Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR-1s on the Collector or......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well right now its Borla or Magnaflow, SUX2BU's got a point about the flo-pro.

SUX2BU why did you change from bullets?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Well right now its Borla or Magnaflow, SUX2BU's got a point about the flo-pro.

SUX2BU why did you change from bullets?
The bullets were PERFECT for the stock cam. It was still a little too quiet at idle for me though. At WOT it sounded SOOOOO BADASS!!!!!!!

BUT.......after i thre the Trex in it was INSANELY loud at idle and worse while driving. I put a divider/baffle in my bullets and some turndowns that quieted it down a good amount (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/499699-quieted-down-my-bullets.html) , But driving on the highway it's still too loud (90+ miles a day at 3,500 rpm's) for me, and i'm a pretty hardcore guy that can put up with ALOT.
So now i'm hoping that the Magnaflows do the trick.
I went with the Magnaflow over the Borla for a few reasons:
1.the magnaflow is 4" tall and the borla is 4.5" tall
2.Magna is 9" wide and borla is 7.85" wide (wider case= more packing to reduce sound)
3.magna is 18" long and Borla is 16" long (longer case=more packing to reduce sound)
4. and lats but most certainly not least is the price. two Borla's are over $100 more than two magna

For a completely stainless steel muffler with stainless steel packing (VERY important, fiberglass packing burns out after a while) you can't beat the magna flows price. these are the ones i got.http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&Ntt=BOR-40944 or MPE-11249&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=
Old 05-04-2006, 02:02 AM
hashtagBMW

I thought you were doing the Round Mufflers, but your doing oval, maybe i should do oval also....
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
I thought you were doing the Round Mufflers, but your doing oval, maybe i should do oval also....
I WAS going to do round but then thought, i don't spend all this coin on some new mufflers and it only be marginally quieter. So i got the biggest case (while keeping it 4" tall for ground clearence) so it is going the be the absolute quietest sound possible while still being a straight thru muffler.
I WILL post pics of the clearencing, install and a sound clip though. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. so i should have it all together sat morning.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lose 10 HP/10TQ through my single flo-pro to an open cutout. 308 with the cutout open 299 through the muffler on a mustang dyno. This is a loudmouth setup with just 1 flo pro. I would avoid them, I am getting rid of mine.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_z
I lose 10 HP/10TQ through my single flo-pro to an open cutout. 308 with the cutout open 299 through the muffler on a mustang dyno. This is a loudmouth setup with just 1 flo pro. I would avoid them, I am getting rid of mine.
EXACTLY!
I have a cam only, Trex, A3 friend who's car is identical in mods to mine, except he has twisters off the headers and i have bullets. After i get my Magna flows on i'm gonna weld some flanges on my bullets so we can do a back to back dyno on his car.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
EXACTLY!
I have a cam only, Trex, A3 friend who's car is identical in mods to mine, except he has twisters off the headers and i have bullets. After i get my Magna flows on i'm gonna weld some flanges on my bullets so we can do a back to back dyno on his car.
I am not trying to pimp the Flo-Pros, it's just my favorable muffler to the bullets. We are not even a vendor for them here at our shop, it is just that I have had good luck with them on my car as well as a few others I have referred. There was only a 0.3hp difference on true duals with an X pipe when Lane dynoed Sweet Thunders, Dynomax bullets, and Flo-Pro Twisters. I can't wait to see you results. Keep us updated
Old 05-04-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
I am not trying to pimp the Flo-Pros, it's just my favorable muffler to the bullets. We are not even a vendor for them here at our shop, it is just that I have had good luck with them on my car as well as a few others I have referred. There was only a 0.3hp difference on true duals with an X pipe when Lane dynoed Sweet Thunders, Dynomax bullets, and Flo-Pro Twisters. I can't wait to see you results. Keep us updated

At what kind of horsepower level though? A bolt on car does not need as much muffler as a max effort big cube motor, obviously. Those twisters may be more of a restriction in a higher hp combination. Remember, Vizard says you want 2.2cfm/open headered horse power total muffler flow (or 1.1 cfm per muffler in a 2 muffler system) to avoid any hp losses over open headers. I had the twisters on my old Lane's true dual setup cam only and thought they worked decently, but when I dropped the pipes the car did feel noticeably quicker (never dynoed or ran at the track though to verrify the difference). My SOTP meter has always been pretty accurate though. That and my cam was a 230/236 107lsa grind so it definately liked the free flowing exhaust as most tight lsa grinds do.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
At what kind of horsepower level though? A bolt on car does not need as much muffler as a max effort big cube motor, obviously. Those twisters may be more of a restriction in a higher hp combination. Remember, Vizard says you want 2.2cfm/open headered horse power total muffler flow (or 1.1 cfm per muffler in a 2 muffler system) to avoid any hp losses over open headers. I had the twisters on my old Lane's true dual setup cam only and thought they worked decently, but when I dropped the pipes the car did feel noticeably quicker (never dynoed or ran at the track though to verrify the difference). My SOTP meter has always been pretty accurate though. That and my cam was a 230/236 107lsa grind so it definately liked the free flowing exhaust as most tight lsa grinds do.
Thats my thinkin too. My car is a MAX effort cam only car and i want all the flow i can get. espesially since i'm going to be shifting around 7 grand.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
Thats cool to each his own. I like these spirited discussions. And I LOVE getting hard data from back to back testing. like i did with my 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 header swap.
I'll post up the results as soon as i get them.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:17 PM
hashtagBMW

Borla came in. But im thinking it might be overkill, im looking at 16.5'' bullets right now.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

You will get sick of bullets.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
You will get sick of bullets.
Yup. i found out the hardway. I parked my car two days after installing the cam. And thats AFTER i made my bullets quieter.
I'm driving my moms F150 till my Magnaflows come in. It is a nice change of pace to drive in something quiet, with a stereo and a/c though. Sad part is my car gets better gas mileage.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:40 PM
hashtagBMW

Well the borla is nice and its 3.5in/3.5out. My collector is 3in I ordered them to big since i was going with the Merge. Should I use the 3.5s or reorder the 3.0s? Im gona have to do some banging to get these to fit too.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

I would use the 3".
Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 PM
hashtagBMW

Ordered the 3''. The Xr1s look really well made, im pretty excited to hear them.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

I am the ****!!!!!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/502516-magnaflows-off-kooks-headers.html

Quick Reply: XR-1s on the Collector or......