Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She's slowly starting to come back together, shouldn't be too much longer now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
No pics at the moment.. As soon as I get everything back together and going I'll take some pics of the engine and the car.

I hope my hood gets here in one piece.. They charge $20 for packaging so you would think they would do a good job. I know its hard as hell to get a hold of anyone up there and even harder to get them to call you back. I got my hood on the GP so it was a great deal as long as it gets here next week and its not busted all to hell!

And yes you would definitely need this hood if you are planning to run a SpeedTech plate. The plate itself is an inch thick maybe a bit more and I have a 1/2" spacer between the nitrous plate and the t/b.. Its tall, but it looks damn good!
the speed tech plate is only about 1/2" thick on my buddies car.

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Out of curiosity, why did you put another 1/2" spacer between the plate and tb?
i haven't seen one under a 4bbl throttle body, but the carb guys use at least a 1/2" spacer to make it easier to get to the jets. otherwise it's a BIG pain in the dick.

you'll love the speedtech plate though. are you still going to be using silly amounts of nitrous? they say the speedtech plate works really well even with small shots, but really comes into it's own when putting large volumes of nitrous through it. it has been really good to us on the 100 hit while getting the car sorted out...
Old 04-18-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
Great job, keep it up!!! I think i'm gonna start doin some bracket racing on motor till I put the spray back on and see if I can win some money to help pay for it!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I've got the same hood in the LT1 version with the 6" cowl and it wasn't packaged all that great either...... But it was in one piece. I'll see how it looks after paint and go from there...

Engine looks good....... good luck with it...
Thanks man, I definately think we're gonna have to do a bit of prep work on the hood before we paint it, which sucks, but whatever!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wolfy

i haven't seen one under a 4bbl throttle body, but the carb guys use at least a 1/2" spacer to make it easier to get to the jets. otherwise it's a BIG pain in the dick.

you'll love the speedtech plate though. are you still going to be using silly amounts of nitrous? they say the speedtech plate works really well even with small shots, but really comes into it's own when putting large volumes of nitrous through it. it has been really good to us on the 100 hit while getting the car sorted out...
Yeah, i'm gonna start back out at 300 and bump up to 400, so that's why i'm still up in the air on the speedtech plate or a direct port, just don't wanna run into distribution problems again and hurt the motor again, but from everything i've heard about the speedtech plate it's very good with distribution and I got a buddy that can get it for me like super cheap!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Well does your buddy have a DUAL STAGE PLATE?? Nope... I do..

I have to run a 1/2" spacer between the throttle body and the nitrous plate because the throttle body blades can't open up without hitting the nitrous plate if I don't have the spacer.. It would be nice to have a spacer underneath the nitrous plate as well, but that would be way too tall..
Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Out of curiosity, why did you put another 1/2" spacer between the plate and tb?
The way that the Accel T/B is made you have to run a spacer between them or the blades in the t/b will only open about half way and then they hit the nitrous plate..
TECH Junkie

Well does your buddy have a DUAL STAGE PLATE?? Nope... I do..

I have to run a 1/2" spacer between the throttle body and the nitrous plate because the throttle body blades can't open up without hitting the nitrous plate if I don't have the spacer.. It would be nice to have a spacer underneath the nitrous plate as well, but that would be way too tall..
Yeah, i'm gonna get the single stage and use a progressive, good to know about the the spacer, thanks!

BTW, anyone hear anything about using a progressive on the speedtech setup, is that ok, i've different stories sayin they tell you not too and then i've heard others that it's fine, any real world proof from any of you guys, if I hit the entire shot out of the hole, i'm flipping over backwards, hahaha and I wanna use the progressive to get as much in as fast as possible without hittin the bumper!
TECH Junkie

The way that the Accel T/B is made you have to run a spacer between them or the blades in the t/b will only open about half way and then they hit the nitrous plate..
Oh, is that only on the Accel?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Oh, is that only on the Accel?
I'm not really sure.. The Accel has two big blades in it and when you open it up all the way the blades stick out the bottom about a 1/2" or so. I haven't seen the Accufab, but I did see a Wilson 4150 style t/b and it had the 4 small holes/blades in it and I think the blades were far enough up into the holes that when you opened it up they didn't hang out the bottom any.. Not sure though..

