Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise on launching

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need advise on launching

Ok I have reaction time down (5 and 6 tenth sec. trees), and power shifting down pretty well, but I can't launch my car no matter how much I practice. I know how to ride the clutch, and cut miserable 2.2 sec. 60' times on street tires and drag radials (Didn't know it was possible, but I managed to do that). I keep hearing of dumping the clutch, and modulating wheelspin to yield great 60' times. How is this done (In layman's terms, i.e. rpms to launch at, feathering the gas, etc...). I have an untuned cam in my car (LS6 cam), so I know it was hurting my 60' times, as I am on the stock rev limiter, but I know there is something that I am missing, cause I keep seeing people post 1.7-1.8 sec. 60' times on bfg drag radials. Please give me some advise.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reaction time doesn't matter.

get the tires hot- then find the rpm point where the car doesnt' bog but doesn't blow the tires off. i don't know if people dump the clutch or what, but i'd try letting it out FAST but not just dumping it at that rpm point. a little wheel spin is not always a bad thing.

make sure the tires are HOT.

you are accepting the risk of breaking the rear also, as am i and anybody launching on dr's. don't worry too much about it but know the risk is there.

good luck, practice makes perfect.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried riding the clutch at 4500 rpms, and had minimal wheelspin, but still cut a crappy 60' time.

Does anyone know how to dump the clutch properly. I keep reading about people running 1.9-2.0 sec. 60' in these cars on street tires. Does anyone know how to do this consistantly????
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Launching!

I'd recomend upgrading your clutch. Riding it at 4500 rpm is gonna heat it up good, so it won't grab well. I'd recomend riding it at 3000 - 3200, never let it get below that rpm. On my runflats, I'm running 2.0 times.

Last edited by MagikMan; 09-11-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the last yellow goes down/comes on {depeanding on your reaction time}, slip out the clutch at about the same speed as if you were leaving a spotlight right next to a cop. But you do this while going to full throttle. It's something that you will have to practice because one track might require you slipping the clutch half way through 1st and another track might have plenty of VHT down and require hardly any slipping.

My best 60ft on Firestone Firehawks was a 1.90 using this method. My average on the Firehwaks was usually in the 2.0 range with plenty of 1.95s. As has already been menteined, it is hard on the clutch. There were times when I could only make one pass {when I had to slip it alot} then have to let it cool for 30 minutes to an hour. But,,,, my stock clutch lasted 40K miles and was still fine before swapped it for an aftermarket clutch. I added a good bit of power and the stock clutch just wouldn't hould it.

It works buts it just something that harder to write down than to do. My advise is to find a club that is having a track day so that you can get plenty of practice runs. My club {GAFBA} rents Silver Dollar Raceway twice a year and there is usually less than 150 people there for around 5 hours of racing. You can get alot of runs in if your clutch will cooperate. Me and my wife put something like 30 runs on her Mustang at the last Shootout. That's practice!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get some slicks, do a good burn out and dump the clucth (when light turns green let go of clutch) off the rev limiter. This will got me into the 1.6 60 ft's when my car was full weight M6. But yeah if you have a stock clutch and rear end they might not hang on for the ride.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

I just ran some used nittos for the first time Friday night and was dumping the clutch at 4500 to 4800 and bogging on a stock LS1 with a 6 speed
at more than 5000 it would blow them off but my best 60 ft was a 1.90
at about 4400 rpm
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Ran 1.9 on super car rubber launching with a fast clutch let out at 4500 rpm

ran 1.8 on bfg drags side steping at 5200 rpm and still bogged sometimes to 3000 rpm
little afraid to hold it to the floor off the rev limiter and dump the clutch

360 rwhp 3.42 gears C5 m6