Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between K&N filter versus Stock Filter...take a guess

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fw i have done back to back to back dyno pulls on my head and cam motor and my big inch motor and got the exact same results both times. stock paper filter->k and n = 1-2 hp, k and n-> no filter = 0-.5 hp. imo not worth the hassle. i just run a fram paper one every other oil change.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
again... flow bench, dyno--still ain't apples to apples up against real world

a restriction is a restriction. a filter is a restriction.

Does John Force run an air filter?

Maybe Karl needs to have a talk w/ John Force.

BTW,
alright so if i do back to back runs at the track i will let you know...

flow tests and dynos do give results and have merit dont discredit them because they dont have an E.T. attached to them...alot more variables go into racing at the track them on a controlled test...to each his own...

again i know an air filter is a restriction, i work with them everyday
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
alright so if i do back to back runs at the track i will let you know...

flow tests and dynos do give results and have merit dont discredit them because they dont have an E.T. attached to them...alot more variables go into racing at the track them on a controlled test...to each his own...

again i know an air filter is a restriction, i work with them everyday
no ,don't let me know until you do a whole bunch of runs and average the results.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

like I said I have 2-6" hoses running up to the underneath side of my airbox and it makes a marked difference in the et and mph of car. Your opinions have not changed the reality. Sorry I'll just keep on the beaten path
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
ok...that may be. not arguing that. Im just saying that i would atleast try it, wont hurt anything. some cars gain, some dont. do a search. i found the same thing when i searched.
no where did i said i wasnt going to try just not expecting 2.4mph...i would be happy with .5mph

i have tried the short belt too, there is less drag on the motor with it we all know that but the less drag is so small that there were no gains for me or another member there that day...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by butler
like I said I have 2-6" hoses running up to the underneath side of my airbox and it makes a marked difference in the et and mph of car. Your opinions have not changed the reality. Sorry I'll just keep on the beaten path
i have the same on my car so i will let you know...i would be happy with .5 mph but i am not holding my breath...

maybe instead of arguing that it is true, it might be, you might wanna ask yourself why? dirty air filter, tune off, different da conditions, why is you car different from everyone elses car...maybe it is the intake but i should see the same 2 mph, but i doubt that will happen cause my dad has a smaller version of what i have on my car and seen no gains...what i am saying is you might be able to have that lost power all the time...something is not adding up...

that is like putting on a smooth bellows and getting 10hp...hope you figure it out

Last edited by chrs1313; 09-10-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run back to back runs also with kn filter and no filter with same 60ft. and noticed very little maybe a coulpe of hundreths and maybe a little bit of mph but the filter has been getting a little dirtier since i put on a ftra so i dont think i will be taking it out anymore if the ftra sucks up everything that they say it does. And i havent tried a paper one in awhile so i think i'll try one next time for the hell of it.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dlove
ok...that may be. not arguing that. Im just saying that i would atleast try it, wont hurt anything. some cars gain, some dont. do a search. i found the same thing when i searched.
Ok wait explain your smoking fbody is that the clutch... dang
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread is hillarious. still trying to figure out why this was posted in Drag Racing Tech.

Great entertainment for another hurricane weekend w/ my trusty bottle of Crown...

"Fear... The root of all that is evil and jealous" -- My quote for the day!!!!

Last edited by tee-boy; 09-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

this thread is hillarious. still trying to figure out why this was posted in Drag Racing Tech.

Great entertainment for another hurricane weekend w/ my trusty bottle of Crown...

"Fear... The root of all that is evil and jealous" -- My quote for the day!!!!
yeah rain sucks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 PM
8 Second Club

for those not gaining anything by taking the filter out i think that would tell you that you have a restriction somewhere else. just a thought.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Based on experience, I feel pretty strong that taking off air filter will allow for better mph in the quarter mile.

However, I would suggest more frequent oil changes.

gotta pay to play!
How would it effect your oil? Your oil filter is still in place. Removing your filter just allows your engine to inhale large particles and maybe a pebble or two. Its actually good for your valves and cylinder walls.....

Quick Reply: Difference between K&N filter versus Stock Filter...take a guess