Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I'm confused. Is this a warning to Jason 98 TA or a statement about other's posts?

Jon
The Other One
Cmon bro. Damian is the moderator, and you know he's got to do his job. He's simply letting TSP know that he's doing his job for them. You know the sponsors pay the bills and are the reason this site exists. Got to show a little respect when a company that pays to advertise there products. We are all welcome to trash, question etc etc but it must be done in PM. Hell I almost got banned for going after a sponsor the wrong way.

If I got it twisted Damian, then feel free to correct my comments.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I want to appologize to everyone reading this or any other of the dyno threads. ***** has for some reason made it his personal goal in life to talk trash & discredit vendors in hopes of one day selling a product himself.

To answer the question yes I'm perfectly happy with the testing on the 224 camshaft, and yes I'd do it again for a 10hp gain.

It's easy to act like you know exactly what something will do, but it's a entirely different thing when you can actually do the testing & help customers select a camshaft based off ACTUAL SIDE BY SIDE TESTING.
Jason, I'm only in two of your threads, which are actually the same just in different places. There's no life goal to discredit you or any vendor/sponsor here or anywhere else. I do happen to post in a thread here or there like this one. I'm not the only one that had questions or thoughts about this dyno test. I guess I'm just the one that spoke the loudest.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Cmon bro. Damian is the moderator, and you know he's got to do his job. He's simply letting TSP know that he's doing his job for them. You know the sponsors pay the bills and are the reason this site exists. Got to show a little respect when a company that pays to advertise there products. We are all welcome to trash, question etc etc but it must be done in PM. Hell I almost got banned for going after a sponsor the wrong way.

If I got it twisted Damian, then feel free to correct my comments.
I understand it better now that you 'splained it to me: Damian, the moderator, is effectively paid by TSP to keep folks from disagreeing with, or making unkind comments about TSP and anything they say or do on this forum. No wonder ***** gets the handcuffs on and Br** gets banned.

I was naive enough to believe this quote might be considered harassment of *****:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
"***** has for some reason made it his personal goal in life to talk trash & discredit vendors in hopes of one day selling a product himself."
Silly me.

"If I got it twisted Damian, then feel free to correct my comments." My take is that allngn has the inside track of what goes on vis a vis sponsors and the SITE.

BTW, I am not your 'bro'. You can call me Jon, Old SStroker, Old SS, Sh*t head or Sir, but drop the 'bro'.

Jon
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon,

You sir, are a dumbass. ***** isn't adding anything technical to the thread. He's simply coming on here to bust TSP's ***** with his own opinions, stir up ****, and it's not necessary. You guys (you, your son, and your whole crew) are the biggest bunch of drama queens I have ever seen in my life. Thats why you were all banned here for a while, you couldn't keep the sand out of your vaginas long enough to make an intelligent post. You can't hang around here for more than 1 month without creating drama.

I'm paid by TSP? LMFAO. Try again old man. I'm not defending TSP. I'm telling ***** to quit acting like a dick. Plain and simple. I'd do it for any other shop posting this kind of info. I have no ties with TSP.

I'm assuming your avatar is a pathetic attempt to display your age or that you're a weathered man. Well if that's the case, act like it. And if you guys are such geniuses like you make yourselfs out to be on your own forum, then why not come over here and post for the world to see? Please post your magical combos that are so much better than everybody elses. Enlighten us on your infinite wisdom you all possess on "hardcore".
Old 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree!! Guys please tone it down. If you do not have anything thats going to help improve the forum just browse..

Originally Posted by Damian
Jon,

You sir, are a dumbass. ***** isn't adding anything technical to the thread. He's simply coming on here to bust TSP's ***** with his own opinions, stir up ****, and it's not necessary. You guys (you, your son, and your whole crew) are the biggest bunch of drama queens I have ever seen in my life. Thats why you were all banned here for a while, you couldn't keep the sand out of your vaginas long enough to make an intelligent post. You can't hang around here for more than 1 month without creating drama.

I'm paid by TSP? LMFAO. Try again old man. I'm not defending TSP. I'm telling ***** to quit acting like a dick. Plain and simple. I'd do it for any other shop posting this kind of info. I have no ties with TSP.

I'm assuming your avatar is a pathetic attempt to display your age or that you're a weathered man. Well if that's the case, act like it. And if you guys are such geniuses like you make yourselfs out to be on your own forum, then why not come over here and post for the world to see? Please post your magical combos that are so much better than everybody elses. Enlighten us on your infinite wisdom you all possess on "hardcore".
Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
I understand it better now that you 'splained it to me: Damian, the moderator, is effectively paid by TSP to keep folks from disagreeing with, or making unkind comments about TSP and anything they say or do on this forum. No wonder ***** gets the handcuffs on and Br** gets banned.

I was naive enough to believe this quote might be considered harassment of *****:

Silly me.

"If I got it twisted Damian, then feel free to correct my comments." My take is that allngn has the inside track of what goes on vis a vis sponsors and the SITE.

BTW, I am not your 'bro'. You can call me Jon, Old SStroker, Old SS, Sh*t head or Sir, but drop the 'bro'.

