Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She's slowly starting to come back together, shouldn't be too much longer now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default She's slowly starting to come back together, shouldn't be too much longer now!

Well, i've been down for pretty much a full year now just for the simple fact that I haven't had the money to put into her to get her going again! I changed career paths and I just recently got hired at the phone company and am doing a lot better financially now, so i've started piecing things together to get her runnin again, figured i'd share my progress since it's gettin close, and as soon as she's up and running i'll update everyone with some new times!

New Intake:

(After being port matched)

My heads back from the machine shopped after gettin fixed and cleaned up:

Reassembling the motor (huge thanks again to Dave (Blueballszz)!):

Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Cutting out the cowl in preparation for the new intake/hood setup (after reinstalling the motor, would've been easier with it out, but I had my tranny hanging from it using metal hangers, so I kind of couldn't):

Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

New Hood:

New switch/gauge panel I made, my old one looked like crap!:

(Old one)

New (before paint, made it out of lexan)

After Paint (Top part is for gauges, but I don't have the ones I wanna use yet, so it will remain empty for a little while)

Had a problem with it flexing a lot when I pushed the starter button cuz that button is pretty stiff, so I fixed it with this (it pushes up against the lexan panel right between the starter button and indicator light above it and now it doesn't flex at all):

Panel all finished and in place

That's about all I have for now, it's still the same 374 cube motor built for a sloppy shot, same futral cam, and same TEA heads, but with a few changes.

Bumped compression to around 11.8 - 12.0 from 11.3 (milled the heads), using the gmpp intake with an accufab 4bbl throttle body instead of a fast 90, and puttin a set of kooks 2" primary headers on the car instead of the jet hot 1-3/4 I had on it. I'm thinking about using a speedtech plate for the nitrous, but not sure if i'm gonna do that or put a direct port on it, but i'd like to stay away from the direct port cuz they're a mess!

Anyways, only things I have left to get before she runs is the headers, accufab throttle body, and a set of 42lb injectors. I ordered a new nose clip this week and as soon as that comes in we'll put the new hood on and then i'll get those few things and start her up and run her on motor for a little while till I decide what I wanna do for the spray! Sorry I made such a long post, just been a while since i've even checked the board and just figured i'd make a little update post and let everyone know what's goin on and see what's up with everyone else, hopefully have some vids and more updates for ya soon!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good, coming together nicely! I bet ya can't wait to make some runs again
Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Good luck on the rest of the rebuild.

Coach
Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Looks good, coming together nicely! I bet ya can't wait to make some runs again
Thanks dude, definately can't wait to make runs, i'm so overdue!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
Nice. Good luck on the rest of the rebuild.

Coach
Thanks Coach, hows ur car doin? Hows the bracket racing been goin?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Race your car!

I hear ya on making runs, after all the work I did on my junk over the winter I'm dying to see how it goes. 200 lbs out, alot of weight shift to the rear,better Nos gearing and probably another 15 to 20 rw should make for intresting results.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I hear ya on making runs, after all the work I did on my junk over the winter I'm dying to see how it goes. 200 lbs out, alot of weight shift to the rear,better Nos gearing and probably another 15 to 20 rw should make for intresting results.
Nice, when do ur tracks open up, or are they already open?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Good to see the car coming back together!! Your story sounds oh so familiar!! lol My car was also down all of last year because I'm a broke ***, but I'm about 2 weeks away from track time now.. Have to wire up the nitrous system(s) & water pump, put on the mufflers and offset lcas, re-tune, and put the new hood on.

I cut my cowl out too, but I cut it almost all the way across. I left the cubby hole on the driver side there (good place to store hand tools LOL) and I left a little on the passenger side to make it match.. There is tons of room under there now!!!

I'm running the same intake as you with an Accel 4150 t/b.. I finally got the SpeedTech dual stage plate system in and its all installed.. And it looks F'ing awesome too!! In order for all of that to clear I had to call VFN and my hood (Sunoco extd) is suppose to arrive any day now..

I went back with the same 408, same AFR heads, same cam, same CR, etc etc. I did add a Transbrake to my TH400, swapped my Dynatech 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 headers out for some 1-7/8 to 2" Kooks headers, dropped the 4" full exhaust and went to Spiral flows straight off the headers, tossed the Corbeau seats and went to one alum. Kirkey seat, and I've got 325/50 M/T DRs on the car now. Also installed some MadMan Save Your *** Bars cause I figured that I would need them!! lol
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Good to see the car coming back together!! Your story sounds oh so familiar!! lol My car was also down all of last year because I'm a broke ***, but I'm about 2 weeks away from track time now.. Have to wire up the nitrous system(s) & water pump, put on the mufflers and offset lcas, re-tune, and put the new hood on.

I cut my cowl out too, but I cut it almost all the way across. I left the cubby hole on the driver side there (good place to store hand tools LOL) and I left a little on the passenger side to make it match.. There is tons of room under there now!!!

I'm running the same intake as you with an Accel 4150 t/b.. I finally got the SpeedTech dual stage plate system in and its all installed.. And it looks F'ing awesome too!! In order for all of that to clear I had to call VFN and my hood (Sunoco extd) is suppose to arrive any day now..

