Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed my chassis certifcation today....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Failed my chassis certifcation today....

I failed because the main hoop bars aren't tied into the rear frame rails. They are just welded to 6"x6"x.125 plates and welded to the floor pan.. This dude went over my car with a fine tooth comb and a mirror and a flashlight. He's hardcore..

Also, I don't have the "D" bars as he put it, those are the bars that run from the main hooop angled downwards to the tunnel. I think if I would have had those bars he would have passed me. Anyway, that's going to be my fix; install the "D" bars.

Now I have to tow to Montgomery next month so he can look it over and give me that precious little sticker that certifies the car to 7.50.

FWIW, I asked him about the t-top deal and he said that next year, t-top cars would be considered convertibles.. I'm just repeating what he said. His name is Mike Welles

Also, next year the 9.99 to 7.50 certification is going to be changed to 9.99 to 8.50. That's a big jump, but he said really it's just going to be adding some more bars to the cage (funny car cage type deal)..

Happy Hotrodding
Old 08-23-2003, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Failed my chassis certifcation today....

thanks for the info Brady. that will help me out with my new cage. guess i better look into the <8.50 rules as well
Old 08-24-2003, 03:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed because the main hoop bars aren't tied into the rear frame rails. They are just welded to 6"x6"x.125 plates and welded to the floor pan
Ummm, last time i read the rule book....

FULL frame cars require the bars to extend through the body and be welded to the frame.

Unibody cars require all points to be welded to 6x6x0.125 plates that are welded to the unibody.

Am i missing something??

Old 08-24-2003, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brady call me monday. The main hoop is how every other F-body is. The "D" bar he is talking about, where are you attaching it to the car????

225-343-9029
Old 08-24-2003, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

he called them "D" bars because D is the letter designated to them in the diagram in the NHRA rulebook (has bars A-E in this diagram). it reads "D- 1 1/4" x .058" CM or .118 MS mandatory when main hoop welded to plates on floor; must be connected to subframe"

but my question is, isnt your main hoop attached to plates ON the subframe already though? and hes saying you need to run these bars to the floorpan? sounds likes hes got things backwards.

also as others stated, the 2003 book states that "On unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted). the roll cage may be bolted or welded to the floor/rocker box via 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates"

sounds like you should leave the car how it is and make a drive to a different inspector, as well as contact his superior at the NHRA to report this
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The guy wasn't in much of a mood to chat about rule interpretations.

This is a pic of the passenger side:

Here is a pic from the rear:

He wants the D bars welded in right above the rear frame rails.. The rear frame rails actually taper off to nearly nothing at the point where he wants the bars welded. Like this (except not purple):

I'm just going to weld the bars in the car, it's not a big deal. I've got to weld the window net in anyways.. The big bummer is I have to travel to get the cage certified..
Old 08-24-2003, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

...and yes, every contact point on the cage is welded to 6x6x.125 plates...
Old 08-24-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks, but at least it sounds like an easy fix to get it to pass...

I should be starting on my cage soon. I hope I can make it pass!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

The nice thing about having a top name shop do your cage is the tech inspector can put the tag on it while its at the shop. And even if it isn't *quite* correct, he'll probably tag it regardless, and either not worry about it, or just tell em to add/replace a bar before it leaves the shop.

On my car, The NHRA Division 6 Director came to the shop, and put the tag on w/o even really looking at the car, but when its sitting in Brad Hadman's shop, he knows he doesn't have to.

Old 08-24-2003, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

On my car, The NHRA Division 6 Director came to the shop, and put the tag on w/o even really looking at the car, but when its sitting in Brad Hadman's shop, he knows he doesn't have to.
Or when he knows your car will never leave the shop, it's okay too..
Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Ouch Low blow! Its cool man, I'm gonna make you eat them words very soon....

You better just hope you can keep up w/ both of them fairdryers on high before I even turn the bopttle valve open.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:25 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a good shot of my "D" bars. You can also see how I the main hoop was put into the floor. I don't know why he gave you a hard time over that.

http://www.derty.org/382SR/cage/DSC00898.JPG

If you go up a level you'll get a page with all of the pics. I'm working on adding the rest of the cage done up soon.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Brady, my hoops is welded to the floor on 1/8 6 x 6 plates EXACTLY like yours is. I have frame connectors but the hoop wasnt welded to it.

I have the d-bars and they went to the rear subframe area of the backseat roughly in the middle of where the back seat bottom half was. We located where the rear frame attached to the unibody and welded plates and put them there.

I had no problems getting my cage certified by the NHRA guy in the Indy area.

Id say take it to someone else in your Divisional area. Sounds like this guy misinterpretted the rulebook somehow.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Tenured Member

Here's a good shot of my "D" bars. You can also see how I the main hoop was put into the floor. I don't know why he gave you a hard time over that.

http://www.derty.org/382SR/cage/DSC00898.JPG

If you go up a level you'll get a page with all of the pics. I'm working on adding the rest of the cage done up soon.
Did your "D" bars pass certification ? Mine were originally welded to the driveshaft tunnel like yours, but were failed by the inspector. They are required to be welded to the subframe, or in my case, the subframe connectors for a 7.50 certification. Here's a couple pics...
http://www.nu-tekmotorsports.com/cert_upgrade2.JPG
http://www.nu-tekmotorsports.com/cert_upgrade1.JPG
Old 08-25-2003, 09:45 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's no reason mine wouldn't pass inspection. The guy that did mine has done dozens of them and all have passed inspection here. For the most part when you mention his name to the inspector he never really checks it out. Like I said, we're going to finish the halo then take the car in for the inspection. I don't anticipate any of the crap that you guys are getting.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

Brady doesn't have the "D" bars or what I like to call them, the Kicker bars. That is why he failed. If you weld the main hoop to floor plates then the Kickers are mandatory. If his main hoop was welded to the subframes and not on floor plated I think his inspector would have passed the car.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I'm a bit confused, Brady does not have the small bars that tie into the trans tunnel and that's why he failed right?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe after looking at the pics he is talking about the rear down bars not attached to the frame. He put them on the wheel tubs. I can see the inspectors point on that.

225-343-9029
Old 08-25-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Man there is alot of **** to do. Im glad once i decide to send my car off its going to MADMAN. Im not gonna even try to thank about doing this.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Hmmm, my rear bars tie into the area right next to the holes for the seatbelt... Mike from Alston said that moving too far inboard there is no support there, and Mike supposedly is involved with the NHRA.

Quick Reply: Failed my chassis certifcation today....