Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are no accessories on engine dynos(nothing for them to do!).
Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we just found out that several 224 cams perform like 224 cams. A couple degrees on the LSA doesn't really make one 224 cam differant from the other 224 cam.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Looks like we just found out that several 224 cams perform like 224 cams. A couple degrees on the LSA doesn't really make one 224 cam differant from the other 224 cam.
please explain the graphs look different to me...looks like 10-15rwhp gain up top
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by chrs1313
please explain the graphs look different to me...looks like 10-15rwhp gain up top
From about 5700 to 6500 there's about 10 hp differance. Is that really much at all?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From about 5700 to 6500 there's about 10 hp differance. Is that really much at all?
well, yeah it is. the 3rd to 4th gear shift in my car has a split of 6800 (where I shift) to 4700. I'm looking for the most power under the curve in this area with good idle characteristics. For one thing, it's pretty apparent that anyone with stock cubes better be real careful not to go too big in duration and run the power peak off the right hand side of the curve into valve float and rpm limiters

To my knowledge, this is the most amount of actual testing done on cams. Little nuances between a degree here and a degree there really take shows the reality of the LS on the dyno versus the "truth" spoken by people that live and die by their copies of Dynomation.

I'm not sure why you're dissing on Texas speed, but it looks like you have an ax to grind.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by briannutter
well, yeah it is. the 3rd to 4th gear shift in my car has a split of 6800 (where I shift) to 4700. I'm looking for the most power under the curve in this area with good idle characteristics. For one thing, it's pretty apparent that anyone with stock cubes better be real careful not to go too big in duration and run the power peak off the right hand side of the curve into valve float and rpm limiters

To my knowledge, this is the most amount of actual testing done on cams. Little nuances between a degree here and a degree there really take shows the reality of the LS on the dyno versus the "truth" spoken by people that live and die by their copies of Dynomation.

I'm not sure why you're dissing on Texas speed, but it looks like you have an ax to grind.
No ax to grind, a 224 cam is a 224 cam
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'll take one 224 cam vs another if it makes an extra 10hp/ftlbs every time! At that point, one 224 cam is NOT the same as another and the graphs prove that! Are they so close that the average driver won't know the difference when they're driving them? Likely yes. But when you get a little better price from us, and a dyno graph that shows EXACTLY what a certain combo can make instead of speculation then why buy the 224 cam anywhere else? That's our goal, is to be able to give our customers firm empirical data about their combo so they can buy confidently! We have a copy of dynomation too, and can tell you the differences between its numbers and the real world now

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Acutally ***** I think customers appreciate us taking the time to test different camshafts configurations at different duration areas. Sure it only looks like 10 hp tops to you, but what we've done to me is offer our customer better average power from just about every useable rpm.

Our goal from this is very simple. We want to create camshafts that make better overall power across the useable rpm band. If going through 10 camshafts to rework each camshaft is what it costs to make overall better average power, then I'm willing to eat that expense everytime....
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But the TR224 cam is .563 lift or so and yours is .60x would that account for the extra higher end rpm hp in yours?

Also, I posted the 3 LS1 cam comparo done by HotRod with Compcams. Their 224 was quite similar to this graph but without the dip in midrange. Even the stock cam did not have the dip in torque.

Thanks for the work but I think some folks would trade some Post 6300rpm Hp for a solid 20ft lbs of torque and no dip. Do you have a cam like that? And with about -10degrees of overlap at .050
Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Felix C
But the TR224 cam is .563 lift or so and yours is .60x would that account for the extra higher end rpm hp in yours?

Also, I posted the 3 LS1 cam comparo done by HotRod with Compcams. Their 224 was quite similar to this graph but without the dip in midrange. Even the stock cam did not have the dip in torque.

Thanks for the work but I think some folks would trade some Post 6300rpm Hp for a solid 20ft lbs of torque and no dip. Do you have a cam like that? And with about -10degrees of overlap at .050
Ours is .588" lift. And yes, the different lobes do account for the difference in HP and TQ.

The dip is due to something in the intake and/or exhaust trac that we haven't huted down yet, not the camshafts (every cam tested has it with the current intake and exhaust). Could be something as simple as collector length or taper, intake runner length and shape, etc. We'll be making some changes to find that issue and get rid of it, but for now it is not a variable in the testing and not a real concern.

