Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Ruling on Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 06:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Final Ruling on Stock Suspension

All cars running the Big Dog race at Thunder put on by Billingsley Racing and Madman &Co. Racing are as follows.

All cars must have LCAs in stock holes on body, relocation brackets are allowed as long as they are attached to factory saddle on rear end housing. Shocks and springs must be in stock mounting holes and location. Torque arms must attach to rearend housing the same as stock front mount must have only one attachment point. Rear frame rail allowed a MINITUB to clear tire. FRAME raail must be there and in stock location.

Front suspension must be a boltin style k-member with upper and lower co ntrol arms. NO AJE front ends.

All cars must have interior(2front seats, dash and carpet)
Must be a small block chevy based motor(LS1, LT1, SBC)
All cars will be weighed upon completion of all runs. Must weigh 3000lbs.
All cars must pass track and NHRA safety inspection.

Race format is as follows.

1 Qualifying pass at 5.00pm ( If you have a problem during qualifying your entry buys you a spot. You will be seeded at the bottom of the ladder but you will race.)

1st round at 5.45 pm every round after will be 45 minutes later. Cars will be called and you have 5 minutes to be headed to the lanes. If not you will not race.
All race will be a 4 tenths protree.

You will be seeded on a sportsman ladder.
1 runs 5
2 runs 6
3 runs 7
and so forth

at this time racers who have comitted are Madman, Pain, Chris Sikora, and Rick C5.
Tenatively we have George Baxter, Eastside Performance, Brady, Stealth, and possibly Jay Billingsley.

Lets go racing guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

225-343-9029
Old 09-08-2003, 08:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Final Ruling on Stock Suspension

How many torque arms can we run

(I'm not fast enough to run w/you guys...this year)
Old 09-08-2003, 11:23 PM
FormerVendor

All cars must have LCAs in stock holes on body, relocation brackets are allowed as long as they are attached to factory saddle on rear end housing. Shocks and springs must be in stock mounting holes and location.
I guess that takes us out.

You can run Thumpers on 440 cube SBC's and thats legal, but moving in a shock and LCA is illegal?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:46 AM
8 Second Club

How many torque arms can we run

(I'm not fast enough to run w/you guys...this year)

Hmm 5.90's can be competitive. You might tree somebody and win with a slower car, right Sikora It's all about the driving.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:51 AM
8 Second Club

You can run Thumpers on 440 cube SBC's and thats legal, but moving in a shock and LCA is illegal?
Yeah try to make the 1800-1900 HP that motor would put out on the stock suspension, small tire. Not happening. And don't tell me the mustangs are doing it, totally different car setup. This race will have motors ranging probably 900-1300 HP cars, the test will be who has got their suspension skills down to make them work without changing it around. I think the car that is going to win will be the one not making the most power.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All cars must have LCAs in stock holes on body, relocation brackets are allowed as long as they are attached to factory saddle on rear end housing. Shocks and springs must be in stock mounting holes and location.

Well Dave, if you can't beat them, eliminate them. Total BS! Unbelievable
Old 09-09-2003, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The object of this race was to see how fast STOCK suspended cars could go side by side. If we allow moved LCAs then why not allow 2 T/As, or strut front ends??? I cant make everyone happy so I set the rules to please the most cars.

225-343-9029
Old 09-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Resident Grump

Don't get the big dog race confused with the Thunder Shootout race. You're good to go for it.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:42 AM
FormerVendor

Mikey, we we're thinking the same thing the day we went 8.50's...I guess making the cars look nice is illegal.
Not like we're 1.20 60 footing the car!
Old 09-09-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get the big dog race confused with the Thunder Shootout race. You're good to go for it.
OK, Let me get this straight. The ARE car is legal for the Thunder Shootout but not legal for the Big Dog race that takes place at the same event. That is complete and utter BULLSHIT, give me a break

Ohhhhhhhh.......................What's that smell? Ahhhhhhhhh yes, play with the the rules to eliminate the fastest car in the country. Must be fear , can't win so ya gotta change stack the deck .

