Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does STREET CAR mean to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a faceplated t56 and a spool. Still gets driven weekly. to and from work, grocery store and such
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tags and Registration + Pump Gas IMO...Anything else is okay.

Blake
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^^^^ keepin it real ^^^^^^^^
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

dangit i hate when someone post between what im posting to........ lol
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

My idea of a street car is pulling back into the pits after a 6.95 1/8 mile pass and having someone ask, "didn't I see you wife driving that car yesterday with a dog hanging out the window!"

For about 5 years I drove 45 minutes to the track, changed all 4 tires, raced all night, changed all 4 tires again, and then drove 45 minutes home (getting 19 mpg)

A street car is in the eye of the beholder!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Hugger
My idea of a street car is pulling back into the pits after a 6.95 1/8 mile pass and having someone ask, "didn't I see you wife driving that car yesterday with a dog hanging out the window!"

For about 5 years I drove 45 minutes to the track, changed all 4 tires, raced all night, changed all 4 tires again, and then drove 45 minutes home (getting 19 mpg)

A street car is in the eye of the beholder!

I'm with him

FWIW- This day and time cubic inches are not a factor for a street car vs race car. Fuel type is.

Shock selection isn't a factor IMO because it's an adjustability feature that can actually improve daily drive comfort and handling.

IMO- If you can drive the car 200+ one way and back without breaking the law and sacrificing the comfort of a female, it's a legit street car.

Fuel cut off?

Last edited by TXCAMSS; 04-16-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Alteration
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Well I run 6.6x in the 1/8th and get 15 mpg, and my German Shepherd had a few rides in it.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Mine has a RMVB TH400 with a transbrake, 12 bolt with 4.10s and a spool, no HVAC, no PS, no horn, no Ebrake, but it does have a big honkin stereo and it is tagged and insured.

I like to call it a street car.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^^^^^thats just wrong..... no way a street car like that should have a stereo. hahaha
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mightymouse
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry if I burst anyones bubble but no a/c doesn't make it a race car. I've never seen anyone go wheels up from just removing the a/c or smog crap

Having 10 gallons of c-12 in the back seat so you can make it to a car show and back isn't really a street car, you need to be able to go to any gas station and get gas, I just don't see how it is a race car if you have to drive from performance shop to performance shop to get gas

Tubs give you more room for tires, hell some guys that like lowered cars and have 20+ rims put in tubs, that doesn't make it a race car, you can still have a back seat even with 40" tubs which I personally have with a full interior, that doesn't make it a race car.

Race car = Race gas, serious cages, hauls ***. Obviously there is a difference between a fast street car and a race car and it has nothing to do with a stereo or a/c.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

In the purist terms, "Tags", "Insurance", "registration" and the ability to not get pulled over for equipment violations in your state = street car.

Personally, If I can go out and legally drive my car on any 25-100 mile cruise night I consider it street car. If I can drive my street legal race car 5 miles to the track and back I still do not consider it a street car, even if the state recognizes it as such.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

To me, there is a big difference between streetable, street, and truly legal. My 04 GTO runs low 11's N/A with a M6 on DR's on pump gas NOT gutted by any means...drive it all the time to work, doesn't over heat in traffic, can drive anywhere anytime if the regular tires are on. To me, that is a STREET CAR that has all safety equipment intact and passes emissions testing here without any games.

I have had a 750hp N/A "street car" (69 Camaro) when I was younger that I drove in the Texas heat with no P/S, no P/B, manual everything, no heater (factory delete), no nothing...had to run race gas if I wanted the timing up (13.5-1 compression). I drove it all the time, but the girlfriend(s) hated it except for the occasional drive on a decently cool, but not too cool day, up to Keller's. Yes, it had tags and insurance, but only lap belts. Yes, it was STREETABLE, but now that I am 25 years older than when I had that, you would catch me driving that 45-miles one-way to my work.

However, as stated, one person's version of gutted, "stock", race, street, streetable, thin, fat, old, young, rich, poor, etc. can vary WILDLY.

Off my soapbox...someone take over with THEIR opinion. Take care. Dave
Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it means it can be driven for a long peroids of time without over heating, breaking, ect..... nothing more nothing less unless you are a baby and get mad everytime someone beats you..... then you can start naming weight removal, power adders, higher compression, good qaulity parts in a motor, higher hp, ect and say that measn it s a race car but its not
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Go to a NMCA event near you and you will have the answer to this question.

