Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some wiring info...what to take out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some wiring info...what to take out?

i'm doing away with the ac and radio in the dash, all of the air bag stuff etc in my car. i want to get rid of the wiring under the dash having to do with it. i just don't want to go hacking at it though (as i'm prone to do) does anyone have a diagram or something of exactly what to take out? if not, please post up what YOU took out of your car etc.pics and weight savings if possible. thanks guys, take care

Matt
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

Well, I just went through this. I did it without diagrams just by chasing wires. The radio harness is super easy and 5 lbs alone. The air bag harness was easy too. The pain in the *** is the ABS and Air pump harness under the hood. I also cut the black mat off the fire wall. Just take your time and spred it out over acouple of days.

Here's a pic of what you'll have to deal with.

BTW: if you don't have any power options you can pull the BCM. That's a good 80% of the wires under the dash. I decided to keep mine for now though.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Muscle

BTW: if you don't have any power options you can pull the BCM. That's a good 80% of the wires under the dash. I decided to keep mine for now though.

Or you could always pull all the BCM stuff and just wire up the switches urself for the windows And don't even worry about power locks who needs those anyways!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen
Or you could always pull all the BCM stuff and just wire up the switches urself for the windows And don't even worry about power locks who needs those anyways!

Yup.. thats what I did.. dumped ALL the stock wire and wired everything myself, much less work and I know where everything is wired and how it was wired now.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do that Liftin'em, wire up your own window/door switchs, and get rid of the extra junk.

My wire cutters and strippers are calling...
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Banned

i was thinking about going with some sheet metal door panels on the car, i could just have some old school switches mounted on the metal panels with some carpet covers what all does the BCM control? i will no longer need power winders, power seats or the power hatch popper thing...i wanna keep all the head lights tail lights etc intact though. thanks guys.

Last edited by liftin'em on nittos; 09-01-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

head lifts? coughlightscough

ditch all the cruise/ars crap too.

its gonna be fun!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

it's a street car man, gotta have cruise....haha, but yeah, all that stuff is gonna go.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

From what I've read the BCM controls pretty much all interior functions. Power windows/locks/radio/interior light/security and all that junk. It also detects the ignition location and door adjar so it can pull power when needed. I've been told the fuel pump enable runs through it and that's the reason I didn't pull mine, not sure if it's going to affect the fuel pump. From what I can tell the exterior light harness is seprate along with the DRL control.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

great info gm muscle.

liftin'em, i've drove my car with cruise on for about 2 minutes the entire time i've owned it.
pointless IMO.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a swapped car with no BCM and the fuel pump works like a champ. The PCM does all the fuel pump work
Old 09-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

dude, you can't use cruise with a th400 and 900 horses B, you know that...the fuel pump isn't an issue since it's gonna have that big pimpin fuel system anyways. the interior lights aren't all that important and i guess i could just roll the windows up and leav'em up....hmmm, interesting. thanks for all the great info guys, i really appreciate it.