Jon
Well Sir Jon sh*t head,(you said call you that) you finally said something right. I do have the inside track on what goes on with sponsors. However my situation has been corrected and made perfect with the help of some friends besides its not about me. Its about taking a sponsors post for what it is. If you don't like what they say, then don't read, if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy. No justifcation for bad mouthing a sponsor unless you have direct negative experience to share. I had to learn the hard way that you don't do it here in the open forum, but if you must talk trash, or tell the truth about one of the sponsors then you have to do it in the sponsor feedback section. Put your negative comments in the sponsor feedback section and the mods will leave you be. They make the rules, so play by there rules and you are safe. Continue pissing off Damian and I predict a long vacation.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Youre mean Damian!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Damian, please sir, tell me how to get paid by TSP to be a moderator. I've been doing it for free these last 8-9 years. Hell, I'll even take a T-shirt at this point.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Damian, please sir, tell me how to get paid by TSP to be a moderator. I've been doing it for free these last 8-9 years. Hell, I'll even take a T-shirt at this point.
I hear ya bro. I wish I really got "FREE" stuff like everyone said. I pay for my parts just like everyone else.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Hi there. Admin here and I stand behind every word Damian said . And I don't work for TSP either.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

strong mod/admin presence. ***** gonna get real

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Well Sir Jon sh*t head,(you said call you that) you finally said something right. I do have the inside track on what goes on with sponsors. However my situation has been corrected and made perfect with the help of some friends besides its not about me. Its about taking a sponsors post for what it is. If you don't like what they say, then don't read, if you don't like what they are selling then don't buy. No justifcation for bad mouthing a sponsor unless you have direct negative experience to share. I had to learn the hard way that you don't do it here in the open forum, but if you must talk trash, or tell the truth about one of the sponsors then you have to do it in the sponsor feedback section. Put your negative comments in the sponsor feedback section and the mods will leave you be. They make the rules, so play by there rules and you are safe. Continue pissing off Damian and I predict a long vacation.

Safe don't feed the bulldog. If the mods feel my little posts are worth ragging me about...so be it. I doubt they give them a second thought.

I suppose you always play exactly by the rules when you race in a sanctioned organization, don't you? Ever get beat? Rules are suggestions, as S. Yunick suggested.

I did get the info I wanted about Josh. No surprises....none.

FWIW, I don't think you ever learned it. Look up naivety on Google. Is that your picture?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ LOL ^^

Been beat a few times. Usually when I bite off more then I can chew. Kind of like you trying to take on a sponsor. Words of wisdom, leave it alone and post in SPONSOR FEEDBACK if you feel the need to trash talk the sponsors. Remember the sponsors pay the needed cash to the owners of ls1tech to keep it up and running so that you have some place to post/troll. Have a nice night.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:34 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey SStroker, we're still all anxiously awaiting some displays of your (and the rest of your crew) infinite knowledge. Please do post up your magical setups that are far superior to everyone elses!

Just don't forget to tighten those pesky oil pump bolts
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So again we go from tech to Blablablah......

While this test shouldn't be construed as who has the best 224 Cam, it shows that there is a minimal effect to changing lobes, lifts, LSA etc...

The variance margin between those cams is very small in rwhp on a cam only setup, BUT as mods go on, those minute variances become a bit more pronounced.

Basicaly dynoing same duration cams will all net similar results as seen, it is good learning knowledge for enthusiasts to see and understand what are the effects of making small changes in a cam.
TSP should be thanked for showing the crowd exactly that (something most shops would not waste their $$ on)

To the Mods:
Could we perhaps spend 5 min cleaning this thread so it is just informative? I'm sure you could reduce it by 50%. (being conservative )
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dyno data needs to be analyzed to determine why something works better or it doesn't. Comparing the cams in test 95 and 59 is the most interesting part in the whole test. Max hp is virtually identical and at the same rpm, while test 95 shows a noticeable torque advantage especially in the 2800-4300 rpm range.

There may be a number of reasons for that. Figuring out what is going on in the engine allows one to make additional changes which might show more improvements. Unfortunately the engine is a multi-dimensional system, so it makes it difficult for one to figure out. That is sort of like some ladies I have encountered.

The same thing applies to the midrange "torque hole" or rather the mini torque peaks. Figuring out why they happen with these cams may allow one to fill the hole or bump up the peaks.

Folks have differing opinions on why this stuff occurs. Some of these opinions are more correct than others. Unfortunately the engine does not care a whit what we think. It does what it does by "obeying" the laws of physics. Those who figure out what the engine wants often produce better results. If that gives them a competitive advantage, they may be reluctant to give away that information.

I have opinions on what is happening, but rather than share them here, I encourage everyone involved to start thinking, reading and studying to form their own opinions and then test them on the dyno. That is the difference between giving a man a fish and teaching him to fish.

It is also the best reason to have an engine dyno, IMO.

OK, so this may be only a marginally technical post because no magic numbers are quoted. There are no magic numbers. Engines don't run on magic. Engines are some of the best examples of applied physics that we use every day.

Analyze the data, guys, and try to explain it. It does the old brain good to exercise it.

Jon
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Hey don't get mad at Jon. He admits that he is "old"... you know, "nothing left but opinions"
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Hey don't get mad at Jon. He admits that he is "old"... you know, "nothing left but opinions"

LOL

Fortunately memory wasn't the first thing to go...damn!

"With Age comes Wisdom...sometimes Age shows up alone." ...Anon.

Jon
Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I mentioned this on another forum where the same thread was started. What would be interesting to me is to see the same cam with other variables altered such as pushrod diameter, lifter preload, spring stiffness and perhaps doubles vs. beehive. These are decisions in the setup process from which some empirical data would be useful. Of course I realize this is a lot of work for TSP to accomplish, but its a nice wish list.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I mentioned this on another forum where the same thread was started. What would be interesting to me is to see the same cam with other variables altered such as pushrod diameter, lifter preload, spring stiffness and perhaps doubles vs. beehive. These are decisions in the setup process from which some empirical data would be useful. Of course I realize this is a lot of work for TSP to accomplish, but its a nice wish list.
All good points and worth the time and money to test. They're on the list

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!