Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Old Valvetrain (YT Rockers) vs new PAC valvetrain dyno (w/stock rockers)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard what is more important than the overall weight of the rocker is the weight located above the pushrod and spring. Don't know how you would measure that though, maybe Jonathon would know.

Kind of like 50 extra pounds in the roof of a car is a lot worse than 50 extra pounds in the floor board of a car. Center of gravity kind of thing.

My builder wasn't too impressed with my yella terra rockers. He said the roller tip moved around too much making it succeptable to binding.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting results. Chosing the proper springs can not be over stated, you dont need the baddest spring you can find on the market for every cam out there.
The PAC 1518 offers superior control(and light weight). Here is a great read.

http://www.racingsprings.com/beehivesprings.asp
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blu1
I'll see if I can get that info today, the YT's are off and I know they have some stock rockers sitting around.

Gotcha. Honestly, I don't think there was one thing that fixed your problem. You reduced some SERIOUS weight in the valvetrain. I had a set of YT rockers and they were noticeably heavier than the stockers. Between going to a much lighter rocker and a SINGLE vs DUAL spring you lost a ****-ton of mass over the valve. I'd be interested in seeing if you just switched rockers if it cured your problem or just switched springs. Both were pretty significant changes.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said, Phil.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

what should the lifter preload be on a ls7 lifter?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice results. I personally don't recommend a YT rocker on anything other than an aftermarket casting that requires them. I've always had better luck with stock rockers on any GM casting.

I'm also like getting away with using a single spring whenever possible. Of course doubles are absolutely necessary for anything over .615 lift IMO.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Some people had issues with the stock rockers puking needle bearings. Theyw would fall into the cylinder or bend the valves or a myriad of other horrible things. The failures were not many, but I've got enough invested in my engine that I considered the after market rockers to be 'insurance' by preventing that from happening.

I have read that the stock rockers are the lightest compared to any aftermarket offering.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASST LN
Some people had issues with the stock rockers puking needle bearings. Theyw would fall into the cylinder or bend the valves or a myriad of other horrible things. The failures were not many, but I've got enough invested in my engine that I considered the after market rockers to be 'insurance' by preventing that from happening.

I have read that the stock rockers are the lightest compared to any aftermarket offering.
you can send the stockers to harland sharp to get upgraded. This is my plan for the next round of goodies.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Teching In

My issue with Harlan was the cost. If I remember correctly, it cost about the same to have Harlan upgrade the stockers as it cost to just have all new aftermarket pieces.

If I'm going to spend the money, then I want all new stuff!

Seriously, sending them to Harlan is probably one of the better ways to go but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

you can send the stockers to harland sharp to get upgraded. This is my plan for the next round of goodies.
That's good advice folks!

My issue with Harlan was the cost. If I remember correctly, it cost about the same to have Harlan upgrade the stockers as it cost to just have all new aftermarket pieces.

Seriously, sending them to Harlan is probably one of the better ways to go but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
I'll pay the same or more for less valvetrain mass, particularly over the tip, every chance I get! We've done engine dyno testing with the YT's, Harland Sharp, and HS modified stock rockers on medium/large sized camshafts and you'd be amazed to see the valvetrain control issues go away just by running the lighter stock rocker! We run HS modified stock rockers on our racecar in my sig

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Matt, I wish I had known that prior to putting my engine together!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

I have read more than one story of valvetrain issues upstairs running aftermarket rockers and the sole cure being reinstallation of the stock rocker arms.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

matt, what lifer preload should i be running on the ls7 lifter?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to be a party pooper but there was a recent thread that indicated there were some bearing issues with this swap so it "may" not be the ultimate setup either. A slick setup would be non-roller bearing.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Money wise sure it makes sense to pay the same for new stuff but we're not talkin money. Its rocker mass over the valve. Sure your getting a new product for the same cost but as far as valvetrain stability its a step backwards.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen these weird problems like that and I use YT all the time. Hmmmmmmmmm. Two guys on here spin over 7000 with them and run lower nines? These are the newer YT ultra lites though non-adjustable and aren't that heavy.

The stock rockers are great too though unless you run over a certain lift and can't fix the geometry problems. I don't use them on deals much over .600 lift very much and I don't shim the stands really but rather just get the right pushrods usually from Manton.

Of course that takes longer and a lot of people just don't want to wait.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not to be a party pooper but there was a recent thread that indicated there were some bearing issues with this swap so it "may" not be the ultimate setup either. A slick setup would be non-roller bearing.
Thread is here tho it seems they have adressed the underlying issues
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice results and spinning those XFI lobes to 7000rpm at that.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
I haven't seen these weird problems like that and I use YT all the time. Hmmmmmmmmm. Two guys on here spin over 7000 with them and run lower nines? These are the newer YT ultra lites though non-adjustable and aren't that heavy.

The stock rockers are great too though unless you run over a certain lift and can't fix the geometry problems. I don't use them on deals much over .600 lift very much and I don't shim the stands really but rather just get the right pushrods usually from Manton.

Of course that takes longer and a lot of people just don't want to wait.
I run YT Ultralights on my L92's with no dyno apparent VT instability to 6800 and .660 lift. PAC 1521 springs setup correctly helps a bunch.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by racer7088
I agree completely. With good valve springs, I've seen NO issues with many YT installs.

FWIW, The ONLY thing I've seen make a car fall off a cliff like that on a dyno is/are VALVE SPRINGS! Improper length pushrods may make noise, or have some sort of issue, but they don't cause a complete lack of valve train control at a certain RPM.

BTW, the dip at 4000 will still be there even if you straighten the A/F out there.

Quick Reply: Old Valvetrain (YT Rockers) vs new PAC valvetrain dyno (w/stock rockers)