Sponsored by:

Upgrades needed to make a C5 run single digits

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrades needed to make a C5 run single digits

I have tried searches and all I get is a request timed out page

so I will post this question here and hopefully it is in the correct spot.

First I am looking at a C5 Vette project car. It will be a summer toy driven to work and the store etc when the weather is nice but also as a car I can take to the track and have some fun with.

With that said it needs to run at least a mid 10 second pass but ultimately I want to run 9s with it.

My question is - what do i need to upgrade suspension and drivetrain wise to hold the power?

Oh and i want to do this with a M6
Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

With a 6 speed your gonna need to upgrade the tranny and the differential which isnt cheap in these cars, and your probably gonna need to run a dte tranny brace. Your going to want to look into upgrading the torque tube bushings as they usually give with that kind of power. As for the suspension, leave it stock or maybe put some z06 shocks on it, its fine the way it is.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Your gonna need to upgrade from a C5 to an Fbody.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

yeah i have thought about just getting an F-Body - but i dont see too many hard running vettes around my parts - there all pretty much stock

i just like the C5 - and im probably stubborn enough to go through with it
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Juiced6
yeah i have thought about just getting an F-Body - but i dont see too many hard running vettes around my parts - there all pretty much stock

i just like the C5 - and im probably stubborn enough to go through with it
The Vettes have several problems with going "fast". Your going to need supports on the rear. The last I had heard nobody makes a really good tranny for them and most people don't want to spend the cash required to mod a Vette for drag racing although there are several of them that are set up to the run the numbers. I don't know enough about drag racing a Vette to tell you where to go.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Stock cubes with heads/cam/intake and a turbo/blower.. 370cid iron block with a turbo/blower.. 383 with nitrous or 408 with nitrous.. Any of those will get you deep in the 10s or 9's with ease.. The only problem is building the car to handle the power!!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 PM
LC
TECH Resident

if you can blow a hot load of cash do a solid rear axle conversion, front tranny and add the power...
Old 03-24-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock longblock with power adder Z06 record is 10.5. I ran the time below bonestock with spray and one hardened axle, clutch and DTE brace and over 200 passes. I blew a piston last Saturady hitting 665rwtq (thread and vid in n2o section). Looking for deep 10's or high 9's this year, on forged ls6. Rodney over the vette forum builds M6/12's that can handle the heat, allthough I am still on stock gear box. Takes a good gear slammer to get these times as i am sure you know.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/678037-up-flames-fire-bad.html
Robert
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
if you can blow a hot load of cash do a solid rear axle conversion, front tranny and add the power...
I've never seen it done but I heard someone was doing just that. They put a solid axle in it and an fbody TH-400 tranny and D/S. Haven't heard what it runs though.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bull ****!!! We'll see if a C5 can't run single digits. Once completed I'll be running mid to low 7's. BTW, that's 7's on a quarter mile track. And I'm building this in the comfort of my garage.

-Dave

BTW, here's Paul Major's rear mounted turbo C5 running a 7.54

And that was last year. He'll be faster this year. No, you don't have to have an F-body to get into the single digits.

Oh, and let's not forget Leo Barnaby's C4!!!

Last edited by dacajun; 03-25-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 AM
9 Second Club

Those corvettes are only running the 1/8 mile
Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ninetres
Those corvettes are only running the 1/8 mile
Well that just goes to show how fast they are going. These two videos are both on 1/4 mile tracks. Take a look at the MPH on the C4, 199mph. If this would be an 1/8 track, that would have to be a Top Fuel car to get that kinda a MPH. Sorry dude, both 1/4 tracks.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dacajun
Bull ****!!! We'll see if a C5 can't run single digits. Once completed I'll be running mid to low 7's. BTW, that's 7's on a quarter mile track. And I'm building this in the comfort of my garage.-Dave
Looks good so far Dave. Is it set up like an Fbody would be? Solid rear axle and Fbody tranny?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good so far Dave. Is it set up like an Fbody would be? Solid rear axle and Fbody tranny?

I went as far as labeling what is where in the above picture of the Vette to answer those questions. Yes, just like an F-body; solid rear axle with a torque arm and a Powerglide bolted to the back of the motor. As a matter of fact I used my BMR F-body torque arm and lower control arms from my 2000 Trans AM to mock it up. So in the end this car will have your basic run of the mill F-body rear suspension. With that, I hope not to be discriminated against when I show up at the track.

