Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camaro "Kerminator" 25.5 Build Thread - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro "Kerminator" 25.5 Build Thread - PICS

We are going a different direction with our 25.5 cage compared to most styles that we complete. We are keeping the entire cage within the car to allow for our maximum exhaust clearance (We are running 3.5" y-pipe fabbed into 4" straight back to a pte thumper 91mm).

I'll use this thread to keep the build updated, please feel free to ask any questions.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow cool deal, I am doing the same thing in a big tire version, building my cage floor up a little higher so I have room for exhaust under for my 25.5 BBC tubbed car.

Any pics of this rear mount setup? Guessing it is mild steel? I am debating mild steel or CM myself at the moment.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

looks good...similar approach to how we did mine. Are you planning on keeping bars 2A and 2B inside the car? Looks like you are keeping bar 6 in (foot bar) based on the picture...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post a pic or 2 of your vacuum pump setup.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

Guessing it is mild steel? I am debating mild steel or CM myself at the moment.
Nope, I don't even stock MS DOM, I do everything including fabricated suspension components, wheelie bars, cages all in 4130 CM only.

Are you planning on keeping bars 2A and 2B inside the car?
Yes sir we are. The only bar going underneath planned is 6C. We may add another bar underneath for the DS loop. I have a couple of additions over the SFI guidelines and we used some bigger tube in place of the guideline size.

Phil: It's actually the GZ Motorsports kit. We had to fabricate a new bracket for the pump due to the spacing of the motor/solid mounts, etc.

- Matt

- Matt
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Think $1,500 for a moly 3/4 chassis kit is a good deal?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Bit off topic on the thread, but definitely RAGEN I'd say that is a good deal. The moly and jig notching alone is a lot more than that, and is this fully welded or just the kit unwelded?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cars looks good..... Love the Color Im Biased LOL
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Bit off topic on the thread, but definitely RAGEN I'd say that is a good deal. The moly and jig notching alone is a lot more than that, and is this fully welded or just the kit unwelded?
Kit unwelded, with all brackets included. It's moly and is built for 25.2 specs.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Matt any reason you're putting the turbo in the back, other then there's alot of room back there for one with the stock fuel tank gone?

I have seen some cars recently that have gone that way, apparently it doesn't really matter where you put it. I always thought the turbo needed the heat from the exhaust to help keep the exhaust gas velocity up, but apparently that thinking is wrong?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

I imagine the turbo and W2A intercooler mounted out back would take a good amount of weight off the front as well, plus with the exhaust running under the car give a lot more room in the engine compartment. At least that would be my reason to do it.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah, the turbo could pretty much be plumbed directly into the intercooler I'm sure if you get imaginitive with it, no downpipe to worry about routing, and the charge pipe can run thru the car so that's not a big deal either.

It was always my understanding that the exhaust velocity and heat was what spooled a turbo, putting it in the back would seem like there would be a bigger lag period before it would spool up fully because the heat and presure would have to build up all that way before it got to the turbo, plus the amount of heat that the turbo wouldn't see because the exhaust has cooled in the time/distance it takes to get to the back of the car would also effect what the exhaust could push/spin.

Paul major has disproved alot of that with his rear mounted turbo vette, so there must be a way around all that.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 AM
9 Second Club

I remember a couple years ago when I brought up building a rear mount turbo set-up and running it to an intercooler in the trunk.. I got flamed bad.., LOL
Good to see someone actualy proving people wrong on the whole deal.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

http://www.murillomotorsports.com/

http://www.ststurbo.com/murillo

This one seems to run ok, even though the turbo is in the trunk
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Cars looks good..... Love the Color
Kyle I've seen numerous pics of your car and always said the same thing
Green race cars, oh boy!

The entire thought process of this was to build a very stout drag radial turbo car, that theoretically I could put into a customer's street car. Thus the reason for right now we are wet sump, double roller tc (no jesel), stock ls7 rockers, rearmount turbo, etc. I'm not saying we'll throw a 91 thumper in your street car, but with our one-off custom bent turbo kits in house we can use a nice front mount a-a intercooler, kooks headers, custom turbo back exhaust with an aluminum block up front.

The plans after we make this combination proven will be to go further with the Jesel belt drive/valvetrain, Dry Sump, etc. this will be going on with the 114-106.

GForce: And it will run very well too. Look at Paul Major's trick setup, he's running a few of those huffers in the trunk and that car moves out.

RAGEN: Yes that too. It puts more weight on tires, and we're going to be skating on drag radials this year so anything helps lol.

We will be running Cecil County 1/8 mile DR sat. night shootouts, atco/etown 8.50 index, lsx shootout memphis, street nationals, drag radial outlaw championships... I'll have the schedule posted on our website within a few weeks... Hoping to put down some stout 7 second passes.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
yeah, the turbo could pretty much be plumbed directly into the intercooler I'm sure if you get imaginitive with it, no downpipe to worry about routing, and the charge pipe can run thru the car so that's not a big deal either.

It was always my understanding that the exhaust velocity and heat was what spooled a turbo, putting it in the back would seem like there would be a bigger lag period before it would spool up fully because the heat and presure would have to build up all that way before it got to the turbo, plus the amount of heat that the turbo wouldn't see because the exhaust has cooled in the time/distance it takes to get to the back of the car would also effect what the exhaust could push/spin.

Paul major has disproved alot of that with his rear mounted turbo vette, so there must be a way around all that.
I think the guys that go rear mount don't use the same turbo setup, they have a different exhaust setup that helps it spool quicker when it is mounted in the back.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

After we complete the 25.5 then the turbo project starts. We still have to refabricate the motor mounts to drop the motor/trans down a bit. There is still a decent amount to go on the project but we're forging forward. June 6-8 @ ATCO is our push, but my team would never rush anything for safety sense if it happens it happens... If not we'll definitely be down there with another car.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck on the dead line, I'd be done by then but I am 30k short lol.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

I have most of the parts, the Bogarts just came in today so we had the M&Hs mounted on a set of Goldstars.

- Matt
Old 06-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Some new pics... Hard to get time to work on our own project:

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro "Kerminator" 25.5 Build Thread - PICS