Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sux2bu style ram air results

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics of the modded radiator support. I can't seem to find any anywhere.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a gain, hell I wonder what I'm not seeing because I haven't done this type of thing.

I still have the baffles in my ws6 hood LOL
Old 10-12-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

im curious of the effect of removing the plastic liner that channels the air up and to the front of the condenser. surely you would have wild air coming in with no directed path and therefor not be forced over the radiator but yet will stray other places. over and around is what im getting at.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys using to block off the original air inlet? I saw that one guy used foam, but Im sure it never stays in place. weatherstripping maybe? I have an SS and Im sure at higher speeds the little bit of air the hood actually pulls in will blow the foam into the airbox...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverzero
What are you guys using to block off the original air inlet? I saw that one guy used foam, but Im sure it never stays in place. weatherstripping maybe? I have an SS and Im sure at higher speeds the little bit of air the hood actually pulls in will blow the foam into the airbox...
weatherstripping bought from menards stack it like 3 high on itself...it has adhesive on some side...works great...it isnt going anywhere

Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to have that block of 2x2 frost king foam, but it started getting pushed OUT over 100mph. Found some thinner, like 3/4 or 1x1 foam with a stick on bottem just stacked them in 2layers. Same stuff I used the seal the lower duct pan (with the 2 holes) To the lower stock airbox. Its all sealed off really good now
I re user the stock 2 piece rad duct box thing. Just had to notch it fro the tubes. They block a little, but more make a V, that the air gose around the tubes. But without the AC condencer there alot more room then everone with the SLP/FTRA sqare duct that block the middle, and is alot closer to the rad.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, I need to seal mine...I left it open, and didnt know it would hurt my power.... what and where is menards? Ive never heard of it. Hmmm, I have the FTRA and Im wondering if there is anyway I can do the SUX2BU mod with the FTRA...

Last edited by foreverzero; 10-30-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by foreverzero
thanks, I need to seal mine...I left it open, and didnt know it would hurt my power.... what and where is menards? Ive never heard of it. Hmmm, I have the FTRA and Im wondering if there is anyway I can do the SUX2BU mod with the FTRA...
No, and not much if any gain over what you have, unless you just want to sell the FTRA. That way you would have similar gains and money in your pocket.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

What if you ran a SSRA style, but also had SUX2BU piping into that... If you angled the piping right it wouldn't make any turbulence and should flow quite a bit more Let me know what you guys think... Just an idea..
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnet
What if you ran a SSRA style, but also had SUX2BU piping into that... If you angled the piping right it wouldn't make any turbulence and should flow quite a bit more Let me know what you guys think... Just an idea..
you are only as strong as your weakest link...think about it...

a tank has three lines connected to it...

line 1 has 20psi

line 2 has 10psi

line 3 has 5 psi

what is the pressure in the tank?

it isnt 35psi...

Last edited by chrs1313; 10-30-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

umm.... doesn't make to much sense to me honestly.. you claim yours pics up more b/c itflows more..so how will this flowing more be worse...?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll have to many holes. What pressure is builds up from one will just escape through the other.

What he's saying is that, if you are getting 20 psi from the bottom of the radiator and 10 through the bumper, your only gonna have 20 at the air box. So one or the other but not both. If he double the size of his hole at the bottom it would possibly gain but the pressure would be more consistent with no where to go.

Now, if you had a big enough motor that could starve the airbox with either setup then both would help, but that's never gonna be the case.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

So your sayin that were assuming the motor is pulling all it can from the airbox already?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

So your sayin that were assuming the motor is pulling all it can from the airbox already?
oh yeah the motor is pulling way less than is being supplied...i have found with my air box even at 30mph i had more than enough air...positive pressure inside the lid even after the pressure drop from the filter...check out some past posts in the advanced section about ram air...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it works because it is pressurizing the air to an extent, the speed of the car is acting like a turbo in essence. forcing air into the motor, more air than could be pulled in by the motor itself so by creating a big opening then the air being crammed up thier is just going to escape out of the other hole
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You'll have to many holes. What pressure is builds up from one will just escape through the other.

What he's saying is that, if you are getting 20 psi from the bottom of the radiator and 10 through the bumper, your only gonna have 20 at the air box. So one or the other but not both. If he double the size of his hole at the bottom it would possibly gain but the pressure would be more consistent with no where to go.

Now, if you had a big enough motor that could starve the airbox with either setup then both would help, but that's never gonna be the case.
yeah you have it to an extent but the pressure in your senario will only be 10 psi...the 20 will leak out the inlet of the 10 psi...

think of it this way pretend we made subtracted 10 from each of the inlets...so now we have 10psi at one inlet and 0 psi at another so that means that there is 10psi inside the box...

so the max you can ever have in the box is 10 psi...in a way the box has a hole that can be sealed up to a max of 10psi (which is the weaker system)
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chrs1313
yeah you have it to an extent but the pressure in your senario will only be 10 psi...the 20 will leak out the inlet of the 10 psi...

think of it this way pretend we made subtracted 10 from each of the inlets...so now we have 10psi at one inlet and 0 psi at another so that means that there is 10psi inside the box...

so the max you can ever have in the box is 10 psi...in a way the box has a hole that can be sealed up to a max of 10psi (which is the weaker system)
Yeah, I didn't think about that. It would lose air out the low pressure hole til that evened out at 10psi. Assuming that it were that simple. Ofcourse you've got to figure inlet size and shape and the other factor of the other leak that will always be there, which is the engine. Way too complicated to really do the math, but the way your looking at it virtually accomplishes the same goals.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

So your saying since there are two openings, even though they both face the same direction and are being hit with the same air speed, will not flow more to the airbox? And your saying besides this point, even if it does flow more, that it wouldn't help any b/c the air that can be pressured in the intake has already reached its limit with previously stated setups? What about the BIG GULP ram air from this board. Do you not think it would pick up more than a SSRA style? Seems to not be completely consistent...

I don't want to come off argumentative, and don't mean to. I am just trying to discuss...
Old 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

So your saying since there are two openings, even though they both face the same direction and are being hit with the same air speed, will not flow more to the airbox? And your saying besides this point, even if it does flow more, that it wouldn't help any b/c the air that can be pressured in the intake has already reached its limit with previously stated setups? What about the BIG GULP ram air from this board. Do you not think it would pick up more than a SSRA style? Seems to not be completely consistent...

I don't want to come off argumentative, and don't mean to. I am just trying to discuss...
You can have as any holes as you like as long as they have the same air volume and psi.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

i do nto believe the big gulp will gain anything over my setup...it will actualyl lose because it is way less aerodynamic...like trying to hold a cup out the window of a moving car...that is why i fed mine from under where the radiator deflector is... i am not making the car less aerodynamic just stealing some from the radiator...

and no my water temps also stay under 190

so there is a max where no more air will help...

Quick Reply: sux2bu style ram air results