Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety note on stock wheel studs and drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default safety note on stock wheel studs and drag radials

Today I took my car out to the track, was the first time with my new 9" rear. I was unsure how the stock torque arm would deal with the Nittos and the sticky track, but I wanted to get some runs in even though I have not completed my suspension upgrades. Well, not good. I was getting a lot of very violent wheephop shifting into second gear, and at about 400 feet my car gave a wiggle and I was racing my own wheel to the finish line. It was kind of eerie how the car felt rolling on 3 wheels. I sure feel stupid for not paying the extra cash for the ARP studs. Fortunately the only damage was to my brake rotor, and a rubber mark on the fender lip. Just wanted to share it is possible to shear off all five studs on Drag Radials.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh wow.
id say the wheel hop had a lot to do with it. were you running any type of spacer?
i have seen a few rip in person. on stock acorn nuts?
they cant hold up forever.
did you run at holt?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Arp studs may or may not of helped with tire shake.Tire shake is very voilent on the drive line,and may of taken out your tranny if the wheel had stayed on.Glad to hear you and the car are ok.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Ya that was me out at Holt, I will say it was pretty darn violent before I got out of it, I am not running any spacer, but I am using the stock lug nuts and wheels, I guess is is one of those things I have always taken for granted, i thought the aftermarket studs were pretty much for slicks and such. I will definitely be fixing the wheelhop problem and studs before making more runs though. all that aside, it was fun to get back out there and enjoy the sunshine.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

you get a good pass in before hand?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i would chaulk that one up to wheel hop, oh its been probably 10years or more when i was young and dumb and was going racing no matter what, i bought a set of sst long shank lugs at auto zone for a set of wheels and slicks i borrowed from a guy at work, well they sold me 6 correct ones and 4 that were the wrong metric thread, i was in a hurry and thru them on at the track with someones electric impact and didnt notice i cross threaded(well wrong threaded i guess u would say) two of them on each wheel then when i went to take them off those two studs broke off on one wheel and i tried went easy on the other side and seen it was gonna break and stopped, just left the slicks on, drove all week on the slicks went back the next weekend and ran with broke studs on both rear wheels, spraying 180shot off the line.lol i wouldnt recomend it but just saying i dont think the studs where your main issue here.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

nitto DRs are not going to hook good enuff to snap wheelstuds i know cars that do 1.3 60's with spacers on the rears and they have stock studs with no problems.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

It's the wheel hop that sheers the studs. Any drag radial will create that violent shock with wheel hop. Wheel hop is the devil!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

get some rear susp. to take care of the wheel hop.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TJ
you get a good pass in before hand?
I got in 3 other passes 80% because of the wheelhop my best was a 8.12 @ 89 with a 1.93 60', oviously there is a lot more there with better driving and a few parts. The funny thing is there was noone there yet, and I got in 4 passes in like 20 minutes...then i was done. You guys are right though wheel hop is the devil. guess I need to order up that Spohn torque arm to go along with my control arms.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
yeah i would chaulk that one up to wheel hop, oh its been probably 10years or more when i was young and dumb and was going racing no matter what, i bought a set of sst long shank lugs at auto zone for a set of wheels and slicks i borrowed from a guy at work, well they sold me 6 correct ones and 4 that were the wrong metric thread, i was in a hurry and thru them on at the track with someones electric impact and didnt notice i cross threaded(well wrong threaded i guess u would say) two of them on each wheel then when i went to take them off those two studs broke off on one wheel and i tried went easy on the other side and seen it was gonna break and stopped, just left the slicks on, drove all week on the slicks went back the next weekend and ran with broke studs on both rear wheels, spraying 180shot off the line.lol i wouldnt recomend it but just saying i dont think the studs where your main issue here.
im glad your wheel didnt fall off and hurt you, or the other guy on the track with you.
safety is important.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
nitto DRs are not going to hook good enuff to snap wheelstuds i know cars that do 1.3 60's with spacers on the rears and they have stock studs with no problems.
nittos might not hook good enough to snap wheelstuds.
spacers are ok if they are direct fit for your lug pattern, not the sloppy unifit mr gasket spacers.
1.3 60fts on stock studs is not smart. even with a mag/shank lug, they will take a beating over time, not to mention its not legal at those speeds(considering the 60ft)

some people at the track scare me. its better to know, but worse to know what could be comming.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TJ
im glad your wheel didnt fall off and hurt you, or the other guy on the track with you.
safety is important.
yeah im glad too.
KD=no tech inspection=redneck racing at its best.lol
Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is due to wheel hop for sure. I posted pics of my 1/2 rear studs over a year ago, that developed a nice little twist in them from wheel hopping on the street and on street tires. Guys have done the same thing with 5/8 studs as well. Bottom line is wheel hop kills parts.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

now, you can joke about it safely now. . .who won? You or the wheel?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

my money is on the wheel.lol the wheel always wins unless it wrecks first
Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

I am glad my wheel did not get in the other guys way too, It did beat me by a length or two. First incident I have ever had at the track. I was really amazed that absolutely nothing on the car other than the rotor touched the ground.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

so maybe you broke 7s on the wheel snapping pass since it was ahead a couple lenghts? hopfully they timed the wheel.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
7 Second Club

Bummer but as mentioned wheelhop is bad...mkay?

Good luck getting her fixed and back out on the track!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

ARP studs have far superior tensile strength than stock studs. Even getting the ARP (stock sized) 12 mm studs would be a huge improvement over stock studs. I can't remember the price but they are not that expensive.

Quick Reply: safety note on stock wheel studs and drag radials