Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And here it is as of last Friday...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey my car looks the same right now! I hurt a piston, but rest of my motor looks like new. I am hoping to make the shootout also!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like old girl was hummin out the back door, maybe even a little float?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
hey my car looks the same right now! I hurt a piston, but rest of my motor looks like new. I am hoping to make the shootout also!
What happened on that last run at the race? Did it break or was it the tranny? Do you have the motor out?

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
sounds like old girl was hummin out the back door, maybe even a little float?
Yes this does sound like the case in a few of those video's. I need taller gear or more tire or something.. Sometimes it doesn't feel bad and some times it sounds like it is floating across the line.

My motor guy is going to check everything out in the heads as well as doing the bottom end. He is going to see if there are some small gains to be had in a few area's. Seeing how it was built by a body shop guy and a service tech, I'm sure there is room for improvement lol.

I just hope I have enough time to test before the shootout!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Car sits outside, and it was just too hot over the Summer to get much done. I almost have it completely rewired. Getting married next year, so it may not get done next year either.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Right on man. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Well the motor guy called me yesterday and reported that I need two rods, the crank needs turned, ball hone the block, larger bearings, new rings, new timing set, new oil pump and the normal over haul supplies for the motor.

He said it looks like the bottom of the bell came off the oil pick up tube and it starved it for oil. It is a stock pick up tube. I dunno how it came off other than tons of vibration from the 700 or so passes on that motor.

I am going over there to pick up the crank and take it to a guy to turn it down. I will try to get pics while I'm there.

This gonna cost more than I thought as it normally does.... But it is either that or throw together a 100K+ miles stock short block together that I have and stuff it in there that I have. This would cost a little bit also. It would need a diff cam and some other things.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

pics of damage.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
10 Second Club

I got the mickey 325/50/15's mounted yesterday. I dunno if I will like these as much as the Hoosiers.
The Hoosiers seem to have a softer side wall, a large deep trench of rubber where the tire bead meets the rim, and a squared profile on the surface. It may be cause they are bald as **** lol.

The Mickey's seem to have a stiffer side wall, a normal bead like any ol radial has, and a rounded profile. Maybe they will be squared one they wear down. I dunno. But the old 275 Mickey's I had on 8" wheels worked good once they got some wear on them.
I hope I don't have to wait for them to come in to there "zone". My first race back together may be the LSX shootout. If this is the case I will be doing "John Force burn outs" at the line lol.
I hope these tires do not spin on the rim much. I will not put screws in these rims. I hate that. I would rather find bead locks.

I will post pics of the Mickey's on the car soon.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRracing
I got the mickey 325/50/15's mounted yesterday. I dunno if I will like these as much as the Hoosiers.
The Hoosiers seem to have a softer side wall, a large deep trench of rubber where the tire bead meets the rim, and a squared profile on the surface. It may be cause they are bald as **** lol.

The Mickey's seem to have a stiffer side wall, a normal bead like any ol radial has, and a rounded profile. Maybe they will be squared one they wear down. I dunno. But the old 275 Mickey's I had on 8" wheels worked good once they got some wear on them.
I hope I don't have to wait for them to come in to there "zone". My first race back together may be the LSX shootout. If this is the case I will be doing "John Force burn outs" at the line lol.
I hope these <a style="font-style:oblique;font-weight:bold;" id="intext_link_7647950" href="#807501" rev="0" rel="Bi1TJFxsVGwBJlIlBDsFcwY%2BWnAGNQwvUSNQZwdzDzh ScQJ1DXoFel5jCWVXbgdgV2AAVwR4C3hcNl8jAz9VJQY%2BU3J cc1R5AWVSDgR7BV0GdVo0BmoMaFEzUCAHdw88Um4CPg0yBTteb AlgV2QHaFclAGsEYgtnXAZfLgN3VWIGJVNzXGtUfQFxUiIEPAV xBmVaOQZqDHRRalB6B2APOlIvAmYNYQVrXjkJMFc3By5XOQAlB D8LOlxrXzMDNVU%2BBmRTNFw2VDABbFJlBGUFNgZvWmsGPQw4U WRQOAc1D29SNwJiDWEFaV4wCTpXNwclV2oAbgRrC0NcHl88AzR VMAZlUz9cPlQ5AXlSIQQ9BWUGZ1phBj8MK1E%2BUGoHPA8RUkQ CBw0gBRleZglvV1EHQFc5AC4EfgtjXC5fZANtVWgGJVNyXDpUT wE2UiAEMQVyBi5aPQZhDGhRFFBhB2wPLVJuAjINIgU9XkEJfFd zB2xXSABpBH8Lb1x0X2IDalVqBnRTKlwlVHwBMVI7BCAFIwZgW nAGZgxjUSNQawd5DylSIAIq" class="intext_ad_1341635247" onclick="return(false);">tires</a> do not spin on the rim much. I will not put screws in these rims. I hate that. I would rather find bead locks.

I will post pics of the Mickey's on the car soon.
Hey JR. I tried both and Hoosiers for the win. They don't last as long but man they work! No screws needed for either tire. 17 lbs hot worked the best for me. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the tip. I can't afford to buy tires at this point. But I think I will have good luck with these tires. After all, it is a Mustang and they so called "hook on dirt". lol.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

My motor is done. Yeah buddy..
The crank was bent .007", they had to shave .020" off the rod journal and .010" off the mains. **** is custom now lol.
It starved for oil when the pick up tube lost the bell on the bottom of it due to a strap breaking on the tube holding it to the motor. It is all welded up now. It will not happen again.

