Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" true duals VS Magnaflow mufflers off the collectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007 | 04:14 PM
Retired Street Racer

Default 3" true duals VS Magnaflow mufflers off the collectors

Hey guys, I figured I would post this here since the majority of those who go to mufflers right off of the headers use it for drag racing only. My old setup before was 3" true duals, into a X pipe, then Sweet Thunder mufflers, then dumps before the axles. The sound wasn't too bad, but they hit my torque arm and created problems when I was working on the car on the lift. My new setup is Magnaflow 4x9 oval mufflers (3"in/3"out) off of the collectors, then dumps right by the tunnel area. Overall I am very happy with the change. They are not much louder than the duals (more of a deeper tone). The weight difference between the two is 60lbs I didn't think it would be that much, but I weighed the car before (3410) and after (3350) on the same scale, with the same amount of gas so it would be accurate. Plus, after driving around with them, I gained 1.3 mpg city over the duals. The only problems that arose from the install was the driver side clearance as the car is pretty low to begin with. We had to beat the floor in pretty good, weld a flange on the end of the collector, and then weld hangars on the end to the subframe connector. I don't have any sound clips, but here are some pics showing the clearance.

Old 05-13-2007 | 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

i am surprised its louder. is that a straight through muffler?
Old 05-13-2007 | 04:59 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
i am surprised its louder. is that a straight through muffler?
Yeah they're straight through. They are deeper more than they are louder. I think the difference I am hearing is because they dump right under my seat compared to right before the axle ya know.
Old 05-13-2007 | 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I imagine changing from dynomax bullets on TD's to the magnaflows off the headers would probably be quieter afterwards then. That's it, I'm doing it.

Marty
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:31 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
I imagine changing from dynomax bullets on TD's to the magnaflows off the headers would probably be quieter afterwards then. That's it, I'm doing it.

Marty
The weight savings alone is worth it
Old 05-14-2007 | 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt D
The weight savings alone is worth it
Yeah I am well aware, we just have super smog ****'s in WA though. Guess I'll just have to baby it around town.

Matt, did you use any turndowns off the mufflers and if so which way did you face them?

Marty
Old 05-14-2007 | 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Looks good
I like how you painted them black.
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:03 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
Matt, did you use any turndowns off the mufflers and if so which way did you face them?

Marty
Yeah, we used some Flowmaster turndowns. They are not dumped straight down, they are angled a little outwards to keep the noise level down. (This is my daily driver all year round) You can see in the pics I posted above of the angle. Here they are on Summit's site: TURNDOWNS

Originally Posted by BAIN
Looks good
I like how you painted them black.
Thanks man, I like them black too. You're the one that convinced me to do it. Thanks for all of your help and answering my questions before hand.
Old 05-14-2007 | 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Mr.MartyStone

I did that exact swap, and it got quieter. I love the sound of these mufflers!
Old 05-14-2007 | 03:57 PM
dug
Banned

so the xpipe isnt worth any power?

what do you think about running oval pipes and muffler?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

it could add another inch of ground clearance.
Old 05-14-2007 | 04:14 PM
Banned

looks good matt - how is it driving around with those things and your new stance???
Old 05-14-2007 | 05:02 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by dug
so the xpipe isnt worth any power?

what do you think about running oval pipes and muffler?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

it could add another inch of ground clearance.
The fastest Stock Internal guys all switched from 3" duals with an X pipe to mufflers off of the headers and went faster. You can chalk that up to the weight factor more than anything I think. (50lbs less with the mufflers off of the collectors) But putting these on won't HURT power at all as long as you get it tuned and are running enough muffler/piping after the o2s if you're running the car in closed loop mode. My car was running really rich even when I had the duals on, so we waited to tune it until after the new exhaust went on.

Those look like mine. Mine are oval as well, just 4x9 instead of 3x8 like the Borlas. I also paid $70 a piece for mine and the Borlas are $220 a piece. I would rather have these because I know they are quieter (I daily drive the car), they have been proven on the track, and they are cheaper.

Originally Posted by imslow
looks good matt - how is it driving around with those things and your new stance???
It is fine now that we welded the hangars and beat the floor in. Before that, they were scraping on EVERYTHING. I don't plan on taking them off anytime soon as I can drop the trans with them still on.
Old 09-24-2007 | 10:27 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I ordered these tonight too. I am running 3" Spiral Flows on the collectors and its LOUD. I'm hoping this gets it back to a realistic decibal level.

Matt, you got any pics of what you had to do to the floor on the drivers side?
Old 09-25-2007 | 04:49 AM
Race your car!

I thought about doing exactly what you did, but ended up with a set of turndowns off the collectors (track only car) I lost a ton of weight from the y pipe/LM catback. I have to put somethign on it to get the exhaust to exit behind the door for next year per the class rules I want to run, but if it wasn't for that I would be leaving it just how it is.
Old 09-25-2007 | 07:55 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by TS6
I ordered these tonight too. I am running 3" Spiral Flows on the collectors and its LOUD. I'm hoping this gets it back to a realistic decibal level.

Matt, you got any pics of what you had to do to the floor on the drivers side?
Those will definitely quiet it down and actually have a better sound to them.

I don't have any pics of the floor, but it wasn't pretty, lol. But it's not like anyone gets under there and sees it. The muffler hides it on the bottom and the seat covers it on top.
Old 09-25-2007 | 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you get a Video up,so we can here what it sounds like??
BTLFEDSS
Old 09-25-2007 | 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

matt in the one pic it looks like the dump has already hit the pavement, i'd cut them more flush instead of round to get another 1" or so of ground clearance.
Old 09-26-2007 | 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Here are a couple of pics of mine and a video. They aren't quiet by any means, but the quietest you're going to get with this kind of setup.

Old 09-26-2007 | 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good,I think i'll be running this setup for next season,Thanx Bain
BTLFEDSS
Old 09-26-2007 | 05:07 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Put mine on today, not as quiet as I thought it'd be, but still sounds good. Really low, like I'm sitting on a subwoofer.

One note, I notice all you guys turn your turn downs out, try turning them in. For one, its supposed to help with the noise, for two, it will help keep the fumes away from the window, and three, it keeps your car from kicking dust to the outside, which is super annoying at car shows and stuff.

Quick Reply: 3" true duals VS Magnaflow mufflers off the collectors