Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for website with drag etiquette info...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for website with drag etiquette info...

I'm a newbie, just looking for some typical dos and don'ts.

I've picked up a lot here, but just looking for any good links you all may have that relate to street-night type racing!

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Looking for website with drag etiquette info...

if you dont have skinnies up front, drive around the water box and back in it so you dont track water up towards the line

dont do dry hops, dont burnout past the starting line

have your tail lights on after dark

roll your windows up

if you stage first, only light up the first staging lights. dont fully stage in the 2nd lights until your opponent has lit his first lights up

at the far end, if you are slowed down enough to take the next turn off and are behind the other car, pull behind him in his lane to signal him that you are slowed so he knows he can turn without being run into

dont race down the return road, thats what your trip down the track was for
Old 07-06-2003, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

"if you stage first, only light up the first staging lights. dont fully stage in the 2nd lights until your opponent has lit his first lights up"

Thanks, didn't know that one.

Anything special to know if I just happen to be paired next to some obviously faster car? (2-3 sec. faster for example)
Old 07-06-2003, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Anything special to know if I just happen to be paired next to some obviously faster car? (2-3 sec. faster for example)

Just ignore the other car. Unless your local track officials are morons and pair you up with a 9 second drag beast. In that case, just let the other car go first, and let him get ahead of you before you launch. Don't worry about reaction times, just practice the launch and get comfortable.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

"if you stage first, only light up the first staging lights. dont fully stage in the 2nd lights until your opponent has lit his first lights up"

Thanks, didn't know that one.

thats competition etiquette...not really necessary for Test and Tune runs
Old 07-07-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another bit of etiquette that I've found a lot of people don't know and was kind of mentioned here is that if you are in the lane that is on the side of the return road, you have the right-of-way to exit first, if you are on the outside, I typically like to wait for the first car to turn off first, then follow them, or continue on to the next exit. Do NOT turn around on the strip! :p
Old 07-07-2003, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I stumbled accross this the other day and thought it was a pretty good read for a beginner:

http://www.gulfportdragway.com/procedures.htm

FWIW, of course.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:41 AM
dug
Banned

The only thing that bothers me is when the guy in the other lane pisses around before staging doing a dozen dry hops and such while my engine is getting hot and the tires are getting cold. Usually, Ill wait for the other car to start his burnout before I start mine. THen Ill pull right up and stage as quick as I can.

Too bad were not allowed to do deep stage burnouts like in top fuel. When there are a lot of front drive cars racing they drag water to the line ruining any chance for decent traction. One night the car wasnt hooking even with heated nittos from the water. So I was like **** it and decided to burn off all the water at the line. So I pulled up to the line and did the burnout and stayed on it past the staging lights and backd up and staged. Naturally, the track official wasnt pleased and wouldnt let me run. I knew better but it was my first time at the track with nittos and they werent hookin.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

make sure you do your burnout with the rear tires still in the water box.... That always makes everyone happy. so a hondah on street tires do a burnout with the fronts still in the box now that was some funny ****, and of course he kept spinning past the staging lights and backed up to run a smokin 16.2 1/4.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ls1.com/dragracingbasics.htm