Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
is there truely such a thing as a reliable 2500 hp? i guess you could stroke a big check to Pro-Line....
I could do that. A certain red mustang whom shall remain nameless stroked a check to Proline for a BBF, every time out they break anywhere between 2-8 rockers. Because the motor has Proline on the valve cover does NOT make it any more reliable.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you know some one personally i would have them build it... some times these "big time" shops dont build stuff worth a **** cause they have joe blow who makes 15$ an hour putting together some expensive stuff unless your actually a big name yourself... i wont ever have my motors built some where unless i can drive there in less than 40 min and be in there shop.... i had 1 LSx motor built down south (thats all im saying) and there was soo much small **** wrong with it, it was rediculous.... these motors arent rocket science to build as long as your carefull with clearances, tolerances, and torque.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
7 Second Club

Well this is a tough situtation. At this point we're not going to release any data that we have found. We have been in contact with a few people that have seen the exact same "issues" we have seen on our LSx and we all have drawn the same conclusion.

Everyone on the project including myself is not the type of person that accepts the saying "Well thats just the way it is". IF there is a way to fix the block than we will continue to use the LSx. We firmly believe that with the parts available for the LSx block it is not going to be reliable in a car that makes 2000hp. My definition of "reliable" is the ability to assemble the motor to the correct specs and have it last one full season.

We have spoken to a couple of companies on getting a few parts made that will help correct the design issue with the LSx block but again we are still not sure it will correct the problems.

At this point if you plan on building an LSx and making under 1500hp the block should be fine but for our application some modifications will be needed to handle over 2000hp.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:12 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if you know some one personally i would have them build it... some times these "big time" shops dont build stuff worth a **** cause they have joe blow who makes 15$ an hour putting together some expensive stuff unless your actually a big name yourself... i wont ever have my motors built some where unless i can drive there in less than 40 min and be in there shop.... i had 1 LSx motor built down south (thats all im saying) and there was soo much small **** wrong with it, it was rediculous.... these motors arent rocket science to build as long as your carefull with clearances, tolerances, and torque.
I'm with you but there is a big difference in building a 750hp LSx vs a 2000hp+ LSx. You can get all the clearances/tolerances/torque specs dead nuts and the motor will not be reliable at this level. **** starts moving that shouldn't.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
7 Second Club

i was referring to you building a BBC not a lsx motor
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM
7 Second Club

lsx motors have a good 10 years of experience in them... BBC have been around 40+years... its just tough to beat that much evolvement and product availability when coming to making serious power... just like using the mustang... too many parts are available to not want to use that body/chassis...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

I would love to know what you guys found..
Old 09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Well this is a tough situtation. At this point we're not going to release any data that we have found. We have been in contact with a few people that have seen the exact same "issues" we have seen on our LSx and we all have drawn the same conclusion.

Everyone on the project including myself is not the type of person that accepts the saying "Well thats just the way it is". IF there is a way to fix the block than we will continue to use the LSx. We firmly believe that with the parts available for the LSx block it is not going to be reliable in a car that makes 2000hp. My definition of "reliable" is the ability to assemble the motor to the correct specs and have it last one full season.

We have spoken to a couple of companies on getting a few parts made that will help correct the design issue with the LSx block but again we are still not sure it will correct the problems.

At this point if you plan on building an LSx and making under 1500hp the block should be fine but for our application some modifications will be needed to handle over 2000hp.
Sounds like the same "core shift" discussions from the spring. Not releasing data you have found may potentially hose a fellow board member spending hard earned money on a set up that won't live up to expectaions. Your choice of course, but if not for the shared info on this board we wouldn't have the choices and options we have for builds now.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by JBM
Sounds like the same "core shift" discussions from the spring. Not releasing data you have found may potentially hose a fellow board member spending hard earned money on a set up that won't live up to expectaions. Your choice of course, but if not for the shared info on this board we wouldn't have the choices and options we have for builds now.
It has nothing to do with core shift. I can tell you of 4 guys on the board that knows the issues and possible resolutions, do you wonder why they have not came forward? Bottom line...if you get a reputable LS1 engine builder to build your high horsepower engine he or she will should be able to see the potiental issues and be able to work on a viable solution.

When John Ryan asked how much it was to prep a LSx block, Kurt replied $4500 for the whole shooting match which was not disclosed but included a fix of some current problems.

I'll ask you this.....Why didn't a very well known LSx rep. post that there were problems with his motor until I had made the inital post?

When you build a motor of this caliber there is a certain amount of things you will never know unless you get the same engine builder to build your engine. I have learned to trade for the information I need, at this level no body wants to talk.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM
7 Second Club

Oh and to prevent anyone from having the same issues I did. If you need an engine built I would call either:

Shawn Miller @ Virginia Speed

Or

Kurt Urban @ J & K Racing Engines
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueMonza
We've got people like that up here in PA that won't share info on 11 second cars let alone the numbers you put up. I understand what you mean by trading for info. I was kinda hoping to pick your brain, along with Miller's a little when it comes to parts selection tho. Good luck with the car Phil, lsx powered or not it's still badass.
Pick away via PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope what he has in mind fixes it Phil.

Ill swing by when i get back home.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM
7 Second Club

I am sure the 565 Big Block will fix my problems.

OH you meant the LSx deal.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Keeping trade secrets in regard to set up is one thing. Not disclosing an integrity issue with a product that goes against what is advertised is another. The only one that makes out in that scenerio is the guy selling the block. Good luck with the fix.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I understand why Phil wants to keep this to himself, but there's 2 issues here: #1, there's a problem with the block, and unless GM is taking care of it for him, there's nothing to be gained by not sharing what the problem is. #2, if there was a problem and the real issue, and the fix aren't going to be aired out, why was any mention of it made in the first place?

Phil I'm not trying to start trouble, but if you are going to air that there's a problem, it's kinda foolish to not tell what it is, and how you intend to try to fix it.

You've got a serious car that the potential has yet to be seen IMO.... but if you're having a problem with something and aren't gonna share the solution, don't mention the problem.

If you're gonna warn people of an issue you've encountered, don't 1/2 *** it.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Phil is not "holding back" on info that everybody needs, and I for one agree with his method.
The LSX block can be upgraded to withstand 2000hp+ power levels, but its not just a set of main studs in my opionion. Most of this is theory as nobody has ran long enough to show the type of reliability some of us seek. Without burning a single drop of fuel some have seen area's that could use improvement in the block for high output engines, and the current engines that are out running are teaching us everyday. To make a knee jerk reaction to the things that are showing up is not helpful, and Phil is bouncing some good thoughts off people that can help find cures. I enjoy trying to push these engines to the limit, and Phil has had some great input, I for one hope he stays with the LS engines.
He is one of the pioneers that will share info when needed, thanks Phil.

Kurt
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil, Does your motor have billet main caps?

Last edited by ATVracr; 09-16-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they come billet stock, cant imagine degrading?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

I think if you have cash in hand and are about to start the build of your very own 2500 hp LSx motor, then you should worry about the "problem" he's encountered. If not.....and there's no nice way to put this......but you're just being nosy.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 AM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Am I being "nosey" if I have put 14K into an LSX short block that is being built as we speak? I went this route with the confidence that the block could handle anything I could throw at it. If this isnt the case, I'd like to know. What if no one shared the issue with the comp 918 valve springs seven years ago? Again, best of luck resolving the issue.

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"