Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vacuum pump setup are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ahhhh...I just got on ATI's website and looked up the balancers. Then it has a link that says accessories. Scrolled down and found mandrels. They only make 2. One for BBC and the other for SB & VC Buicks. I assume he bought the BBC since he stated it had the same bolt patter, but it didn't fit inside the LS1 damper, so he had the damper opened up. Couldn't you also machine down the mandrel? Either way, I work in a machine shop for a big oil company, so I can machine whatever I want.

But if whatever I do is gonna take machining, why don't I just buy a mandrel and have it fitted to my current ASP pulley? I shouldn't have to swap to a whole other balancer. Am I right?

It'll be simple, buy the pump, pulley, bracket from Star, lines, fittings, and breather tank from local speed shop, and the mandrel from wherever. So now I just need to figure out what bolt pattern my ASP balancer has. It has 3 bolt holes on the front of it.
exactly,

You also have to make sure you have enough material inside the balancer before the bolt for the rear of the mandrel to center it.

Also if the 3 hole mounting surface is recessed behind the face measure to see how deep the the mounting surface is to make sure you get a mandrel that extends far enough out of the ASP pulley to be able to mount the drive pulley on it.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

.ALEX., ok, am I going to have to buy spacers too? Do I have to space the drive pulley or could I do it with the pump?

I looked on Star's website and they don't even offer a 12 or 14 tooth pulley. The biggest one they have is 18. Also, I thought the standard pump has a built in regulator in it, so why would you need to have multiple pulleys if its going to be adjusted with the regulator?
i purchased my pulleys from Jones racing he has from 8-40 tooth.

the reason for the 2 is to limit the pumps rpm for a set amount of vacuum. I also ordered it by accident so thats really the reason.

depending on how you mount the pump you can set the depth with the mounts if not then you can always set the pulley depth with spacers on the mandrel.

Last edited by ALLBOTTLE; 10-03-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Any reason you didn't purchase the drive pulley from Star? How do I know which tooth number to get? So basically you got the drive pulley and mandrel from Jones?

Ok, the drive pulley that goes on the mandrel won't spin because its got a key on it. But how do you secure it down so that it doesn't move back and forth?

Did either one (mandrel/drive pulley) need machining or did it bolt right up to your balancer? Which one do you have by the way?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My mandrel needs to be turned down a few thousandths to fit properly, i didn't even know until Phil told me since i haven't gotten to set it up yet.

Thats the other reason you need some spacers/shims/sleeves to lock the pulley in place between the base and the front nut.

Yes i purchased all my mandrel parts from jones.

I have DH-8101-WC-BB mandrel, Go with a 12 tooth pulley for your pump if you are using the billet assembly.

I just checked my pulleys they are 12 tooth and 14 tooth not 22 and 24.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

I was thinking...since no one makes a specific mandrel for a LS1 balancer, then there shouldn't be any reason why I couldn't buy the Star mandrel and machine it to fit my ASP. Regardless, I'm gonna have to do some machining. Why didn't you guys get the mandrel from Star, its made for a BBC too?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I was thinking...since no one makes a specific mandrel for a LS1 balancer, then there shouldn't be any reason why I couldn't buy the Star mandrel and machine it to fit my ASP. Regardless, I'm gonna have to do some machining. Why didn't you guys get the mandrel from Star, its made for a BBC too?
????

no idea, i just needed to order a bunch of stuff.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you making this so complicated? Just call GZ motorsports..(EXTREMEMLY helpful) and tell them what mandrel you need for a ls1 and they will ship you one.

they built me a custom ls1 setup for a meziere race pump, no tensioner with everything for cheap ....GREAT product.im very happy
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ordered my setup from STAR. went with the std vacuum pump with AN fittings and regulator, side mount bracket (due to space constraints mine will be mounted to the front frame), 12 tooth drive pulley and 24 pump pulley (composite). They recommended a 50% drive ratio for my setup...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well, I finally buckled down and purchased the following items:

Star-

Standard vacuum pump
36 tooth aluminum pump pulley
Rear mounting bracket
16 tooth crank pulley
Accessory drive mandrel
Regulator valve assembly
AN fittings

When I receive the parts, I'll be able to determine if I'll be able to make the mandrel work with my crank pulley or not. If not, then he said that I could send it back. I work at a machine shop for a big oil company where there are several manual and CNC machines. So having something modified won't be a problem. Even if I have to purchase the ATI balancer, I guess I will.

Once I have everything where I want it and bolted up, then I'll be able to determine what length I need.

Fireball, what kind of rpms will you be spinning?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fireball, what kind of rpms will you be spinning?
Planning on 8K max, but he wanted to drive it pretty fast (50%) since I'm going to be a turbo setup and could use the extra volume
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You won't be disappointed...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm sure I won't, but by the time I buy the breather, fittings, and lines, I'm gonna be well over the $1000 mark.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure I won't, but by the time I buy the breather, fittings, and lines, I'm gonna be well over the $1000 mark.
welcome to racing
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

""""I work at a machine shop for a big oil company where there are several manual and CNC machines. So having something modified won't be a problem."""

For someone who has access to such machines, you are making a big deal out out of a small problem. Do you actually use these machines or just go down on the people that do? Keep pushing that broom.

Tim
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm sure I can machine a broom to fit up that *** of yours. Vacuum pumps are new to me. I'm not trying to make things complicated, but if I have a mandrel that is no where close to working, why would I buy it? Sure I can put it on one of the lathes (cnc or manual) and fix it, but I don't want to have to redesign the whole thing. Plus, I don't have the privilege to work on my own things all day long, I work for the company not myself.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure I can machine a broom to fit up that *** of yours. Vacuum pumps are new to me. I'm not trying to make things complicated, but if I have a mandrel that is no where close to working, why would I buy it? Sure I can put it on one of the lathes (cnc or manual) and fix it, but I don't want to have to redesign the whole thing. Plus, I don't have the privilege to work on my own things all day long, I work for the company not myself.
Better make that broom handle in large.

I have access to a 1948 craftsman lathe ( not CNC, just so we are on the same page) that I have never used before and am not at least bit worried about modifying a mandrel to fit a LSx ballancer.

Being how I am not a broom pusher. How long would it take to set up and program a CNC lathe to take a few thousands off of a piece of round aluminum stock. My guess you would still be staring at the screen and all of those buttons when someone would realize they didn't hear the methodical sounds of a broom hitting the floor and tell you to get back to work.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can see some of mine here. BBC mandrel OD turned down just enough for an interference fit.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

looks killer, so witch one is the fuel line, lol
Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM
9 Second Club NA

N20Silverado, ok dude, just and ! You are providing no help, just bumping those gums of yours. I'm not gonna stoop to your level to have this little keyboard war with you. Its gay, like you. I gotta get back to pushing my broom. ...and by the way, if you're such a smarty pants, why the hell would I put it on a cnc anyway and make a program for it? I was making a statement saying that I had access to many machines including cncs. You can run cncs manually einstein.

Phil99vette, damn, you've got remote everything, lol.

Just curious from looking at Phil99vette's pic, do I necessarily have to pull the vacuum off the valve covers or can it be pulled from the valley cover? If so, then I could cut down that nipple, fill it in with weld, then weld a bung on it.

Speaking of fuel lines, how do you plan on routing your fuel line up at the engine?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
looks killer, so witch one is the fuel line, lol
I think I'm going to use a -12, its not in there yet and the pics don't do anything for the size of this crap.

Quick Reply: What vacuum pump setup are you using?