Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:45 PM
CDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car

this is my cam only project car.... 232/234 cam, performabuilt lv2, 4000/2.5 fuddle, 4.10's ect ect...

the pictures are of the front end of the car, sure u recognize the radiator, air lid ect... the front bumper is not finished, but you get the idea. infact none of it is finished, that is just all the **** i initially hacked off the front end. i need to go back and clean everything up and even everything out but just some pics to give you an idea of some of the weight reduction

its getting atleast a 6pt. maybe a 10pt bar for the spray.
wheels skinnies and 28x325 m/t dr's, lightweight carpet maybe... ill post up more pics once everything is finished.

right now without the cage and really no lightweight parts bought the car is around 3000-3050 raceweight, im just hoping i can offset the cage with a lightweight k member/battery and other things...
Attached Thumbnails pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-526f.jpg   pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-528f.jpg   pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-530f.jpg   pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-536f.jpg   pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-537f.jpg  

Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
CDR

drilling some of that extra spot welded metal out of the interior..
Attached Thumbnails pictures of weight reduction on cdr's cam only car-mvc-532f.jpg  
Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I wish I would have drilled the spot welds out. My first one cut out ended up like this:

What did you use to cut it out? I was using an air chisel.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I just cut the brackets along the edge after the spot welds, yeah it left a little metal tab, but I'd rather leave that, then have it look like what belfag has there, or have a swiss cheese car that has abotu a million holes in it everywhere.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good. Our projects are kind of similar.
I am jealous you are wearing sandals!!!
Good luck!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

whats up with the 2 tone front end colors...and i think by cutting the mouth into the catfish of the front end is going to cause more drag than anything...have fun though i know i do with weight reduction...
Old 03-22-2008, 10:49 AM
CDR

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Yeah, I wish I would have drilled the spot welds out. My first one cut out ended up like this:

What did you use to cut it out? I was using an air chisel.
i used a 35$ drill with a tiny pilot bit... just to get the hole started over the spot weld then i used a 3/8th to kinda open it up... the hard part was finding them all. i spent 20 minutes trying to pry the first piece out until i realized there were to more welds i didn't hit lol

it all else fails get some bondo or something and u can patch those tiny holes
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
CDR

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Looks good. Our projects are kind of similar.
I am jealous you are wearing sandals!!!
Good luck!
eh, i always wear the sandals when its hot..... it was 85 degrees or so here yesterday
Old 03-22-2008, 10:55 AM
CDR

Originally Posted by chrs1313
whats up with the 2 tone front end colors...and i think by cutting the mouth into the catfish of the front end is going to cause more drag than anything...have fun though i know i do with weight reduction...
an old lady hit the car in a parking lot last year while it was setting being worked on.. bitch backed right into it and drove off right in front of me.... tore the bumper up, so actually that is all the undamaged material and i kinda based my design on reducing the damage lol.... it will be a black and red car, but that is just sandable black primer, that is why it looks so crappy, im nowhere near done, i just wanted to put it on there to make sure everything still fit

i dont think it will hurt my 1/4 mile times bc of drag.... top speed maybe, i could be wrong though... atleast nothing will overheat
Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I just cut the brackets along the edge after the spot welds, yeah it left a little metal tab, but I'd rather leave that, then have it look like what belfag has there, or have a swiss cheese car that has abotu a million holes in it everywhere.
I cut the tabs off of the side, just not the back. I had the air hose stretched all the way across / over the shop then attached to another one. If I had an extra four inches I probably could have reached it. I did start drilling all the other ones:

Originally Posted by CDR
i used a 35$ drill with a tiny pilot bit... just to get the hole started over the spot weld then i used a 3/8th to kinda open it up... the hard part was finding them all. i spent 20 minutes trying to pry the first piece out until i realized there were to more welds i didn't hit lol

it all else fails get some bondo or something and u can patch those tiny holes
Haha, I know what you mean about the spot welds. They took me forever on the ones in the picture I posted above. I plan on welding the holes up with a little plate.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

That beam there in the pic above I left it on my car. Do you guys think it adds structural strength or could I remove it?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've seen it removed, when you do a minitub it has to go to make clearance. But, does it add any structure to the car? I assume it does, or they wouldn't have bothered putting it there. If it was a good idea to leave out, GM would have to save a dollar in sheet metal I'm sure.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I've seen it removed, when you do a minitub it has to go to make clearance. But, does it add any structure to the car? I assume it does, or they wouldn't have bothered putting it there. If it was a good idea to leave out, GM would have to save a dollar in sheet metal I'm sure.
GM also designed the car with rear passengers in mind. A racecar with a rollbar doesn't.