Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who wheelie, what did you do for oil starvation prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Those who wheelie, what did you do for oil starvation prevention?

As many of you know, I blew my motor a year ago next month (Nov) and at the time I did so, I was looking at the Canton wet sump oil pan. Since then, I haven't really done much research merely for the fact it was going to be a while before I got my car back on the road.

Anyhow, so I started looking into this again. I came across the Moroso pan which looks more promising than the Canton. The Canton seems to be an aluminum fabricated pan that has baffles to trap the oil, but still retains the stock windage tray and pick up tube. While the Moroso has its own, which relocates the pick up to the back of the pan. Even though the Moroso is $122 more expensive than the Canton, it looks like a safer pan setup.

What other options do I have? Dry sump? If I went that route, who would I use for a kit and about how much am I looking at? Anyone out there that makes a direct kit for LSX engines?

Either way I go, I need to do something about this as I don't want to blow a brand new motor. It was disappointing enough to blow my cam only motor.

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Dry sump is the absolute best way to go if you can handle the expense. If not the pick up at the rear for a hard launching car.
For comparison the 4 stage set up I have on my 3rd gen cost is as follows. Pump $750, Pan $600, Tank $300, Peterson drive, pulleys, and belt $250, -12 and -16 lines and fittings $700 (less if you can use straight ends, not likely with the packaging). Equilvalent system on an LS would be at least as expensive.
Good luck
Old 10-22-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just make sure I keep the oil level a little over the full mark, use 6 quarts instead of 5.5 and so far so good, low 1.3 60' times.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club NA

I cut mid to high 1.30s as well, however, I have a problem with wheel stands. I will address that with the suspension once I get the car back on the road, but I want to be SURE that it doesn't happen again which is why I'm wanting suggestions as what to do.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know how high ur car comes, but mine goes pretty high, tryin to work on keepin her down a little more, here's a little vid:

http://www.freewebs.com/loudmouthls1...ompilation.wmv

Like I said, so far all has been good with just keepin the oil level a little over full.

Are you havin a problem with puttin her on the bumper or something?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well I almost put it on the bumper once, but the last 4 or 5 runs that I made in the car before I blew it up, I was pullin 'em roughly 3-4 ft.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Well I almost put it on the bumper once, but the last 4 or 5 runs that I made in the car before I blew it up, I was pullin 'em roughly 3-4 ft.
I would say to just keep the oil level up, but it's up to you.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

As many of you know, I blew my motor a year ago next month (Nov) and at the time I did so, I was looking at the Canton wet sump oil pan. Since then, I haven't really done much research merely for the fact it was going to be a while before I got my car back on the road.
The only oil starvation problem I have had is from the last wheelie that broke the pan. W2W makes a dry sump kit for a little over 3k.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I never had problems with pulling the wheels, my problem was when stopping on short tracks, a good pan was all it took to fix that issue. I use a belt driven pump on the slow car, and loved it, yes a full blown dry sump is best for several reasons, but a good oversized pan should be fine at your ET, I ran 8.50 with a 7 qt pan pulling 50-55 ft wheelies. More oil capacity is always better. Go with the best you can afford, don't gamble with oil system, good luck, be safe.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone have experience with the new Moroso oil pan/kit?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just run 6 qts also never had any probs yet. Everything is stock in the oiling department.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car and my friends car dont stand on the bumpers... but we do pull the fronts a inch or two.. lol.

im really worried about that myself, and ive been looking into it.

as "low buck" guys, we cant afford a full drysump setup.... i think ive decided to just run a halfquart extra oil, and a oil accumulator.

my theory (keep in mind, i said THEORY) is that the extra oil should help keep the pickup submerged under launch.... and the stock pan is decent at keeping the oil from crawling up the back too much...

but on the brakes at the other end, the pressure will still drop... im convinced thats where my friends were spinning bearings..... so im going to run the accumulator and hope that it keeps the pressure up while on the brakes hard...

you'll probably look at the pans and pumps out of my price range.. but if you're still staying wet sump, you might want to look at the oil accumulator too.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see so many guys saying they have problems when on the brakes after a run (oil stavation, fuel cell coming up dry, etc.). How ******* short is the shut down area?!?! I trapped 135 in the 1/4 last time out and had ample time to never even really get on the brakes hard. You know you don't HAVE to make the first turn off, right?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, with the stock oiling system including the stock pan, the engine requires 5 1/2 quarts. So you guys are saying that only a 1/2 quart over will solve this problem? I don't mind dishing out a few hundred dollars for the added insurance on a $10k motor. I just wanted to see if anyone has done a comparison between the Moroso and Canton or any other pans out there for our cars.

A few thousand dollars on a dry sump is also another route as well. Doesn't this net you more power too? If so, about how much are we talking? Does anyone know if there's a company/sponsor here besides W2W that makes a complete kit for our cars?

What's an oil accumulator?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

Just Put An Accusump On It And Never Worry Again All The Insurance Of The Dry Sump Without The Cost.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

What's an Accusump? Do they make a kit for the LS1/F-body? Any sponsors carry them?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

Did a Google search on it, site came right up. Its a product produced by Canton, what a coencidence. Seems like a nice system. I looked around, but had no luck, do they make a kit for a LS1/F-body or do I just have to piece a kit together? Any sponsors sell this item?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
I see so many guys saying they have problems when on the brakes after a run (oil stavation, fuel cell coming up dry, etc.). How ******* short is the shut down area?!?! I trapped 135 in the 1/4 last time out and had ample time to never even really get on the brakes hard. You know you don't HAVE to make the first turn off, right?
I always use the last turn off, I was refering to cars like mine having more oil issues with stopping than launching. The chutes, brakes, short tracks. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Obviously 210+ is different than 135. Even my slow car at 160 does not like short tracks. My trans guy won't let me click off the motor, so you get oil issues. Just trying to help.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
I always use the last turn off, I was refering to cars like mine having more oil issues with stopping than launching. The chutes, brakes, short tracks. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Obviously 210+ is different than 135. Even my slow car at 160 does not like short tracks. My trans guy won't let me click off the motor, so you get oil issues. Just trying to help.
exactly at 178 when you dump the chute oil does strange things.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:56 PM

Did a Google search on it, site came right up. Its a product produced by Canton, what a coencidence. Seems like a nice system. I looked around, but had no luck, do they make a kit for a LS1/F-body or do I just have to piece a kit together? Any sponsors sell this item?
you shouldn't need a specific kit just stick it out front put to extra quarts in the car and run a line to the block or oil pan, by the filter or wherever and basically it builds pressure while the motor is running and stores the extra oil then on start up or whenever pressure drops it oils the motor then refills when it gets pressure back. it pretty much is just a recirculating system like a radiator overflow tank.

Quick Reply: Those who wheelie, what did you do for oil starvation prevention?