Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynoed the Z06 today...... Not Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I never made any claims that the vrx4 would make more power. Because it won't. What it will do is work in union very well with my 58.xx cc afr 205 heads. The removal of stock ls6 heads and the g5x3 cam and adding the vrx4 cam and my milled afr 205's should get him to 460 rwhp from his 425 current rwhp all the while adding a bunch more torque due to better under the curve cam and more compression from the milled heads.

Just wanted to clarify. The vrx4 cam is going to give up power all day long to the g5x3, but the milled afr 205's will crush the stock ls6 heads. So he gains by better lowend tq, and higher overall power from the head swaps. Not to mention better drivability.
Yep...but what about 58/58cc AFRs with his current cam? He will have to flycut the pistons, I think, but it will make a ton more power than the vrx4 cam. I was pissed when I saw 433/402 with my cam and mamofied ported fast 90/90, but my car was street tuned then put on the dyno just to see what numbers I had...my car was a rocket even with only 433/402. Im sure the OPs car is a rocket too, just hard to not play the dyno game. Remember, its very easy to make a dyno spit out high numbers, its hard to lay down good track times, or see how u stack up against people on the street
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got ya. However per our conversations Travis is trying avoid flycutting and wants a lot more lowend tq. Also wants better drivability. Hence the suggestion for a cam swap to kill multiple birds with one stone. BTW I'll be getting him a discount on the cam FTW (as much as I can)
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Travis,

If you do decide to swap cams and looking for something different, I could give you my grind specs. I'm sure it would work well with the AFR's allngn is selling.

I'm using Cartek 4X heads milled to 59cc, and I did flycut although not much. I Pm'd you about that before. You have seen my graph and the Tq, and the car drives totally like stock. As we discussed before, if I didn't have the Borla, you could probably not even tell that I had any work done to the car.

Last edited by rmtt; 05-13-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

The bump in compression should help with the low in tq for sure as Doug has already said.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I kinda wish now that I had gone with a stock Z06 and been able to do my own combo. Now I'm stuck fixing someone else's F up. I'm not sure I can afford Doug's heads but i'm going to try. For the record Doug hasn't one time tried to "talk" me into buying his heads.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by golfinz
Well if you want dyno numbers, swap the vararam with a callaway intake and I bet you will pick up a few hp. I say keep the cam, as its proven (and I am confident a vrx4 will NOT make higher numbers than u have already), and get a good set of heads and call it a day. Do you have injectors? Also do some yella terras if you do heads. Look at the tune as you *should* be over 430rwhp with that cam and a ported FAST.
I'm not shooting for 500 rwhp out of this setup, all I want is for the car to make the power that we all know it is capable of doing. I do have 36# flowmatched injectors. I'm going to have some work done on the tune and see were that gets me. I know that 500 is a tall order on motor. After I swap heads I would be tickled to death with 480-485 rwhp.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Doug does not have to talk anyone into buying his heads, they can sell them self if the price is right.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vols Fan
Yeah I kinda wish now that I had gone with a stock Z06 and been able to do my own combo. Now I'm stuck fixing someone else's F up. I'm not sure I can afford Doug's heads but i'm going to try. For the record Doug hasn't one time tried to "talk" me into buying his heads.
Thanks Travis. I am glad that you could tell all I was doing was offering you info and giving you advice based on the mistakes / successes I've had.

Anyways it looks like it may not even be an issue. Another member will probably beat you to the punch, and as I said before the first person to put a deposit with Ron @ Vengeace gets the heads.

I'll let the member identify himself if he chooses.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28boy
Doug does not have to talk anyone into buying his heads, they can sell them self if the price is right.
Got a guy that wants them at the as advertised price. Shipping included with re usable arp head bolts.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To the original post-

Your #'s look good to me for the mods.Some people have freak cars and some have freak dyno's.Probly 95% of people that do the same package as you make the same hp/tq #'s.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
To the original post-

Your #'s look good to me for the mods.Some people have freak cars and some have freak dyno's.Probly 95% of people that do the same package as you make the same hp/tq #'s.
Thanks for providing Travis with some qualified incite Don.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Got a guy that wants them at the as advertised price. Shipping included with re usable arp head bolts.
Someone's getting a nice deal! They should have LG port them while ther are there...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

