Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrowed 12 Bolt .. Strange vs Moser

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Narrowed 12 Bolt .. Strange vs Moser

Just got off the phone with both companies.

Strange 12 Bolt

148 .lbs
narrow 3" no problem
3-4 weeks to build

Moser 12 Bolt

260 .lbs (exactly what the guy said)
Narrowed 1.5" is all you can go with out getting rid of the lca mount(per the guy at Moser)
2 days to build

1. I know two guys on here with 325's have narrowed there S60 3". Is there some reason you cant narrow a 12 bolt, or why Moser cant narrow a 12 bolt???

2. O ya and whats up with the weight difference?? I asked them both the weight for my setup with spools and lightend parts.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Something doesn't seem right, the weight's can't be that much different, and if strange can narrow the rear 3 inches per side what is moser's problem?

I'm sure there are people on here with moser rear's athat have been chopped 3 inches per side.... I find it really hard to believe that you can't narrow a moser 3 inches, but can with the others... makes no sense.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100 lbs, all I can say is damn!!

My slow car has a moser 9" because we didn't want to wait for strange. 8.50 with no problems ever. If you go that direction I wouldn't worry.

Strange must have some really light parts, 150 lbs with brakes, sounds lite, double check they understood what you wanted. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Race your car!

I agree, that 150 lbs might be without brakes, if that's with the brakes I'll have a mser 12 bolt for sale in the near future LOL.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Coal Mining Director

Moser 12bolt with backing plates and fluid is 196lbs in the stock length. I weighed one.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Ok so the weight question is answered.

Is that with a posi or spool?

Does anyone have a narrowed 12bolt 3"???

Last edited by roadtrip120; 01-26-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) the moser guy has no clue what he is talking about
2) weight is not that different. in fact, its nearly identical
3) you can narrow up to 3" if you want a set of offself LCAs
4) look up LS1mongrel - he posted pix of his narrowed 3" per side strange 12 bolt.

plenty of us have narrowed rears, myself included. the type of rear has no bearing.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
1) the moser guy has no clue what he is talking about
2) weight is not that different. in fact, its nearly identical
3) you can narrow up to 3" if you want a set of offself LCAs
4) look up LS1mongrel - he posted pix of his narrowed 3" per side strange 12 bolt.

plenty of us have narrowed rears, myself included. the type of rear has no bearing.

See thats what i thought, i was reading your posts on your car and what you did

Just to clarify, i have to buy single or double LCA's for the 3" fitment issue.

What has to be done to the rear end from the manufacturer? Do i need to tell them anything besides "narrow the thing 3" per side"??

I'm a little concerned about Moser not knowing their stuff now, with the weight and narrowing thing.

Which is a better rearend??
Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I have a Moser that is narrowed 3" each side. I has someone local take 3" off each side, after I blew up the posi & had to have it rebuilt anyway. I sent the axles to Moser to have them narowed, gun drilled, and lightened.

You will loose your E-Brake with 3" off each side. Other than that, no problems on that combo with the spool.

You'll take off a good bit of weight by narowing, especially if you gun drill & lighten the axles.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what i was looking for, How much does yours weigh in at now?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Race your car!

If I remember correctly, I think the strange 12 bolt housing has the long lag style bolts that go thru the housing unlike the moser. Those bolts = no problems with them loosening up. If that is still trus, I'd go for that for that reason alone.... I've personally never had a problem with the bolts loosening up in my moser, but if I had to do it again and buy a 12 bolt, that's what I would do.

If I had my choice of any rear for my car, I'd buy a narrowed 3 in per side fab 9 inch, with a spool and an alum. center section, now you have the best of all worlds, a very light, and very strong rear. Big $ though, probably close to a grand more then a narrowed 12 bolt.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

You wont have to do anything to the LCA. I have off set bushings from Billingsley, butu they dont affect the mounting of the LCA. They still mount in the stock location.

I think you got a bad sales rep. Call them back. You should be able to just tell them to take 3" off each side of the stock measurements.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If I remember correctly, I think the strange 12 bolt housing has the long lag style bolts that go thru the housing unlike the moser. Those bolts = no problems with them loosening up. If that is still trus, I'd go for that for that reason alone.... I've personally never had a problem with the bolts loosening up in my moser, but if I had to do it again and buy a 12 bolt, that's what I would do.

If I had my choice of any rear for my car, I'd buy a narrowed 3 in per side fab 9 inch, with a spool and an alum. center section, now you have the best of all worlds, a very light, and very strong rear. Big $ though, probably close to a grand more then a narrowed 12 bolt.

Moser over strange b/c of the T/Q mounting? I thought the moser had four bolts that back off even with locktight??

If you go aluminum center , on the street it warps some, right?

Originally Posted by Black Sunshine/ 00SS
You wont have to do anything to the LCA. I have off set bushings from Billingsley, butu they dont affect the mounting of the LCA. They still mount in the stock location.