TREMEC TRUE STREET for rules go to www.nmcadigital.com

Last edited by nmcajeff; 04-17-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 204 Posts

I classify a street car as one that has insurance/tags/registration, can legally be driven without overheating or requiring a helmet to be worn at all times so you don't crush your skull on a roll cage in an accident.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

To me it means having every component that the car came with and all factory options still functional. I don't mind parts being upgraded, but to me the elimination of factory equipment or features means race car. I can run low elevens on motor after driving 5 hours to the track with my wife and kids comfortably in the car with the AC and radio going. Having one seat, no AC, no power steering and calling it a street car to me is BS. If you can't leave on a cross country trip in the car at any moment, it is not a street car... it is a race car that happens to get driven on the street.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I have friends that tell me mine is a race car? Damed slowest race car ever if it is.

We came up with a point system , not saying this is right but here it goes:

It seems everyone is always arguing over whether or not their car is a street car or a race car. It seems no one has ever come up with a system to determine this. We got together today and came up with a little test to see if your car is a race car or street car. So here it is... the arguing is OVER!! Go down the list and add up your mods. If you add up to 100 or better, you have a RACE CAR!!

100 pts = race car

Non factory power adder 10
Spool 15
6 point Cage 15
8 point or better Roll cage 25
Non Factory Rear Axle 15
Big Hydraulic Cam 10
Solid Roller Cam 20
2000-3000 Stall Converter 5
3100 to 3900 stall 10
4000 or higher stall 15
Aftermarket clutch 10
Air Conditioning deleted 15
Emissions deleted 5
Drag Radials 5
Drag Slicks 10
Front Skinnies 10
Missing interior 5
Bigger displacement 10
Fuel Cell 15
2 or 3 speed Automatic trans conversion 20
Tubular K-Member 5
Removed Bumpers or supports 10
Lexan Glass 25
Parachute 25
Fuel Shutoff valve 10
Wheelie bars 25
Headers 5
Exhaust dumps before axle 10
Aftermarket Fuel Injection system (FAST, DFI) 10
QA1 or similar shocks 10
Few BMR mods 5
Extensive BMR mods (or equivilant) 15
Non reclinable Race Seats 25
Missing Sway bar 5
Electric water pump 5
Only runs on race gas 50
every cool streetcar i've ever admired WAAAAAAAAAAY surpases your 100 points system. the car we built for a buddy scores 240 points by your system, and it gets driven everywhere. still a streetcar to me...

if you remember soslow's pewter t/a; it's running around here all over the street. parachute, wheelie bars, hoosier's, full cage, and running on e85. the best i figure, it scores around 350 - 375 on your scale...hell, i saw him driving around in december, christmas shopping in it. drives to the track, runs the numbers, cruises, and drives home. i'll call it a street car.

if you can drive to the track, make passes, cruise around, then go home...i could care less about what fuel you're running. there's a couple of alcohol cars that regularly see street time around here, and one on e85.

i would like to say that drag radials are as far as you can go on street radials, but i won't. i daily drive on DR's; snow, ice, and rain included; so somebody cruising with e/t streets, qtp's or even slicks don't make me think less of a streetcar. there's a kid in dallas with a daily driven fox coupe, only mods are headers and exhaust and a small dry shot going 7.1x's (1/8) and rolls to the track on slicks (occasionally). does that make his a race car? didn't think so...

'chutes and wheelie bars? if you need them on the track, and drive it on the street, i don't see a problem with it. cages too.

my opinion...
1. driven on the street regularly
2. registered and insured. (i don't care about tags, other than current, because they're just too easy to "acquire") <-- how many people drive without this everyday though

check out these three vids of this street car:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePeUBl-pfzk&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SD65zFt6IiY&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=19w-iZuPcEE&feature=related
Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

LOL at all of you guys... this thread should be titled "what do you consider your car?" because you're all just stating what equipment your car has.

Oh and to go along with the person who quoted that nearly all GM's used to have 2 and 3 speeds... nearly all GM's used to come without A/C too! So you A/C cry babies can drop that requirement off your list.

My book, if you don't get picked up by a cop when you drive by, you've passed the test, you've got yourself a street car, and especially in the eyes of the only person that really cares!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tee-boy
how does a full spool add into the equation?
it doesn't....ask bob how many "street" cars he has sold spool's too, IMO its more street friendly than a locker.

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
My thoughts:

1. pump gas

2. full interior

3. stereo

4. power windows and locks

5. able to drive 300 miles non-stop
why the power windows and locks? what if the car didn't come with them to begin with?

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
Tagged
Insured
No Tubs
Full Interior
/\ Will make a 300 mile drive

* See picture below

Other than that no rules. If it runs only on race gas I don't really think its a street car either, because you won't find race gas on the street.
why no tubs? what does this do to sacrifice it being a street car? you can still have a full interior.

my def. is as most, pump gas, tagged and titled. and at least carpet in it...hard to call a fully gutted car with no carpet a street car.

I tell the ricer honda boys that all the time.

Chad