well as the person who sold this car I was curious to see what it did as I personally never had it on a dynojet. I wasnt going to make any comments about anything until this last post about fixing someone else's screw ups. Where to start. First off there was absolutely nothing screwed up about the setup you bought because the car ran hard as hell! Next off I think you need to get your head out of the clouds trying to reach for this magical 500rwhp cause personally WHO CARES about dyno numbers, they dont mean ****. How to judge a car is at the track and on the street and that car consistantly outran modded gt 500s that ran 11.3s and ran neck and neck with a KB Cobra making 600rwhp till 4th gear on the highway. Also you never ever did a baseline pull as you bought the car to see where it stood as is. Did you help it did you hurt it or what by changing manifolds and injectors? Guess what you dont know cause you didnt do a baseline.HMM! Next I strongly suspect there is a big tuning issue as the curves dont look very smooth. You made 425/385 out of a cam only setup with STOCK LS6 HEADS. There is heads/cam setups that make that all the time and you wanna bitch about oh it didnt make this number or that. Who gives a **** what it makes cause how many e.ts do you ever see any of these dyno queen cars post up. Hardly never!! As for all this other bullshit about low end torque and changing of cams blah blah blah who gives a **** about that cause when your racing how often are you at low rpms... just at the tree and red light, thats about it. Get your head outta the clouds reaching for dyno numbders because they dont mean ****, that car ran hard as hell and got a lot of respect here. Good luck in your quest for dyno numbers. Enough said!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Well hello to you to Brian. You are right I never put it on a dyno because the day I was suppose to go it rained. Now on to your point about dyno queens and all this stuff about numbers don't matter. I will continue to chase big numbers on the dyno due to the fact that I don't give a damn about running on a prepared track. To all you guys out there that like that sort of thing more power to you, I'm just one less guy that you don't have to wait in line behind. I couldn't even tell you what a good 60' time would be. I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment but its my car now and if I want to chase dyno numbers instead of e.t's then thats my business. I guess that my choice of phrases was a little off because Brian is right the car isn't "fu*cked up" it just doesn't seen like its the right combo for me. I will be having the tune checked by another tuner, in the next couple of days, just to see if someone with more experince can see something that we don't.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
WHO CARES about dyno numbers, they dont mean ****.

Get your head outta the clouds reaching for dyno numbders because they dont mean ****,
If dyno numbers don't mean ****, why are they in your sig?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Dang Jeff I didn't know you were on this board too. Give me a call tomorrow whenever you get a chance.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Restricted User

You have a set of the best heads money can buy on your car already. Just remove them and have a little valve work done and watch the dyno #'s jump. You could also have them ported for even better gains. Those heads and a nice custom grind will deff put you in the upper 400 hp range.

And just because the springs only have 8k miles on them doesn't mean they're not giving up already. Just took a set of the very same springs off a set of heads with only 288 miles and about half of them had sag'ed already. Something is deff. not happy in the upper part of your dyno graph.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
FormerVendor

Wow.... Interesting read

Couple of points....

#s seem a BIT low for the mods.... Torque is definately low for my taste. We typically see 420rwhp cam only in C5 Z06s with "big cams"..... FAST should be good for a minimum of 15rwhp....

WOT tuning can be done by a blind monkey if he can adjust air fuel/timing and check for knock.... Wouldnt put too much money into the tuning aspect of things chasing dyno #s... Drivability/fuel economy etc etc are an entirely different story.

VRX4 WILL produce more power till 4500 than the G5X3... It might give up a few above 4500, but it would be well worth it for the gains under the curve which is where the OP seems to want his power....

VRX4/AFRs/FAST should be worth 460/420 with EXELLENT power under the curve AND drivability...

Dyno #s dont mean ****??? I wouldnt say thats entirely true... You can look at the CURVES of three different combos that make the same PEAK #s and tell which car will more than likely be quicker/faster.... Not EVERYONE goes to the track nor is their car set up for it...

If we can help you out, give us a call. Im confident we can put something together to suit YOU PERSONALLY.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Someone's getting a nice deal! They should have LG port them while ther are there...
LG is not part of this next project. They were more interested in $$$ then results.

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
well as the person who sold this car I was curious to see what it did as I personally never had it on a dynojet. I wasnt going to make any comments about anything until this last post about fixing someone else's screw ups. Where to start. First off there was absolutely nothing screwed up about the setup you bought because the car ran hard as hell! Next off I think you need to get your head out of the clouds trying to reach for this magical 500rwhp cause personally WHO CARES about dyno numbers, they dont mean ****. How to judge a car is at the track and on the street and that car consistantly outran modded gt 500s that ran 11.3s and ran neck and neck with a KB Cobra making 600rwhp till 4th gear on the highway. Also you never ever did a baseline pull as you bought the car to see where it stood as is. Did you help it did you hurt it or what by changing manifolds and injectors? Guess what you dont know cause you didnt do a baseline.HMM! Next I strongly suspect there is a big tuning issue as the curves dont look very smooth. You made 425/385 out of a cam only setup with STOCK LS6 HEADS. There is heads/cam setups that make that all the time and you wanna bitch about oh it didnt make this number or that. Who gives a **** what it makes cause how many e.ts do you ever see any of these dyno queen cars post up. Hardly never!! As for all this other bullshit about low end torque and changing of cams blah blah blah who gives a **** about that cause when your racing how often are you at low rpms... just at the tree and red light, thats about it. Get your head outta the clouds reaching for dyno numbders because they dont mean ****, that car ran hard as hell and got a lot of respect here. Good luck in your quest for dyno numbers. Enough said!!