I think you got a bad sales rep. Call them back. You should be able to just tell them to take 3" off each side of the stock measurements.
cool deal, thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

moser built my rear for me 1.25 inches narrower on each side so that my 15x8.5 covo pros fit perfectly. Is there a reason you want to go a full 3 inches.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
Moser over strange b/c of the T/Q mounting? I thought the moser had four bolts that back off even with locktight??

If you go aluminum center , on the street it warps some, right?

cool deal, thanks

no, strange over the moser, moser does have 4 small bolts, I do believe the strange used a stock style bolt.

I dunno about the alum center section warping on the street, I know alum spools will do that so that's why they are a race only item, but I don't believe the center section would be a problem
Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Coal Mining Director

Ok so the weight question is answered.

Is that with a posi or spool?

Does anyone have a narrowed 12bolt 3"???

Eaton posi. A spool would be much lighter.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
FormerVendor

I drove my 9" w/aluminum CC for 5 years on the street with no problems.

The weight difference between a Moser and a Strange can be attributed to the heavy wall 3" axle tubes Moser uses and Strange does not. even so, the weight difference is only about 10#. The 260# weight is shipping weight with pallet and packaging included...

I weighed a Moser 12 bolt w/posi at 186#. My new Moser 9" goes in at 182# with 40 spline axles, aluminum CC, Pro Pinion support, and spool. It is narrowed 3" per side for my mini-tubs.

Shane
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I drove my 9" w/aluminum CC for 5 years on the street with no problems.

The weight difference between a Moser and a Strange can be attributed to the heavy wall 3" axle tubes Moser uses and Strange does not. even so, the weight difference is only about 10#. The 260# weight is shipping weight with pallet and packaging included...

I weighed a Moser 12 bolt w/posi at 186#. My new Moser 9" goes in at 182# with 40 spline axles, aluminum CC, Pro Pinion support, and spool. It is narrowed 3" per side for my mini-tubs.

Shane
Wow, interesting weight btwn the two.

Any body have a Moser 12 with light weight internals??

I was looking at the light weight options
-Gun drilled for 33 spline
-Star flanged / or lightening holes
-Ring gear lightening
-Narrowed 3" (Should save some good Lb.)

-Strange doesn't advertise gun drilling for anything smaller than 35 spline.
-They have the better housing with factory style torque arm mounts
-Lighten flanges
Narrowed 3" (not as much weight saved as the heavier Moser)
Spool light weight (steel)

dang, 15 posts and still not closer to which company has the better part for me.

I'm looking for strength (470hp/420tq 250 shot), and light weight, with out the drivetrain loss of a 9"..

keep the help coming
Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Coal Mining Director

Wow, interesting weight btwn the two.

Any body have a Moser 12 with light weight internals??

I was looking at the light weight options
-Gun drilled for 33 spline
-Star flanged / or lightening holes
-Ring gear lightening
-Narrowed 3" (Should save some good Lb.)

-Strange doesn't advertise gun drilling for anything smaller than 35 spline.
-They have the better housing with factory style torque arm mounts
-Lighten flanges
Narrowed 3" (not as much weight saved as the heavier Moser)
Spool light weight (steel)

dang, 15 posts and still not closer to which company has the better part for me.

I'm looking for strength (470hp/420tq 250 shot), and light weight, with out the drivetrain loss of a 9"..

keep the help coming

I'll give ya some more confusion....I've owned both the Moser and the Strange 12bolt. IMHO the Strange "looks" more OEM than Moser due to the smaller axle tubes and some of the brackets. The Moser "looks" stronger due to the larger axle tubes and the center section.

I've run the Moser 12 for 2 years without a TA bolt coming loose....at the track....low tens to high 9's at +140mph.

Trick is to install the TA to the 12bolt while it's out of the car. Torque to spec plus use locktite.....it's VERY hard to torque those bolts to spec with the 12bolt under the car with a torque wrench....it will surprise you how much grunt it takes to do it correctly..

I'd buy Moser again....take your pic....have a professional shop check the backlash, etc on either rear you chose as both Strange and Moser can be spottty on set-up.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
I'll give ya some more confusion....I've owned both the Moser and the Strange 12bolt. IMHO the Strange "looks" more OEM than Moser due to the smaller axle tubes and some of the brackets. The Moser "looks" stronger due to the larger axle tubes and the center section.

I've run the Moser 12 for 2 years without a TA bolt coming loose....at the track....low tens to high 9's at +140mph.

Trick is to install the TA to the 12bolt while it's out of the car. Torque to spec plus use locktite.....it's VERY hard to torque those bolts to spec with the 12bolt under the car with a torque wrench....it will surprise you how much grunt it takes to do it correctly..

I'd buy Moser again....take your pic....have a professional shop check the backlash, etc on either rear you chose as both Strange and Moser can be spottty on set-up.

Thanks , that makes the pick a lot easier

Quick Reply: Narrowed 12 Bolt .. Strange vs Moser