Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need spohn rear drag bar directions to preload

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Default need spohn rear drag bar directions to preload

I bought a used spohn drag bar but dont have the directions on how to properly set the preload...anyone have a link or thread...

thanks

Chris
Old 10-05-2008 | 04:58 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Spohn Performance, Inc.
494 E Lincoln Ave Myerstown, PA 17067
1-888-365-6064 www.spohn.net

Part #921 – Pro-Series Rear Anti-Roll Bar
1982-2002 GM F-Body

USE OF THIS PRODUCT IS ACCEPTANCE OF SELLER’S DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY!

By their very nature, competition components are constantly pushed to their limits. While our components are designed to withstand intense race conditions, it is impossible to control the quality of installation or the varying conditions in which they are used. It is for this reason that absolutely no warranty or guarantee is either written or implied. Neither the seller nor the manufacturer will be liable for any loss, damage, or injury – direct or indirect – arising from the use of or inability to determine the use of any product. Before using, the user should determine the suitability of the product for its intended use, and the user shall assume all responsibility in connection therewith. Spohn Performance, Inc. makes no guarantee as to the legality for any specific class. Spohn Performance, Inc. makes no claims, nor does it intend its products to be used in street driven vehicles. Spohn Performance, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in design or add to or improve on their product without incurring any obligation to install the same on product previously manufactured. The Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Spohn Performance, Inc. harmless from any claim, action or demand arising out of or incident to the Buyer’s installation or use of products purchased from Spohn Performance, Inc.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Remove your stock rear sway bar, end links, and upper end link mounts (on rear sub-frames).

2. Jack up the rear of the car and place jack stands under rear end housing. Let jack down so the weight of the car is on the rear housing. This will place the rear suspension at ride height. (Note: Place jack stands in the area of the LCA mounts so they do not interfere with sway bar installation.)

3. It’s time to prepare the sway bar for installation. Note that when orientating the sway bar, the center bend faces down. Remove the poly bushings from their shell. Using the supplied grease packs apply silicone grease liberally to the inside of both sway bar bushings. Install the poly bushings onto each end of the sway bar, and re-install the bushing shells.

4. Note: From here on out, this is a two person job as the amount of things that need to be done exceed two hands, not to mention the weight of the bar! Place a u-bolt on one end of the rear housing. Now slide a spacer saddle over the u-bolt and hold it in place. The second person can now hold the sway bar in position. Slide the bushing shell onto the u-bolt. Install the flat washers and then the lock nuts, only make hand tight at this time (start them as far as you can by hand). Now you can let this end hang down until it rests on the u-bolt. Repeat the same procedure on the other end of the sway bar.

5. Tighten all four of the u-bolt lock nuts until you have them barely snug, do not fully tighten. Now you want to make sure the sway bar is centered on the rear side to side, and front to back. Position the sway bar side to side until you have the same distance from the outside of the bar to the shock on both ends. Position the bar front to back so that the bar runs along the center line of the bottom of the axle tubes.

6. Next you want to install the upper end link mounts (plate with bolt welded to it). These bolt in place where the OEM upper end link mount was located on the sides of the rear sub-frame. Re-use the stock bolts (two per side) to mount these.

(Note: If you have a base model car that was not factory equipped with a rear sway bar, your car still has these mounts in the frame, but you will need to get the four mounting bolts. You can obtain them from a donor car, or call us, we have these GM bolts available for purchase)

7. Next you want to install the rod ended end links. We have already set them at the proper length, do not change the length. Keep the end link mounted to the sway bar as shipped. On the top mount, install the zinc coated spacer sleeve onto the bolt, then install the top rod end onto the bolt. Now you can install the lock nut and fully tighten. Fully tighten the bottom bolt where the end link is mounted to the sway bar.

8. With both end links installed and tightened, you can now fully tighten the lock nuts on the u-bolts.

9. Jack the car up and remove the jack stands, place vehicle back on the ground.

10. Now we’re going to adjust the sway bar and set it with the proper pre-load. Place the jack under the front of the car, make sure the jack is perfectly centered on the front crossmember. Jack the front of the car in the air until the front tires are BARELY off of the ground, stop there.

11. Check your rear tire pressures and make sure you have the exact same pressure in both rear tires. Set your rear tire pressure to whatever psi you run them at when racing at the track.

12. Whoever will be driving this vehicle now needs to sit in the driver’s seat of the car, shut the driver’s door. (Simulate driving the car).

13. Measure from the lower rear corner of both the driver’s and passenger’s side door jam to the ground (car should be on a level surface, ie. cement). We’re looking to have the driver’s side 1/16” lower then the passenger’s side.

14. Adjust the passenger’s side end link (by lengthening or shortening) until you achieve the above setting. Tighten the jam nuts and re-check your dimensions. Once you have the adjustment properly set, tighten all four jam nuts on both end links. Note: We recommend using removable strength Loctite on the threads to keep the jam nuts tight on a street driven car.

15. With this sway bar set up, if you were previously running an air bag in your spring, remove it. You also want to run the same rear spring rate on both sides of the car.

Important: While we have designed this kit to allow you to fully install it as a bolt in assembly, we highly recommend that you have the upper end link mounts welded to the rear sub-frames. We designed the kit to bolt in for two reasons, so you know where to properly locate the components, and so you can do the complete installation yourself, and then drive the car to a shop and just have them do the welding. We also recommend putting a small weld on the top of the u- bolts to the housing to prevent the possibility of them turning under load.

**** Enjoy your straight launches and down track stability!! ****
Old 10-05-2008 | 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

thanks bud i appreciate it
Old 10-05-2008 | 10:02 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

No problem! I had the same issue a few weeks back, so those are the directions Spohn emailed me. I had to crank the **** out of my links to get mine right, but I'm fat so I figure thats why.
Old 10-06-2008 | 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
No problem! I had the same issue a few weeks back, so those are the directions Spohn emailed me. I had to crank the **** out of my links to get mine right, but I'm fat so I figure thats why.
yeah mine wasnt bad at all...it is probably setup at about 1/8" but i figured that is close enough...**** my doors are off more than that...lol
Old 10-06-2008 | 09:01 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
yeah mine wasnt bad at all...it is probably setup at about 1/8" but i figured that is close enough...**** my doors are off more than that...lol

Yeah I laughed when I read that 1/16" thing. GM hasn't built a car that square!

Quick Reply: need spohn rear drag bar directions to preload