I went back with the same 408, same AFR heads, same cam, same CR, etc etc. I did add a Transbrake to my TH400, swapped my Dynatech 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 headers out for some 1-7/8 to 2" Kooks headers, dropped the 4" full exhaust and went to Spiral flows straight off the headers, tossed the Corbeau seats and went to one alum. Kirkey seat, and I've got 325/50 M/T DRs on the car now. Also installed some MadMan Save Your *** Bars cause I figured that I would need them!! lol
Hahaha, awesome dude, you got any pics of everything together with that speedtech plate? That's the hood I got the sunoco extended (took 7 weeks to get, and then I was a bit annoyed that they don't package the things better, lucky nothing broke, but it is all scratched up and has some chipping around the edges. They just put the thing in a box, with no padding or anything, and then the freight company blows, the box was totally destroyed and the hood was hanging out of it, like I said, I was pretty pissed off, but i'm not even gonna bother sending it back and wasting all that time, it took forever to get as is. Not even gonna bother complaining to them, i'm sure others have, and it obviously goes in one ear and out the other if they're still packaging them like this. They make a great hood, but they need to take better care of packaging them, seems like they almost don't even care that their nice *** hood that we pay good money for could possibly be destroyed before we ever even get it!), love the look of it and figured it should give me plenty of clearance to fit everything and an air cleaner on top.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, Devon back from the dead! Glad to see the white car is still grubby looking like usual but going back together! Keep us posted on getting her back together and what she runs when you hit the track!

Derek
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Hahaha, awesome dude, you got any pics of everything together with that speedtech plate? That's the hood I got the sunoco extended (took 7 weeks to get, and then I was a bit annoyed that they don't package the things better, lucky nothing broke, but it is all scratched up and has some chipping around the edges. They just put the thing in a box, with no padding or anything, and then the freight company blows, the box was totally destroyed and the hood was hanging out of it, like I said, I was pretty pissed off, but i'm not even gonna bother sending it back and wasting all that time, it took forever to get as is. Not even gonna bother complaining to them, i'm sure others have, and it obviously goes in one ear and out the other if they're still packaging them like this. They make a great hood, but they need to take better care of packaging them, seems like they almost don't even care that their nice *** hood that we pay good money for could possibly be destroyed before we ever even get it!), love the look of it and figured it should give me plenty of clearance to fit everything and an air cleaner on top.

No pics at the moment.. As soon as I get everything back together and going I'll take some pics of the engine and the car.

I hope my hood gets here in one piece.. They charge $20 for packaging so you would think they would do a good job. I know its hard as hell to get a hold of anyone up there and even harder to get them to call you back. I got my hood on the GP so it was a great deal as long as it gets here next week and its not busted all to hell!

And yes you would definitely need this hood if you are planning to run a SpeedTech plate. The plate itself is an inch thick maybe a bit more and I have a 1/2" spacer between the nitrous plate and the t/b.. Its tall, but it looks damn good!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Race your car!

Nice, when do ur tracks open up, or are they already open?
They're opening up now. I'm about 3 weeks I figure away from being able to go, I'll have the physcial done so I can go for my nhra lic. runs, get that done and out of the way, and hopefully make the lsx race @ atco that's happening june 6th, or whatever that weekend is
Old 04-18-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Damn, Devon back from the dead! Glad to see the white car is still grubby looking like usual but going back together! Keep us posted on getting her back together and what she runs when you hit the track!

Derek
Hahaha, thanks, she's been sitting for a year, so she's pretty dirty, i've pulled her out and given her a quick wash down quit a few times, but its hard to keep her clean with a dirt lead up to the driveway, the wind blows it all over her and I don't have a garage!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

They're opening up now. I'm about 3 weeks I figure away from being able to go, I'll have the physcial done so I can go for my nhra lic. runs, get that done and out of the way, and hopefully make the lsx race @ atco that's happening june 6th, or whatever that weekend is
Sweet, that's something I still have to do when I get her goin again, the license, one of my buddy's just got his, he finally did all his safety stuff and went got it.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
No pics at the moment.. As soon as I get everything back together and going I'll take some pics of the engine and the car.

I hope my hood gets here in one piece.. They charge $20 for packaging so you would think they would do a good job. I know its hard as hell to get a hold of anyone up there and even harder to get them to call you back. I got my hood on the GP so it was a great deal as long as it gets here next week and its not busted all to hell!

And yes you would definitely need this hood if you are planning to run a SpeedTech plate. The plate itself is an inch thick maybe a bit more and I have a 1/2" spacer between the nitrous plate and the t/b.. Its tall, but it looks damn good!
Out of curiosity, why did you put another 1/2" spacer between the plate and tb?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks awesome

PM me I have a Accufab TB for sale.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Coach, hows ur car doin? Hows the bracket racing been goin?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/902161-sweet-1st-win-2008-a.html

Started the 2008 season on the + side.

Coach

Last edited by Coach 02 A3 Z/28; 04-18-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

I've got the same hood in the LT1 version with the 6" cowl and it wasn't packaged all that great either...... But it was in one piece. I'll see how it looks after paint and go from there...

Engine looks good....... good luck with it...