Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slammer454
nice toy! do the leaves help traction any?
HAHA hell no.

Originally Posted by spatton100
Now I check that off the list of potential problems. Thanx.
Did you figure out the MSD problem if not is it possible that the circuit the MSD power is hooked too cuts out when you hit the starter, just an idea..
I think it could be something like that. I hooked it directly to a power sorce cooming off the battery. Still no luck. I'm going to try something else next. MSD says I have to have a pc hooked up to see if it is showing a tach signal.

Originally Posted by 842ta
if you dont mind me asking what did you give for that beast?
I gave $6650 for it with all the parts for the auto swap. b&m quarter stick with pistol grip and T brake buttom on it, TCI FW, tranny cooler, an fittings and lines, TCS 4500 vert, and a digital speedo sending unit. And some stock parts, hood, wheels and some ls1 parts.
I got a good deal for what all came with it.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I paid 10,800 for mine, But it was worth every penny IMO
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Nice Notch, it looks familiar.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LX1
Nice Notch, it looks familiar.
It should, it came from Chicago. Do you know David?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JRracing
It should, it came from Chicago. Do you know David?
Yeah I sold it to him. LOL

Either way, goodluck with the upgrades. Car turns alot of heads at the track.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, now that's a vicious circle
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

Nice setup. We're running a BG Race Demon 1000cfm carb, MSD 6010 ls1 carb box & the victor Jr. Looks pretty close to your combo.

I also still have not been able to get the car running. The msd box is not putting out any spark. I even tried re wiring it with no luck
Our MSD box we had problems with. 7 hours of trying to track down why the car wouldnt spark and then it turns out that the sensor ground wire coming from the MSD box directly was not grounded. We scotch locked the sensor ground wire to the ground wire coming from the MSD box and it was happy. It is still rigged to this day. I would definitely check this out as it was our problem and we all know the quality control is terrible.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

JR: I PM'd you with some information, I hope my unwanted R&D helps your solution.

We redid the harness, checked every other electrical item since Jay wired the car from scratch no wires in car into full blown wiring, fuse panel, etc. Didn't think it was anything he did but he was going nuts rechecking himself.

We hooked it direct to battery. Then changed the battery in the vehicle. Powered it by charger, booster packs. Did the friggin' hokey pokey turned ourselves about and cursed out everything/everyone

Last edited by TTPMatt; 01-03-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LX1
Yeah I sold it to him. LOL

Either way, goodluck with the upgrades. Car turns alot of heads at the track.
No offense but it has some jacked up wiring on it. Dave told me he was no wiring genius. I'm re wiring the whole car with a painless kit.

Keep tabs on this thread. You are going to see a major transformation.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
JR: I PM'd you with some information, I hope my unwanted R&D helps your solution.

We redid the harness, checked every other electrical item since Jay wired the car from scratch no wires in car into full blown wiring, fuse panel, etc. Didn't think it was anything he did but he was going nuts rechecking himself.

We hooked it direct to battery. Then changed the battery in the vehicle. Powered it by charger, booster packs. Did the friggin' hokey pokey turned ourselves about and cursed out everything/everyone
MSD has been no ******* help either. There solution is, hook a laptop up to it. I've just about had it with this POS. I am going to try what you suggested tomorrow. Iwill re wire to power and ground and make sure the black and grey wires are grounded well.

I got a old laptop today with windows 98 because my new one has vista on it and the radio shack usb to serial cable driver disc is not vista compatible. So I loaded the old pc with the cable driver and msd pro data 3.17 update. And it is still not registering anything. It does not show any rpm's durring cranking. It should, right?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM

just my .02 but give these guys a call and all your wiring problems will be gone. i put there stuff in all my cars http://www.spaghettimenders.com/order.php there **** it by for the best and a monkey can rewire a car with it. good luck i have 400 sbc in a mustang.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 632bbc
just my .02 but give these guys a call and all your wiring problems will be gone. i put there stuff in all my cars http://www.spaghettimenders.com/order.php there **** it by for the best and a monkey can rewire a car with it. good luck i have 400 sbc in a mustang.
Thanks for the link. But I already ordered the painless 8 switch panel and race car harness. It's complete with relays and flashers for turn signals and lights. It is in now. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM

cool good luck. the link i sent will set up the whole wiring even all the stock wiring and all the over lay of add on's. they will set up the ecm/engine for the chevy into a ford. i put a lsx in a lexus and he setup all the wiring to just plug and go.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the link. But I already ordered the painless 8 switch panel and race car harness. It's complete with relays and flashers for turn signals and lights. It is in now. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
Thank god! I'm about to OD on my prescription of Paxil in order to tame my OCD