To get -10º of overlap @.050" with a 224/224 you'd have to put it out on a 117LSA. Definitely doable, but not the norm by any means. I've never seen or heard of -4º of overlap failing an sniffer test even in California when the vehicle is equipped with CARB legal exhaust components (-4º is with a 114LSA).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Acutally ***** I think customers appreciate us taking the time to test different camshafts configurations at different duration areas. Sure it only looks like 10 hp tops to you, but what we've done to me is offer our customer better average power from just about every useable rpm.
Well next time test cams that are differant, not ten that are the same. Like I said in one of your dyno advertising threads "at least you tested one with some split".

Our goal from this is very simple. We want to create camshafts that make better overall power across the useable rpm band. If going through 10 camshafts to rework each camshaft is what it costs to make overall better average power, then I'm willing to eat that expense everytime....
It's good to see that you've decided to do cams that aren't so bad on drive train parts and are actually decent to drive.

And I guess it's good to know that you have the money to test so many cams that are vitually the same. You should invest some of that in someone that actually knows how to spec a cam. Would be much cheaper that way, but then I guess it would be harder to pimp your new dyno.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well next time test cams that are differant, not ten that are the same. Like I said in one of your dyno advertising threads "at least you tested one with some split".

It's good to see that you've decided to do cams that aren't so bad on drive train parts and are actually decent to drive.

And I guess it's good to know that you have the money to test so many cams that are vitually the same. You should invest some of that in someone that actually knows how to spec a cam. Would be much cheaper that way, but then I guess it would be harder to pimp your new dyno.
I got a great idea, lets bash a company that uses their resources to conduct tests that helps out the LS1 community and then shares their newly found knowledge.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you so dense that you can't see what they are doing here? They are testing that many versions of the cam back to back to find the best power everywhere. I am sure they will do the exact same thing for differently specced cams so they can once again offer the best cam available at that spec. You are not providing any kind of technical feedback whatsoever, just trashing another thread.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KingSS
Are you so dense that you can't see what they are doing here? They are testing that many versions of the cam back to back to find the best power everywhere. I am sure they will do the exact same thing for differently specced cams so they can once again offer the best cam available at that spec. You are not providing any kind of technical feedback whatsoever, just trashing another thread.
Yeah I guess I am that dense.

Or either I can see threw the advertising BS and see that changing a cam no more than they did severals times is no big deal. Did it change the cam anywhere in the actual range you drive the car, no, not really. Isn't that what they claimed to be doing? Yeah they showed a few HP above 5700 rpm. But if that's where you were planing to run all the time you would get a bigger cam that makes power in that rpm range.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by zigroid
I got a great idea, lets bash a company that uses their resources to conduct tests that helps out the LS1 community and then shares their newly found knowledge.
I've got an even better idea, you explain what results from this test is going to do anything for the LSX community. Did they just reinvent the 224/224 cam? Nope, they sure didn't.

Have you ever bought a Sham-Wow?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

While sometimes I find you humorous in your ball kicking you give some of these guys, but you're acting like a total dick in this thread. Find something else better to do than harrass a shop that's spent several thousands of $$$ on an engine dyno for R&D work. If you don't agree with the cam grinds they chose to work with, or their reasoning behind the post, then PM them and let them know about it.

You've made your point, don't post in this thread again or I'll just start deleting your replies.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Great info here. Thank you Texas Speed.

Just wondering could the lack of Backpressure in the exhaust have something to do with the Dip in power?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I want to appologize to everyone reading this or any other of the dyno threads. ***** has for some reason made it his personal goal in life to talk trash & discredit vendors in hopes of one day selling a product himself.

To answer the question yes I'm perfectly happy with the testing on the 224 camshaft, and yes I'd do it again for a 10hp gain.

It's easy to act like you know exactly what something will do, but it's a entirely different thing when you can actually do the testing & help customers select a camshaft based off ACTUAL SIDE BY SIDE TESTING.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Jason, I will clean out any more harassing that goes on in the thread.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
Jason, I will clean out any more harassing that goes on in the thread.
I'm confused. Is this a warning to Jason 98 TA or a statement about other's posts?

Jon
The Other One

Quick Reply: Not All 224 Camshafts Are Equal... Engine Dyno Data INSIDE!!