Damn well said brother. However I do have a few comments as I feel you have misinterpereted Travis' motivation for modding this car. I have had long conversations with Travis about mods and dyno numbers etc etc. I was purely motivatated to advise him the way I did because I wanted to spare another member the disappointment I went thru chasing the expensive and elusive 500 rwhp stock bottom end 346. My h/c FRC in 2006 with g5x3,afr 205 59cc, FAST 78, lg pros (no cats), b&b cat back, ewp, asp ud pully, twin plate exedy, carbon fiber drive shaft, dte stg III, VaraRam CAI, ported tb, .040 cometics, flycutt pistons, 11.4 ish to 1 compression and a good tune put down 457 rwhp 417 rwtq !! Now with that being said I was disappointed about coming up with less then my conversations with LGM Techs led me to believe the car would do. Hence my 2007 visit where we added a ported 90, ported 90 fast, G6X3 cam aka g5x3vII, and ported c5z MAF. New numbers were 490 rwhp 445 rwtq. I'll post my best run with that old setup. 12.02 w/ a spinning 2.11 at 123.6 mph in decent air, not great, but not bad. I will say this, she didn't trap what was expected but she did bury the speedo on several oppurtunities racing bikes on the top end. Back when my car was cam only (g5x3) with lg pros, vram cai, bullets, and fast 78, she made 400 rwhp 380 rwtq. Again disappointed because those that had come previous to me had made 410, 415 etc etc. Same setups, same shop, same tuner. I feel I am qualified (thur experiences) to make the following comments. I used the same cam twice in my modding history, never hit the magic numbers with it that others had, but came close.
So with that being said I tried to inject Travis with a dose of reality and explain that he should rethink his goals. Do you want a car that is a higher rpm beast and less then spectacular on the bottom end, or do you want to add some quality heads and a cam that will work with them and improve the overall performance of your car (longer spring life due to a less explosive cam, better manners on the street, and more power under the curve where people that just drive their cars spend most of the time anyways <idle to 3800> since he wasn't going to track the car) ???? That is why I suggested the vrx4 cam and my heads. Not because the g5x3 is bad, because it isn't, it's actually a proven performer, however not ideal for what Travis and I talked about on the phone because it wouldn't fit my 58.x cc heads without flycutting his pistons. More power under the curve, and an improvement in the overall hp curve from bottom to top even though he was giving up some by swapping cams, he would outperform the ls6 heads with my milled afr 205's enough to offset the loss of peak hp from the cam swap, and inturn receive a more balanced, well mannered DD'r. SORRY LONG POST

Originally Posted by Vols Fan
Well hello to you to Brian. You are right I never put it on a dyno because the day I was suppose to go it rained. Now on to your point about dyno queens and all this stuff about numbers don't matter. I will continue to chase big numbers on the dyno due to the fact that I don't give a damn about running on a prepared track. To all you guys out there that like that sort of thing more power to you, I'm just one less guy that you don't have to wait in line behind. I couldn't even tell you what a good 60' time would be. I'm sorry if I offended you with my comment but its my car now and if I want to chase dyno numbers instead of e.t's then thats my business. I guess that my choice of phrases was a little off because Brian is right the car isn't "fu*cked up" it just doesn't seen like its the right combo for me. I will be having the tune checked by another tuner, in the next couple of days, just to see if someone with more experince can see something that we don't.

Travis, your a good guy. I can tell that from our talks on the phone about modding and results with my car over the years. Anyways did you dyno your car after the changes on the same dyno as the seller ?? Reason I say this is that even though all dynos can spit out SAE Corrected numbers they ALL vary. I believe Brian when he says the car ran awesome and beat many a 500+ rwhp cobras. Per our conversations I hope you follow my advice or just leave it cam only and fix the little nuisances with the tune to max out what she's got. Do all the maintenance before you redyno (plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter etc) so you know exactly where you stand. One last thing about the g5x3 cam and the dips in the graph. Take a look at the lg website. Virtually all of the graphs show very similar dips then explosive launches up in power? Not sure why but the previous results are consistently shown in others graphs from other people. Just food for thought.

Again sorry for the long post. Its just very hard to explain sometimes without getting into a long post.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ron you beat me to the punch brother.