-Dave
Old 03-25-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

They allow the F-bod type suspesion in some of the new classes for safety purposes, that's why Paul is running this set-up. What's the big deal, it's still a C5, like the full on race f-bods. There are many 9sec C5s just go over to the vette forum and you can see for your self. The fastest C6 Z06 is now a 9 sec car running only a dry shot. Check the vette section here for pic/write up on doing the f-bod susp on a Vette. check out the new GMHTP rag for one of the vetteforum 9sec cars.

Oh yea, I am putting a forged motor together and we will see if I can get my ls6/m12 into the high 9's, and running the independant rear.
Robert
Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dacajun
I went as far as labeling what is where in the above picture of the Vette to answer those questions. Yes, just like an F-body; solid rear axle with a torque arm and a Powerglide bolted to the back of the motor. As a matter of fact I used my BMR F-body torque arm and lower control arms from my 2000 Trans AM to mock it up. So in the end this car will have your basic run of the mill F-body rear suspension. With that, I hope not to be discriminated against when I show up at the track.

-Dave
Looks good, looks like it ought to haul ***. I take it your building it to run in a specific class, if so what class? Why would you be discriminated against, because it's not stock suspended?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

A fast Vette that you can drive every weekend and not have to worry about breaking takes a lot. I know because thats what my brother has to deal with a lot. It's on rearend #3, stock one blew up, fully built one **** the case out, and now we are on the 2nd Built one. You are still limited to a stock housing, but I think they just came out with a DTE one, but its like $6k I think for it all. He has the Hardened G-Force Output shaft, LPE Long side, DTE Short side, DTE Clutch packs , DTE Rearend Brace, etc.. Transmissions now are a lot stronger, Rodney, MTI, and Joe @ SixSpeedinc.com can build you a transmission to hold the power. For motors it doesn't take a lot but at the same time the smaller guys have to REALLY drive the cars out of the hole, and if you have almost ANY wheel hop its game over.. :-\

http://www.vobra.org/vids/mattnew.wmv
Here is my brothers car on the first passes with nitrous (His 10.55 on motor was letting out..) He wasn't spraying it until he got a decent way out on his first passes. As he put in the Texas section "I know the car will go 9.XX next time out at 145-150mph or I will leave the rearend at the starting line!"
Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
A fast Vette that you can drive every weekend and not have to worry about breaking takes a lot. I know because thats what my brother has to deal with a lot. It's on rearend #3, stock one blew up, fully built one **** the case out, and now we are on the 2nd Built one. You are still limited to a stock housing, but I think they just came out with a DTE one, but its like $6k I think for it all. He has the Hardened G-Force Output shaft, LPE Long side, DTE Short side, DTE Clutch packs , DTE Rearend Brace, etc.. Transmissions now are a lot stronger, Rodney, MTI, and Joe @ SixSpeedinc.com can build you a transmission to hold the power. For motors it doesn't take a lot but at the same time the smaller guys have to REALLY drive the cars out of the hole, and if you have almost ANY wheel hop its game over.. :-\

http://www.vobra.org/vids/mattnew.wmv
Here is my brothers car on the first passes with nitrous (His 10.55 on motor was letting out..) He wasn't spraying it until he got a decent way out on his first passes. As he put in the Texas section "I know the car will go 9.XX next time out at 145-150mph or I will leave the rearend at the starting line!"
That's one bad azz car, with mucho left on the table. I have been lucky with my stock rear, and launch at 5500/6000 with a basic clutch dump. I use the instant 636rwtq to ensure a little tire slipping is going on. I know I am leaving short time on the table, but these rears are a nightmare. So far, with over 200 passes I have only broke the stock long shaft on bfgs, now run the ET Steets to help absorb some on launch. What kind of 60's is your brother getting, looks like he was leaving pretty soft on the video?
Robert
Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah he had never made a pass on n2o, plus last pass he made was the 2nd rear ends last day LOL!! It started off with shattering the long side. Then he had the output shaft on the tranny and destroyed the first inside LOL. 2nd time it was just a tiny bit of wheel hop on a really sticky track He let out hoping the 1 second of it would not hurt it. Sure enough we jacked up the rear-end we started pulling out chunks of aluminum. When we got it up on a lift and lowered the cradle the rear-end came down with it and part of the tailshafts housing LOL!

You going to use the dry kit on the new motor or going a different route? We had a dry shot with the large NOS solenoid and a NOS nozzle with no jet. Made ~200rwhp extra. Was it a lot better to control because it was not a huge torque spike.