Last edited by 1QuickT-A; 04-18-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

BTW, anyone hear anything about using a progressive on the speedtech setup, is that ok, i've different stories sayin they tell you not too and then i've heard others that it's fine, any real world proof from any of you guys, if I hit the entire shot out of the hole, i'm flipping over backwards, hahaha and I wanna use the progressive to get as much in as fast as possible without hittin the bumper!
The guys at SpeedTech do not recommend using a progressive controller on their kits or any kits for that matter.. It doesn't have anything to do with their kits in particular.. They don't recommend them because they wear out the solenoids alot faster than normal.. Its basically up to you if you want to run a controller or not, but you have to rebuild and maintain the solenoids pretty often. Even if you check them or rebuild them frequently you still can't make them 100% new again because it wears out the inside of the solenoid after a while and then even with a new plunger etc etc the noid is still worn on the inside so the kit doesn't work like it should and you start noticing that your going slower and slower on the jug..

Thats one reason that I went with a 2 stage plate setup.. I am gonna try drag radials this time around and I would really like to stay off the bumper and not kill my front end parts on the way down.. With the 2 stage setup I can play with it until I figure out what size shot the car can handle the best out of the hole without getting crazy air then I can play with the 2nd stage and really get down once the car is stabil again..
Old 04-18-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

The guys at SpeedTech do not recommend using a progressive controller on their kits or any kits for that matter.. It doesn't have anything to do with their kits in particular.. They don't recommend them because they wear out the solenoids alot faster than normal.. Its basically up to you if you want to run a controller or not, but you have to rebuild and maintain the solenoids pretty often. Even if you check them or rebuild them frequently you still can't make them 100% new again because it wears out the inside of the solenoid after a while and then even with a new plunger etc etc the noid is still worn on the inside so the kit doesn't work like it should and you start noticing that your going slower and slower on the jug..

Thats one reason that I went with a 2 stage plate setup.. I am gonna try drag radials this time around and I would really like to stay off the bumper and not kill my front end parts on the way down.. With the 2 stage setup I can play with it until I figure out what size shot the car can handle the best out of the hole without getting crazy air then I can play with the 2nd stage and really get down once the car is stabil again..
Dude, i'll tell ya this, I had a 2 stage, when I left on both I had 2 to 3 mph more than leaving on the first kit and then adding the 2nd stage only .6 - .9 seconds later, that's a big difference and not that much of a delay! I want as much in as quick as possible without bumper dragging, I figure the ramp will not hit as hard as the second big shot and be smoother and just ride out the wheelie. Also, I won't be fluttering those noids very long, it's gonna be at 100% very quickly, and I have buddies with NX and NOS kits running progressives for a long time now without problems, so that's why I was asking if it was just something with their noids that was a problem, thanks for the info!
Old 04-20-2008, 01:30 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha, thanks, she's been sitting for a year, so she's pretty dirty, i've pulled her out and given her a quick wash down quit a few times, but its hard to keep her clean with a dirt lead up to the driveway, the wind blows it all over her and I don't have a garage!
Just giving ya hell bro. At least yours will be together WAY before the Nova...
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Just giving ya hell bro. At least yours will be together WAY before the Nova...
What's up with the Nova?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 PM
7 Second Club

What's up with the Nova?
Project Thought t would take a year but still going...

Formula has gotten a bit of a workout though
Old 04-20-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Project Thought t would take a year but still going...

Formula has gotten a bit of a workout though
Ouch, hate those projects!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Are those heads coated on the intake and exhaust runners? Maybe its is the pictures.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redrumss
Are those heads coated on the intake and exhaust runners? Maybe its is the pictures.

Nope, must just be the pictures.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey, btw, what does everyone think for the dzus fasteners for the hood, I was thinkin 4 down each side, 3 up front, and 2 in the back (one on each side of the cowl), should that be enough?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I have 3 down each side and 2 in the front, I also have my hood sitting on a frame I made to help with sagging since they are so thin.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Hey, btw, what does everyone think for the dzus fasteners for the hood, I was thinkin 4 down each side, 3 up front, and 2 in the back (one on each side of the cowl), should that be enough?
Exact same plans I've got for this one: