Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New distance for Funny Car and Top Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down New distance for Funny Car and Top Fuel

What do you think of the proposed limit of 1,000 ft instead of the traditional 1/4 mile ? I think it's going to suck !!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

I say it's ---->>>

What, are they trying to save gas?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reduclous but knowing the hype, not surprsing. what many do not understand is it wont slow the cars down. the fuel cars are going 275 in the 1/8th mile. chopping off that last 200 feet wont do anythign for safety
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

In light on scott kalitta's death I would say it is just a rash solution to what happened. The real soultion would be to prepare the track for these speeds. Just like nascar has done with their soft walls, either lengthening NHRA event tracks or preparing the overun area to stop run away vehicles. The way I see it, if the Navy can stop 200 mph 6 ton jets in 150ft (correct me if that distance is incorrect) surely a device can be created to keep fans interest and provide a higher level of safety for drivers and fans.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
In light on scott kalitta's death I would say it is just a rash solution to what happened. The real soultion would be to prepare the track for these speeds. Just like nascar has done with their soft walls, either lengthening NHRA event tracks or preparing the overun area to stop run away vehicles. The way I see it, if the Navy can stop 200 mph 6 ton jets in 150ft (correct me if that distance is incorrect) surely a device can be created to keep fans interest and provide a higher level of safety for drivers and fans.
Exactly.

NHRA hasnt done SQUAT over the years to upgrade their tracks besides add sand and a freaking net. Then they are surprised when something like this happens? The basis of an NHRA track hasnt really changed in almost 30 years. They still have 2.5 ft tall concrete walls which can allow the car to leave a track.

Im sure something other then stopping the race short can stop these cars. They will still be going almost 280+ MPH when they cross the finish line so what will that serve? That is still VERY fast.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that it has less to do with speed, but more to do with reduced engine failures.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Exactly.

NHRA hasnt done SQUAT over the years to upgrade their tracks besides add sand and a freaking net. Then they are surprised when something like this happens? The basis of an NHRA track hasnt really changed in almost 30 years. They still have 2.5 ft tall concrete walls which can allow the car to leave a track.

Im sure something other then stopping the race short can stop these cars. They will still be going almost 280+ MPH when they cross the finish line so what will that serve? That is still VERY fast.
I'm honestly surprised they're doing anything. I took many deaths for nascar to step in and take action. My uncle being one of many who died on the track doing what they loved I can understand the push for added safety but I agree that the NHRA is trying to find an easy out.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Drag Race Central. Note that PRO unanimously supported the decision.

GLENDORA, Calif. -- As the investigation continues into the tragic accident that took the life of driver Scott Kalitta, NHRA announced today that beginning at the Mopar Mile High Nationals in Denver, Colorado, both the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes will race to 1,000 feet instead of the traditional 1,320 feet or one-quarter mile. This is an interim step that is being taken while NHRA continues to analyze and determine whether changes should be made to build upon the sport's long standing safety record, given the inherent risks and ever-present dangers associated with the sport.
This interim change was made by NHRA in collaboration with professional race teams. NHRA believes that racing the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes to 1,000 feet will allow NHRA and the racing community time to evaluate, analyze and implement potential changes based on the safety initiatives outlined last week.

With the change, fans will still be able to enjoy the sights, sounds and thrill of NHRA nitro racing with speeds around 300 mph and quick elapsed times to 1,000 feet.

Over the years, NHRA has implemented many initiatives to enhance safety including measures to limit speeds from increasing, personal protective gear, vehicle improvements, and track enhancements such as sand traps, catch nets and concrete barriers the entire length of the drag strip.

In the wake of the tragic series of events that took Kalitta's life, the following technical issues are currently under investigation: 1) what might be done to reduce engine failures; 2) parachute mounting techniques and materials as well as identifying a parachute material that could be more fire resistant; 3) exploring whether there is a way to increase brake efficiency when cars lose downforce due to the loss of the body; 4) analyzing additional methods that might be developed at the top end of the race track to help arrest runaway vehicles; 5) considering whether current speeds should be further limited or reduced to potentially improve safety.

"The board members of the Professional Racers Owners Organization (PRO) wholeheartedly and unanimously support this decision," said its president Kenny Bernstein. "We want to thank NHRA for listening to our input and suggestions to incorporate these changes. It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind. This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer. We will continue to work hand in hand with NHRA to evaluate other methods of making Top Fuel and Funny Car competition safer so that we might return to our quarter-mile racing standard. We also want to thank Connie Kalitta for his invaluable input. He has been a rock through these difficult times."
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Coal Mining Director

Reduced engine failures due to the rev limiter and it gives them 320 more feet to stop. NHRA owned tracks are pretty bad compared to the other tracks.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^that right there seems to be the major factors. 320 ft doesnt seem like much esp at 300 mph but its still another 300 ft you didnt have before to slow down.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
^^that right there seems to be the major factors. 320 ft doesnt seem like much esp at 300 mph but its still another 300 ft you didnt have before to slow down.
x2 just more room to clow down! thats the reason
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

why don't they make the tracks longer and update the track safety..or something on the cars like breaks the come on automatically when something blows, i pull construction trailers and they have a safety cable that pulls the breaks on if it come of the hitch for some reason. nasscar and F1 make changes to there tracks why not NHRA there 40+ years old. We try to go faster every week end.. it sux no one thinks till someone dies. a top fuel car can only be as safe as the track allows...i don't think 1000ft is really a drag race
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

ridiculous... make a stand and stop watching it until they actually fix something.

in a few years the car will be running 330mph in the 1000ft mark. then what? will it go to 1/8th mile? they need to spend some of the millions they make at each race, on safety. they need to stop thinking of there own pockets and think about the people that make them there money (the drivers).
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Excellent idea, gives them some time to figure out some ideas. Glad the drivers voted for it before they just did it,
with no input from the teams. I think we should support them, & let them have some time. Sitting at the starting line
(we always do) you will barely notice anyway. It's temporary, let's not overreact. At least they are trying, if they did nothing, guys would be bitching about that.

MY 2 CENTS.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

well maybe now the motor will make it the whole way without blowing up
Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jason02Z
why don't they make the tracks longer and update the track safety..or something on the cars like breaks the come on automatically when something blows, i pull construction trailers and they have a safety cable that pulls the breaks on if it come of the hitch for some reason. nasscar and F1 make changes to there tracks why not NHRA there 40+ years old. We try to go faster every week end.. it sux no one thinks till someone dies. a top fuel car can only be as safe as the track allows...i don't think 1000ft is really a drag race
you have to think how safe these cars are already. and they get safer every year. i cant think of any other car where the motor can blow apart the way these motors do and at 200-300 mph and drivers jump out of them. when they loose it and hit a wall at 200+ and walk away with a bruise. they really are safe and will only get safer. but unfortunately something has to happen to show the weak points and where they need to step it up. like the hans device in nascar. we lost dale earnhardt but how many is it going to save? this is just a temp solution im sure until they can find ways to make it safer. it is and always will be a 1/4 mile sport.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I have seen the RACERS supporting this as a way to keep engine failures down. If the racers support it and they feel safer doing WTF.

I have commented for the last few years that damn near every run ends with a very expensive engine explosion.

Seems like a fair fix to me!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

How many of you have sit at the end of a 1/4 mile track at a NHRA national event? Most tracks do not even have seating that far down. The higher priced seats are sold on the starting line for a reason and that is because most people want to see the action as the car fires up and does it burn out..etc..
I honestly do not believe that most will even notice a difference except for the posted ET's and MPH.

JMO
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TRUE racers are always half track and out all the hospitality tents are down there with front row seating

Originally Posted by rickou812
How many of you have sit at the end of a 1/4 mile track at a NHRA national event? Most tracks do not even have seating that far down. The higher priced seats are sold on the starting line for a reason and that is because most people want to see the action as the car fires up and does it burn out..etc..
I honestly do not believe that most will even notice a difference except for the posted ET's and MPH.

JMO
Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why don't they just freakin' go metric?