so last year when i put hal's on that's what i did. then we welded my wolfe rollbar in also.

so this week when redoing some things i had the drag bar off, re set the ride height and put the drag bar back on. car sits even in the front but in the back the passenger side is a good 1/2 inch higher than the drivers side.

i'm assuming its b/c of what i did last year and then welded the 8 point in and stuck the car like that.

really sucks ***. anyone got any ideas how i can compensate for this to keep my 60 foot decent? or maybe i'm missing something..but car sure appears to just be twisted.

BTW, seemed ok before putting the drag bar back on..but i have zero pre load on the bar as of now, shouldn't be pushing one side up off the rearend or anything. i put the stock spring cups back in,too to get the car off the tires a bit more clearance wise, didn't do anything else..
Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 PM
SSU Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you'll need to do one of two things IMO. A., Cut out the bar, set ride height with it all straight, then weld it back in. Or B., put the drag bar back in, set preload and see if its straight like it was.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

mine sits about 1/4" higher on the drivers side and this is w/ the stock sway bar in it right now..do you have extra weigth relocated to the back? i have my battery in the passenger side rear so i figgure its probly the added weight of the battery/box/cables on that side pulling it down...

JR
Old 08-19-2005, 01:35 PM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine sits crooked... eh, don't worry
Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Motorboater

i have a bit more weight in drivers rear(side that is lower) yes. thats where my optima and box are located in my car, on the shelf right next to the t tops there on drivers side. i'd be suprised if the weight of a red top would sink the car like a 1/2 inch though
Old 08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

its possible...stock spring rate is 114 lb/in in the rear so to sink it 1/2" would be 57lbs

JR
Old 08-19-2005, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car sits crokked only in the rear you have a problem.

For the car to be higher on one side in the rear then the front wheel diagonally from it should be lower. The drag bar has enough adjustment to not sit the car crooked. Set the car on a set of scales and get the preload correct with the drag bar unhooked. Then set your drag bar in a nuetral position. One thing to remeber is the drivers weight has to be in the car. After you get out the car may sit a little crooked.

225-343-9029
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know that when the spohn 1 inch solid sway went in my car with the 12 bolt, Eastside set my car up on scales, the passenger's rear sits slightly higher then the drivers side... this was done because the swaybar was preloaded some to help keep the car level on launch. The front sits level for the most part though, if it's off at all, it's not noticable, never checked it with a ruler though to see. Neither is the rear really, unless you walk around the car with a yardstick in hand to check for it. I know that my car's strait, no bar was welded into it yet, and the frame connectors were welded on 2 years ago way before the rear or the swaybar was added
Old 08-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Motorboater

i don't have access to scales to use. The car pulls straight as an arrow from a roll or dig on the street right now, every time. I think I'm going to do some shakedown on the new drivetrain on thursday nite if all goes as planned and I'm just gonna work on the suspension and see how it goes, that's abotu the best plan I can come up with. Honestly I may have the drag not netrual or something right now, i'm not sure.

madman, exactly how do I make sure the bar is totally neutral so I can start fresh on thursday.

my pinion angle is currently set at 0, using your method of only measure the rearend in relation to the ground.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All your adjustments on the chassis need to be made with the drivers side of the antiroll unhooked. When you hook the antiroll up make the adjustment to where the bolt just slides in with no force.

225-343-9029
Old 08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Motorboater

Ok, I did hook up drivers side after passenger side.

so what I should do is unhook drivers side and check ride height in front, then hook it back up doing it so lenght of endlink allows the bolt to slide right into the bar. i'll mess with it tonite.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Ok, I did hook up drivers side after passenger side.

so what I should do is unhook drivers side and check ride height in front, then hook it back up doing it so lenght of endlink allows the bolt to slide right into the bar. i'll mess with it tonite.
you shuold be able to twist the end links and the rod ends make a clanky sound...thats pretty much unloaded and nuetral.