Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which lane do you prefer when bracket racing?
Left
9.80%
Right
23.53%
I don't care, I switch up most the day
9.80%
It depends more on the track/day
56.86%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Bracket racing guys. Which lane Right or Left? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bracket racing guys. Which lane Right or Left? Why?

Which lane do you prefer? Why?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted for it depends more on the track/day. Not really the day so much but the track.

My lane choice depends on which track I am racing at. Could be the way the sun sets at a particular track or traction issues at a track.

I do have my good old faithful way of picking my lanes. Which ever lane I do a better wheelie in.

Coach
Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of guys with door cars that have tall scoops prefer the right lane so they dont have to look over/around the scoop.

I just go off what lanes more consistent. If I get two time runs, I'll run the right first, then the left. I usualy run the left and if I ever get stuck in the right, I take into consideration from the time runs if that lane is faster or slower, so i know what to dial.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont run brackets but deal with a few guys that do and it usually just comes down to preference...and that is usually the one thats hooking the best if there is any major difference between the two that day.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:18 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I learned a while back, even if you prefer one lane. ALWAYS make a pass in both before eliminations so you can see if one lane feels stickier/slicker than the other, bumps, the car pulling, how the 'tree looks, etc.

I don't care in the Nova, as I can see fine in either, so if I feel better in one lane on a particular day I'll pick that one. Most of the time in the Formula I run left due to being able to see my opponent out the side/rear window (as I'm f-ing slow) versus the right lane and having the roof pillar in my way.

Derek
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

If there has been a recent oil-down, I want to avoid that lane if possible. It might be prepped better than the other lane now, but for peace of mind, I try to avoid it, just in case they missed something.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Which lane do you prefer? Why?
Normally I would have chosen either one depending on conditions. However, I have had an injury to my right eye and have permanent sight loss in that right eye. Therefore, if possible I always try to get into the right lane so that I am looking at the tree more directly with my good eye. If I get down to the last few cars and we get on a ladder, of course I probably have a 50-50 chance of getting in my "bad lane" but I do okay from the left, just try to give myself every advantage possible.

Oil downs are a crap shoot from my experience. If you have a good crew cleaning up the lane and laying down fresh VHT, the oiled down lane might very well end up being the best traction. In my case it's better to stay in my good eye's best lane.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Generally I go left lane, especially when the car is doing especially strong wheelies so that all I have to do is look left for the guardrail. One time in the right lane I cracked the throttle a tick because I thought the guardrail was closer than it really was.

I like the left lane so that if/when I get moved to the right lane in the later rounds I am sitting closer to the tree so generally my .01 lights become .00 so I don't mind swapping lanes. I can also judge dragsters better in the right lane so when fast car has lane choice they put me over there and I don't care.

For some reasons I judge door cars better in the left lane, not sure why that is... I think I'm just used to it because I always run left lane out of habit. Some nights I get on a roll and I can take the stripe by around .005, usually those are the good nights

Obviously if I'm jumping to the right or left in one lane then I avoid that lane but generally I go to the left.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

I don't bracket race, but I will be soon as I get an axle.

At my local track, I will run Right Lane 99.9% of the time. The car just always seems like it hooks better, I know where the groove is, and I guess it's just force of habit now.

...that and just about every time that I've launched hard out of the left lane, I've wound up looking at the wall out of the windshield. I've gotten good at letting out, letting her get straight, and then nailing the **** outta the throttle trying to run my opponent down.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Haha I get paranoid of lanes sometimes.

Once in the left lane at this one track I almost landed down on the 60 ft. block in the middle so you could say I tried to avoid that lane the rest of the weekend. Then at another track I swear I went from dead straight to staring at the wall before the front end was down so I avoided that lane too, granted there was apparently water all the way up to the starting line but I still didn't want to go back there.

When my dad put his big motor in his car he almost nailed the right side guardrail at our home track, ever since them he's always gone to the left lane pretty much and I go to the left just because I'm so used to watching him do it I guess.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

I view 2 things. I either pick whichever lane all the big tire cars are in (so they lay down some rubber for me) or whichever lane has less street radial cars in if any.

