Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are Madman Suspension Setups Wheels Up?
Yes
45.45%
No
54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Is Madman Suspension Wheels Up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Madman Suspension Wheels Up?

Someone told me so.... what is your take?

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/aa4c1...95013fb89e.htm
Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will let you know
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you trying to say?????????
MADMAN makes quality suspension parts that WORK for these cars his knowledge is second to none, and big hp ars do tend to stand up a little depending on track prep, and adjustments need to be made to compensate for good tracks and poor tracks but i would think you would know that
Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont understand the question
Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

As I precieved it he was asking if the MADMAN kit would get the front wheels off the ground. I am pretty sure it will. I will be adjusting for about 6-12in off the ground.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

I can adjust my MADMAN suspension from no wheel stand to huge wheel stand. Depends what you are trying to achieve.

I'm sure the suspension was adjusted after that huge wheel stand in that video.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

What I was implying and stating... from what was said is:

Madman suspensions are very tight in the back, and the torque arm is very short... which means the car pulls the wheels... travel limiters are almost a must to keep the front end down.

Basically what was stated is that if you want to go on the bumper..... madman suspensions will put you there.

In some ways this is seen as a negative... and some might be positive if you can pull the power out to keep the front end down. Apparantly the car is weight transfering... yet I assume it doesnt squat....

does the lack of squat in the back along with the short tq arm assist in pulling the wheels off the ground and possibly on the bumper??
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
what are you trying to say?????????
MADMAN makes quality suspension parts that WORK for these cars his knowledge is second to none, and big hp ars do tend to stand up a little depending on track prep, and adjustments need to be made to compensate for good tracks and poor tracks but i would think you would know that
I completely agree..... I think to optimize his setup you need to have the car scaled, and him set it up with AFCO's etc........ unfortunately I see that some folks by his stuff, install it without setting it up ideally and go on the bumpers easy. If he installed every suspension setup he sells I am sure folks would be killin ET's.... but from what I see, as it is a pure "Race Style" setup..... folks can easily screw things up.

If I where to get his stuff... I would want him or someone as knowledgeable to set the car up right.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
I completely agree..... I think to optimize his setup you need to have the car scaled, and him set it up with AFCO's etc........ unfortunately I see that some folks by his stuff, install it without setting it up ideally and go on the bumpers easy. If he installed every suspension setup he sells I am sure folks would be killin ET's.... but from what I see, as it is a pure "Race Style" setup..... folks can easily screw things up.

If I where to get his stuff... I would want him or someone as knowledgeable to set the car up right.

Hey you would not have an extra $2400 I could borrow would you?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the kind of power most true10.5 and radial cars are making these days it doesnt really matter who made the suspension parts,as long as it is set up correctly you shouldnt have much trouble. In the video that Mustang is trying to apply too much power too early in the run,with big turbo set ups its a fine line between wheeling and moving forward. Just have to find the sweet spot in the engine, with timing and boost control and 2step rpm off the line. That is why is has taken us as long as it has to go fast because we cannot afford to stand the thing up to have it come crashing down and destroy a ton of ****. Not saying anything good or bad about the Madman parts because we only use BMR stuff but Madman is a great guy and knows his stuff and has helped us out with setups several times. jUst my.02

Steve Turley
Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by InconFormula
With the kind of power most true10.5 and radial cars are making these days it doesnt really matter who made the suspension parts,as long as it is set up correctly you shouldnt have much trouble. In the video that Mustang is trying to apply too much power too early in the run,with big turbo set ups its a fine line between wheeling and moving forward. Just have to find the sweet spot in the engine, with timing and boost control and 2step rpm off the line. That is why is has taken us as long as it has to go fast because we cannot afford to stand the thing up to have it come crashing down and destroy a ton of ****. Not saying anything good or bad about the Madman parts because we only use BMR stuff but Madman is a great guy and knows his stuff and has helped us out with setups several times. jUst my.02

Steve Turley
Hey Steve.... that latest vid of your turbo car is sick!

I was primarily referring to F-bodies with Madman Torue Arms, anti-roll bars, and Afco Suspension pieces etc.

So there is no debate between short and long torque arms, stiff rear suspensions and going wheels up? If that is the case that puts these comments in the varified false column.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are questioning my torque arm suspension then what is with a Mustang video??

Just for your information the race the video was taken at was a true 10.5 race we were the only car on drag radials. We qualified 9 out of 40 cars and had the best 60ft times of all the cars. I got aggressive that pass and tried to leave at 15lbs of boost and that is what happened. I think to win you have to lean on the cars. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

225-343-9029
Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 AM
8 Second Club

If you don't push it the guy in the next lane will. Paco's car for a stock suspension true 10.5 BBC really impresses me, as all the other 4th gen BBC stock suspension guys who use their regular chassis guys here in town can't get the cars to hook anywhere near the car Brian touches. All the other 4th gens are 4 links so that's a different class of cars.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Not to mention just moving 50lbs from the front to back can be the difference between a bumper scrape and leaving like a pro stock so suspension certainly isnt a one size fits all..

I like to keep the front end down because of the narrow tracks around here, when the wheels are up you have no control so I want them on the ground as much as possible

Madman is one of the few guys that will post up and is always willing to help even if not one part on your car was made by him. Plus he is one of the few that spends a lot of time at the track so if you dont have the time or money to make 20 passes a week and need your car to get down the track he is one of the guys to call.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
If you are questioning my torque arm suspension then what is with a Mustang video??

Just for your information the race the video was taken at was a true 10.5 race we were the only car on drag radials. We qualified 9 out of 40 cars and had the best 60ft times of all the cars. I got aggressive that pass and tried to leave at 15lbs of boost and that is what happened. I think to win you have to lean on the cars. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

thanks for clarifying. that vid was just what reminded me of the topic. I also think that car is bad ***.

Madman, do you think any novice is capable of setting up your suspension to not go wheels up, since there is so little give in it?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
thanks for clarifying. that vid was just what reminded me of the topic. I also think that car is bad ***.

Madman, do you think any novice is capable of setting up your suspension to not go wheels up, since there is so little give in it?

There is actually quite a bit of tunning available in his setup. That is the main reason a Bought it It can be set to do as much or as little as you would like

Quick Reply: Is Madman Suspension Wheels Up?