It will be a mad dash to get it back in and ready for some test hits after an extremely short break in..
I have a vac pump to get mounted and plumbed. Then a few other odds and ins and it will be ready for the shootout...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

My motor is done. Yeah buddy..
The crank was bent .007", they had to shave .020" off the rod journal and .010" off the mains. **** is custom now lol.
It starved for oil when the pick up tube lost the bell on the bottom of it due to a strap breaking on the tube holding it to the motor. It is all welded up now. It will not happen again.

It will be a mad dash to get it back in and ready for some test hits after an extremely short break in..
I have a vac pump to get mounted and plumbed. Then a few other odds and ins and it will be ready for the shootout...
wow.. you almost seized it. perhaps an accusump...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Probably a good idea at this point. But I'm broke for now. This put a dent in my sock lol. There is a lot more I want to do but money is the big factor right now.

Future plans are a motor plate/mid plate, new Strange front brakes and new front struts and get the laundry put on the back..

I will keep this 383 nitrous motor in it for a while. A long while unless it blows up.
If it does as good as the last rip (3.5 years) then I'm good. It is a deadly consistent 10.0 index car. And I plan on kicking some azz in Rumble this year.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

I worked on the motor a bit tonight. I got a guy machining a adapter plate for the drive mandrel I got from Moroso that does not fit my balancer. I figured out how to mount the vac pump but I need a few fittings and the stuff back from my buddy to get it all together.
It should be running by this weekend. I hope to get a few street miles on it and try to get one test session if the weather gods bless us with good weather.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Well now that the shootout is over I have time to post a few things. It was a mad dash to finish the car up for the race but we got it all done and made it. Not with out a few problems of course.
The Moroso vac pump was a bitch to get mounted and hooked up. It was one thing after another. pos. It works now and pulls about 13" at wot.

We left the baby jet's in the nitrous plate since the motor was new I did not want to get carried away. And I knew it would go 9.0's easy with this 67n jet. The car was right were it left off before the spun bearing.
It cut a new pb 60' with a 1.260 on the first true street pass. It went 9.089, 9.064 and a 9.146 on the third run. And that was good enough for third in the 9.0 index lol.
Then in Rumble I won the first round and went out in the second getting beat at the light. It was late and I was ready for bed. I was almost happy to be done at that point in the morning..

I'm not totally sure what winter mods I will do but I want to put strange front brakes on and get new front struts. My strange front shocks are in need of replacement. I might do a motor plate also.

Next year it will be in the 8's for sure. I might even step up to real street for 2013. But they will be in the 8.20-8.40's next year lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well now that the shootout is over I have time to post a few things. It was a mad dash to finish the car up for the race but we got it all done and made it. Not with out a few problems of course.
The Moroso vac pump was a bitch to get mounted and hooked up. It was one thing after another. pos. It works now and pulls about 13" at wot.

We left the baby jet's in the nitrous plate since the motor was new I did not want to get carried away. And I knew it would go 9.0's easy with this 67n jet. The car was right were it left off before the spun bearing.
It cut a new pb 60' with a 1.260 on the first true street pass. It went 9.089, 9.064 and a 9.146 on the third run. And that was good enough for third in the 9.0 index lol.
Then in Rumble I won the first round and went out in the second getting beat at the light. It was late and I was ready for bed. I was almost happy to be done at that point in the morning..

I'm not totally sure what winter mods I will do but I want to put strange front brakes on and get new front struts. My strange front shocks are in need of replacement. I might do a motor plate also.

Next year it will be in the 8's for sure. I might even step up to real street for 2013. But they will be in the 8.20-8.40's next year lol.
Nice work! And congrats on your new PB 60'. And a bigger jet of the TB will get you doing that with the back tires next year!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates on my old ride?! i see you were looking into going with motor plates. i just saw a set fs on chitownracing.com yesterday. here's the link if you're interested. no clue what they go for new......
http://www.chitownracing.com/forums/...ng-motorplates

Are you going to take some gear out or go to a slick for the growth to get into the 8's? seems like the 4.10's is the only thing that kept you from seeing an 8 last time out. As far as a chute, i found the best deal at Wolfe if you haven't gotten a mount yet. That's for my F'body though so you may have more options and different pricing for the fox.

Good luck with it in 2013 man! Can't wait to see an 8 sec vid of it!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

What up man!
I actually just took the cover off today and changed the oil. It fired right up with a fresh 5 gal of c14 I put in it.
I haven't touched it this winter. But I do have a new set of 3.73's to put in and I have a rear bumper/chute mount that I got from the guy who did the frt bumper bar you put on it.
I have a street cat shootout race next Sat and I'm going to run the tune up on it from last year. It is a 1/8 mi race and it will go 5.70's with this tune in this current air.
I may step up to a 72n and up the fuel 4 sizes. I think it will go 5.60's.
I want to see 1.25 60's. This car is murder off the line.

I will see if I have any current pics or vids from the shootout.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool man! Sounds like it takes off like a bullet! lol i got my first taste of a 1.29 short time last year and could get used to that!! NLR/41 is so hit or miss (mostly miss) with it being prepped that i wont get my hopes up of it happening again.
I'm back to drag radials so not sure what to expect next time out. gonna have to play with the suspension quite a bit i'm sure. 5.70's or better sound good! Hoping to find those this year as well.
I look forward to seeing some vids. Still miss that car a lot!!

Quick Reply: My new drag toy. 93 lx coupe carbed LS1/th400. (pics)