-Mark
Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I choose left lane as much as possible when I attempt to bracket race for 2 reasons. First is because of an eye injury so my left eye is damaged, in the left lane I can still see slightly with my left eye forward, and use my peripheral vision in my right eye to judge the car on the right. One thing I don't like about the F-body in the left lane is the large blind spot I have in it, so I have to adjust the mirror way out so I can use that to watch where the car is, if in the blind spot.
The second reason is because at my local track my car rolls through the beams in the right lane if I don't hold the brake.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 AM
Launching!

At the track i run in Ky, I usually just stay in the left lane. I know it better and over various track conditions the 68 still loves the left. It just feels more confortable to me anyways, cant really explain it, maybe im right eye dominant er somethin like that . or maybe that back in my street racing days I demanded suicide lane
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Bracket Racing? Isn't that when they call a class to the staging lanes?

As you move forward a track guy has a little paddle in his hand, right? He draws a chip that shows a lane. If you're in the lane he walks us to you and asks you what starting lane, RIGHT or LEFT you want. If your the second person drawn you don't get a lane choice............ So how can you stay in one lane all night running brackets?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

best thing you can do is try to run both lanes, getting used ot one lane will screw you up when then toss you in the other lane, which will eventually happen.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I usually don't care but I also don't have the horsepower or torque that most of the cars I race against do. My car has too much tire and will almost hook on dirt. If I did have more power though I would have said it depends on the track/day.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I think I have the answer he's looking for...

Most "faster" guys will choose the right lane because in bracket racing, they leave last.

Its more difficult to judge or locate a car coming up on your right side.

If a slower car took the right lane its very easy for him, leaving first, to monitor the other car coming up in the left the entire time, beginning from the time he launches.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Well, I think I have the answer he's looking for...

Most "faster" guys will choose the right lane because in bracket racing, they leave last.

Its more difficult to judge or locate a car coming up on your right side.

If a slower car took the right lane its very easy for him, leaving first, to monitor the other car coming up in the left the entire time, beginning from the time he launches.
I'm the opposite way, when I'm fast car I prefer the left lane and only when do slower I prefer the right. Being a door car it's hard to locate dragsters coming up on my right but it's easy when they're coming up on my left.

And Jake's dad.... Many tracks will just run odd lanes as the left lane and even lanes as the right lane.

Last edited by Hrod382; 07-13-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM

I would have to say it depends on what ever you run the best that day for the track!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't got to race this year but, I race at the same track most of the time and I was going only in the left lane. The left lane was faster and thats the lane I started running in before I started bracket racing because I was going for a good timeslip. I did good in the left lane. It kinda felt weird when I had to run the right lane. The left lane kinda felt comfortable to me. I felt like I was in the same spot everytime. I did that up until last year when I decided to change lanes because the guy I was in the points battle with also ran the left lane and I wanted to go after him. Once I got used to it I think I kinda liked it better than the left lane. It seemed like I had better visiblility in the right lane at the top end. Whether I was gaining on them or they was gaining on me. with the left lane I was having trouble seeing when I was being chased at the top end. I switched up alot last year, mostley to position my car with who I wanted to race.

Another thing I consider is if I am running the front of the line like I like to do when I have been doing well. I noticed that If I pulled to the front of the line in the same lane everytime then in some classes where I had been winning no one would pull next to me that races every week. I had a better chance at racing a beginner. It didn't work everytime but it did sometimes. When I first started bracket racing I did that the first year. I was new at it and I wanted to be the first in line and go up against the better racers. At that time I was in a 10sec 8th 3.8 camaro. I ended up winning 2 out of the first 5-6 races that I raced in and that was in pro footbrake too which paid $800 to the winner and of course with me being new no one even asked did I want to split with them and I didn't even know about splitting then.

Quick Reply: Bracket racing guys. Which lane Right or Left? Why?