Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe aluminum door panels/window switches

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wolfe aluminum door panels/window switches

Anyone have the Wolfe panels and if so, how did you mount the power window switches?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Center area where the radio or HVAC controls used to be.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
That seems like it would be a PITA to wire up. Unless you just tapped into the wiring before it ran into the door I guess. Pulling wires through the doors sucks.

Ive been eyeballing these panels and wondering the same thing. That and what people are doing for a pull handle?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

For handle they dont use any, seen any race cars with pull handles? At this point you have a crew to open/close door, line you up for the burnout and set you up in the lane to turn the first bulb on.

I really dont know what people are doing but the ones i have seen have the relocated. and when you relocate, you can removed all the wiring in the passenger side door too, for even more weight reduction.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
9 Second Club

That's a good idea but I'll have to find switches that mount differently to make it work. I'm hoping someone has done this already and will post up
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM
9 Second Club

For handle they dont use any, seen any race cars with pull handles? At this point you have a crew to open/close door, line you up for the burnout and set you up in the lane to turn the first bulb on.

I really dont know what people are doing but the ones i have seen have the relocated. and when you relocate, you can removed all the wiring in the passenger side door too, for even more weight reduction.
hehe, I don't have a crew, I drive this on the street.
I was thinking of doing a black nylon strap bolted into the original bolt holes for the stock handle and panel.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/images/fbdoorlg.jpg

that looks like a pull handle.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastenough
That's the door handle that opens the door.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race cars have pull handles. its the brace that goes from the top of the lexan window to the top of the door. and so there isnt any confusion, yes there is door handles in there too.

On a car with glass windows that still roll up and down, if you dont have a handle to pull the door closed, youll have to roll the window down and use the top of the door to pull it closed. Thats the main reason I leave stock door panels in cars with stock glass. Its not worth saving a few pounds from a stock door panel when you still have the heavy glass in the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, I agree, leaving the stock stuff in there does seem to be easier.
OR do as I have done, take door panels off, zip tie the stock controls down low so the window doesnt catch the wires and go race!! Plenty of spots to grab the door then.
Originally Posted by promod1955
Race cars have pull handles. its the brace that goes from the top of the lexan window to the top of the door. and so there isnt any confusion, yes there is door handles in there too.

On a car with glass windows that still roll up and down, if you dont have a handle to pull the door closed, youll have to roll the window down and use the top of the door to pull it closed. Thats the main reason I leave stock door panels in cars with stock glass. Its not worth saving a few pounds from a stock door panel when you still have the heavy glass in the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Its easier, but mainly, its a lot cleaner looking. In the drag cars I build, if you want a realy light door, I use a fiberglass/carbon fiber racing door. Then you can use lexan windows, a lightweight inside latch/handle assembly, and i get rid of the stock hinges and use a lightweight hinge setup that also allows you to remove the door by just opening it up and pulling straight up.

This is nice when your loading or unloading a car in an enclosed trailer. you can hang the door on the wall so its never in the way. Also working on the car, its nice to have the door out of the way. Obviously I wouldnt recommend this setup on a street car.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive been around many race cars and seen many different pull handle setups from flexible straps to rigid metal handles bolted down that look like the belong on a shop cabinet instead of a race car door. The nicest Ive seen though was on a 94 Z28 that had aluminum door panels and custom fabbed aluminum pull handles that also housed the window/lock switches.

Besides that, down here in FL, lots of race cars get street driven
Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

The wolfe panels weigh next to nothing so it's a 20lb weight savings for both panels, I think it's worth it for 20 lbs. I just ordered some switches, I'll post up pics when it's done.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Plus wolfe has a sale now, the panels usually cost $199 but they have a 20% off sale going on, so it's $160 for 20lbs, not bad.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

example in this thread, i have seen other examples on the site:
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...cated+switches
Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

At least cover them in some lightweight carpet. Nothing looks tackier then bare aluminum panels in a street car. That will help cut the noise back down from running just an aluminum panel.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

the window switches is the ONLY reason i havn't installed my wolfe door panels yet...looks like a pita.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by promod1955
At least cover them in some lightweight carpet. Nothing looks tackier then bare aluminum panels in a street car. That will help cut the noise back down from running just an aluminum panel.
I plan on covering them but I wanna see how they look 1st, I have an aluminum shifter cover and seats so maybe it'll look good, we'll see.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
the window switches is the ONLY reason i havn't installed my wolfe door panels yet...looks like a pita.
I ordered the window switches today, I'm not messin' with the mirror or lock switches, I don't think it's gonna be that bad.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

tek, can you pm me numbers, or pics of what you're ordering? thanks

Quick Reply: Wolfe aluminum door panels/window switches