Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roll Cage Advice

I'm looking at getting a 10 pt cage done. I want it for saftey first and inspection second. Its not going to be a strictly race car. I'm still going to street drive it so I want to be able to use my backseats.

I know WOLFE makes one that I can use the backseats. My question is, Is there any other choices on cages. I don't have a problem with the WOLFE one or the price I was just wondering who else offers a good cage. Also will I still need to get it certified to race with.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go faster than 9.99 you will need it inspected. I have a WOlfe 10 pt in stock. All chromemoly and jig notched.

225-343-9029
Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwaldt
I'm looking at getting a 10 pt cage done. I want it for saftey first and inspection second. Its not going to be a strictly race car. I'm still going to street drive it so I want to be able to use my backseats.

I know WOLFE makes one that I can use the backseats. My question is, Is there any other choices on cages. I don't have a problem with the WOLFE one or the price I was just wondering who else offers a good cage. Also will I still need to get it certified to race with.

if you want to use the backseats, dont get a rollbar or cage. peroid.

until you find a way that two objects can occupy the same space at the same time, safely.. it cannot be done.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

But, doesn't Wolfe make the over the back seat bar? I thought that was the purpose of that. To be able to retain the use of the back seat.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwaldt
But, doesn't Wolfe make the over the back seat bar? I thought that was the purpose of that. To be able to retain the use of the back seat.
think about the backseat when you sit in it.... how close is your head to the roof?

now, unless the bar is so far forward that its over the drivers head, you will basicly have a main hoop bar in your face.

now, you can remove the crossbar. the driver will no longer have a place to mount a harness, and the strength of the roll hoop is compromised, but someone can get back there...

except that if there are any rear downbars at all, no matter where you put them, they're right next to the head of whoever is in the rear seat.

there is no way to do it safely, UNLESS its jsut a "style bar" with no cross brace and no front/rear support... and even then a rear passengers head may contact it in an accident.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

This is the one I'm talking about. All the pictures they show I'd still be able to ride my kids back there for a few more years, they are 2 and 4, still use car seats. A pain yes but I'd still be able to on occasion.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

I may just go with a 6pt. weld in roll bar. 95% of my drag strip racing is going to be done on an 1/8th mile track. I would love to get the car setup and get one run in the nines on a 1/4 mile track though. I'm not really sure what I'm going to run but I don't want to skimp out on the bar/cage so whichever way ends up being the best for me thats the way I'm going.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

The photo there does not show the completed cage. The crossbar was installed, it is required to be legal. I wouldn't recommend butting any kids in the back seat with a roll cage or even a roll bar. If anything was to happed, the bars are ver unforgiving to a head.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan / Wolfe Race Craft
The photo there does not show the completed cage. The crossbar was installed, it is required to be legal. I wouldn't recommend butting any kids in the back seat with a roll cage or even a roll bar. If anything was to happed, the bars are ver unforgiving to a head.

Off Topic....

Dan,
Are the rear bars that go through the rear speakers legal according to the NHRA rulebook? There was a debate about it in the past and I do not think it was actually resolved as to how those bars were legal.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

I guess this means I'll be selling my leather seats and just getting the cage. If I've got to go without using the rear seats to be safe, then atleast one kid can ride up front with me occasionally.

Its not a bad thing but I guess this car is becoming more of a racecar than a street/strip car.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:29 PM
hashtagBMW

I wouldnt be having a child ride in a 650hp car anyway man.

Tony.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Density

Tony.
Not being trying to be sarcastic but its no different than a 115hp ride. As long as you know how to keep it under the speed limit. Plus their safer in my ride with a cage at 55mph than a car without a cage at 55mph. I'm not stupid enough to nail it with my kids in there.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Density

Tony.

LOL.. Mine rides in the back of mine on the way to the track. I don't have my cage installed yet though.

Of course he sits with my wife and cheers me on while I race.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage Advice