Paul
Old 09-09-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey you bunch of winers. Sack it up and either race or debate it like MEN instead of four year olds.

Got a problem with the way the rules are? madman has a phone. call him.

bunch of internet BADASSES around here I guess.

EDIT: And I dont know why anyone would make rules to CUT OUT the ARE car. Its obviously had the suspension moved around. You can tell by looking at the car in person. Id personally like to know how the tops of the shocks are attached if they are moved in. New pocket made? What about the LCA? New brackets moved in? Sure sounds like STOCK mounting points to me.

THAT is sound debate. Not whining.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

ARE's car passes True Street chassis certs up here for OSCA. That is what the car is setup to run.

Where was Madman at the last LS1TECH shootout that ARE attended?

There is a big difference between moving an LCA over to the other side of the stock bracket and running two torque arms!!

Give me a break LOL!

Unless the winner runs 8.50's or faster you aren't going to be the big dog anyways. Might want to rename your race!

Chris
Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The point I was trying to make was hey this guy has moved his LCA's and shocks. Where do you draw the line? Thats obviously quite different from stock.

Two torque arms? LOL That would be pretty radical.

What I am the most dissapointed to see is everyone crying FOUL thinking that the rules were made so that the ARE car counted out.

Instead of offering up credible debate, everyone has went on the offensive. Someone step up and make some valid points and try convincing people otherwise instead of acting like a 2nd grader.

People here are smart enough to build fast 10.5 tire cars, why cant they debate in a respectable manner as well?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If any one wants to send pics of the suspension on AREs car Jay and I will look at the suspension. If the car fits the spirit of Stock suspension rules then we will allow it. As of now we have 6 cars other than myself who have a true Stock suspension. We set the rules for these cars. I didnt see it being fair to build the rules for one car.

My email is madman69@swbell.net.

225-343-9029
Old 09-09-2003, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see the rationale for all the bitchin'

this is a "stock suspension" race. Not a "kinda looks like a stock suspension" race. wouldn't be that difficult to move the LCA back to stock location and put in some tires that'll clear. Besides...the tires on there now aren't improving 60-feet times right
Old 09-09-2003, 10:35 AM
8 Second Club

If ARE was to run there car down here in the south with the other true 10.5 cars they wouldn't be allowed to race. True 10.5 down here is very strict about moving anything from the factory location points. There are cars down here running 7's to 8.30's in the 1/4 on stock style/stock location points, anywhere from 5.1x's-5.60's in the 1/8. All on true 10.5 non W tires like ARE. So the ARE car wouldn't be competitive anyways or be legal. I dunno maybe us southerners just like to stick to the rules and not try to bend them and break them.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
8 Second Club

Also no PUN intended to ARE or crew, just the rules have to be drawn somewhere. IF it was Brian I'd be bitching more.. j/k
Old 09-09-2003, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

it doesn't matter, its a bit of crappy drive to get down there first of all...
But,
Madman, and any other chassis guys...

Now, moving in the LCA's to the inside bolt hole location keeping stock length, will that dramatically improve 60's?

Moving a shock over 2 inches and drilling a new hole in the floor, will that improve 60's?

If yes to either please explain.. I could hook the shock to the bumper and it wouldn't do anything!

If anything, the closer the shock to the tire, the better, we have moved it in! Its more stable the wider, think about it, its all bump and rebound
Old 09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

I dunno maybe us southerners just like to stick to the rules and not try to bend them and break them.
Then why was Madman bringing a SBC aftermarket block to a stock block LT1/LS1 shootout in Bowling green! Wasn't this WHOLE stock block/ stock suspension F-Body shootouts were supposed to be? We were there to race him.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Let's see if I understand: ARE's current chassis setup is not legal for either the Southern Shootout or subsequent shootouts, which would mean one of two things must happen: (1) ARE must change their setup or (2) the shootout rules must be changed. Otherwise, ARE's Z cannot race at the shootouts. It doesn't appear the ARE was planning to attend anyway, but it does seem that we're at an impasse on ARE's Z. Yes?

Quick Reply: Final Ruling on Stock Suspension