Last edited by y2k_ta; 01-04-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

The only wiring I did on the car was a fuel injection harness which no longer resides in the car. The only thing that is a pain is the speedometer, sometimes you have to restart the car to get it to work. Other than that, that msd setup should all be plug and play, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to help you with it.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

The problem ended up being to slow of a crankingspeed. They said it needs to spin at least 230 rpm's to get a signal. I put another battery on it and a charger on boost and started showing rpm's on the laptop. This was with the plugs out to take the compression off. It worked. So I put the plugs and wires back on and tried again. It almost started once. But I think it is still not spinning fast enough. It was only showing 190 rpm's on the pc. I ended up boiling the battery over. So it's trashed. I'm going to get a bigger battery and try again tomorrow.

At least I know what the problem is now. I just want to hear the motor run. Then I'm going to pull it and get it ready to put in my camaro.

I dropped the 383 off at the machine shop today. And I picked up the painless wiring race car kit.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

The problem ended up being to slow of a crankingspeed. They said it needs to spin at least 230 rpm's to get a signal. I put another battery on it and a charger on boost and started showing rpm's on the laptop. This was with the plugs out to take the compression off. It worked. So I put the plugs and wires back on and tried again. It almost started once. But I think it is still not spinning fast enough. It was only showing 190 rpm's on the pc. I ended up boiling the battery over. So it's trashed. I'm going to get a bigger battery and try again tomorrow.

At least I know what the problem is now. I just want to hear the motor run. Then I'm going to pull it and get it ready to put in my camaro.

I dropped the 383 off at the machine shop today. And I picked up the painless wiring race car kit.
glad to hear you diagnosed the problem

Chad
Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Houston, we have ignition! I got the bitch started today!!!!!! Bout ******* time.
I'm not real sure what the problem ended up being as we changed several things at once and it started sparking.
1. I hooked the power and ground straight to the optima battery. We had it so juiced it was starting to boil.
2. I put the original crank sensor back in. I don't think this had anything to do with it.
3. We put my starter in it out of the camaro.

I think the starter could have been causing "noise" so my man said. He has seen this problem with nissan's with the crank sensor next to the starter. If the starter has any problems with in it, like the winding's or dragging at all, it makes signal noise which the CS will pick up causing spastic signal in the sensor. In this case a new starter fixed the problem. But my father and I had it firing last night with the other starter, so this might not be it!

It would not run off of the gas in the tank, it was old and smelled bad. I pumped all of it out and went to my house and got 5 gallons of 110 octane, put that in and primed it up to the carb. It popped right off and fired up with a little help of either.

We ran it for about 15 minutes to check the oil pressure and other vitals. The motor ran very well. I should of taken a video of it running. But I was so excited it was running I didn't think about it.

We were standing there bull shitting, I started disconnecting everything, next thing you know I have the motor ready to come out. We went ahead and pulled it. It's on the floor now.

I'm glad I took it out in stead of running it like it was, when we pulled it the right side mount got hung up because they are welded directly to the K member, and it ripped the plate right off of the cm tube that is welded to the K member. Now I know why you don't mig cm tubing!!!!!

All in all I think it something to do with either the starter or wiring to power and ground to the battery. When I got it fired, it was only using the optima battery with no charger on it. So I'm still not clear on what it was.... I'm just glad it's running now, or was. We'll see what happens when the 383 goes in. I'll have the whole car re wired then.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I got the motor out now and Im ready to start striping the wiring out of the car.
Here's a few pics. I'm also going to fill a lot of hole in the engine bay and paint it while the motor is out.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

thing is going to be a beast...

im slacking on the 9 inch..its sitting in the garage just need to get the damn bearings pressed on.

i hate reading your guys build threads they go so fast...makes me feel lazy lol.

Chad

Quick Reply: My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)