Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Cartek 4-XS Heads and Cam results inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the car will run like a raped ape, it did before and im sure it will only go much faster....Bust out a 9 and shut these ********* up
Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice results!!! Im laughing at everyone with the oh no 7700 rpm comments though.

Im sure it will be fine. I have been turning 7200 for a while, last time out I tried 7400 but I did not pick up any, so i backed it back down. (stock bottom end, 67,000 miles aside from arp's) There are quite a few 7500+ rpm guys on just rodbolted bottom ends....
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
I know the car will run like a raped ape, it did before and im sure it will only go much faster....Bust out a 9 and shut these ********* up
Thank you sir, and busting out a 9second pass is the plan lol

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Nice results!!! Im laughing at everyone with the oh no 7700 rpm comments though.

Im sure it will be fine. I have been turning 7200 for a while, last time out I tried 7400 but I did not pick up any, so i backed it back down. (stock bottom end, 67,000 miles aside from arp's) There are quite a few 7500+ rpm guys on just rodbolted bottom ends....
Exactly. There are plenty out there who have done it. Now I know I should not jump off the bridge if others do it, but those who have jumped have gone fast.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a graph of the old setup that you could post for us?

Also, what is your race weight?

I look forward to seeing some vids of your car in action with the new set up, congrats and good luck with 9's.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You are probably laughing because you do not fully understand the setup or yours for that matter. If you did you would recognise that the oiling system in a LS1 is simply not designed for that kind of output and motors like that will have reduced life.
If that was not true, why would GM go with a dry sump system on their vettes?
There is more to racing than just putting your foot down at the track and doing the victory dance while slapping on your chest

Guys again, awsome setup, but why doesn't someone just detail it correctly:

Took 10 posts just to extract that shortlock has rod bolts and pistons are notched, meaning high compression.

It would be so simple:

Induction:.......
Intake:........
Heads: .........
Block:...........
Exhaust:.......
Bolt ons:........
Tranny: .......
Gear: .......
Tires: ........
Race Weight: .......

and here are the results folks: .........
Purpose of car: ..........

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 09-21-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

years ago...back in 92-93 at the motorsport nationals there was a guy named gene deputy from texas turbo...he had alot of fast cars. one of his customers cars was a 9 second single turbo 5.0 factory block, rods, crank. i remember asking the owner..how long does the engine last? he said we get one ford fun weekend out of it before it lets go....have fun cleaning up the pieces...just like pissing in the wind but its your money spend it how you want to....
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You are probably laughing because you do not fully understand the setup or yours for that matter. If you did you would recognise that the oiling system in a LS1 is simply not designed for that kind of output and motors like that will have reduced life.
There is more to racing than just putting your foot down at the track and doing the victory dance while slapping on your chest

Took 10 posts just to extract that shortlock has rod bolts and pistons are notched, meaning high compression.

It would be so simple:

I agree 100% why all the deceit/pulling teeth? to this day I will not get over how companies have "proprietary cams"

I'm not buying something if I don't know the specs....what is the PTV w/ the heads? what head gaskets are they running?

at least give us a 24x/25x

SCR/DCR?

Chad
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

It would be so simple:

Obviously you dont KNOW all the answers either as it HAS been done by quite a few for a LONG time....... My next setup will be very similar to his fwiw, and im sure YOU will not understand whats going into it, and yes its going to have ti valves.... I did a budget setup just to see what it would do, not tobe my end all setup. But i'll tell you I wont build a 370 or spray it just to see 10's...

I was pretty sure the dry sump was introduced on the z06 for high g's in road racing, but perhaps not. Either way LS1's have gone well over 7500 rpm for YEARS....this is definately not a first.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
I agree 100% why all the deceit/pulling teeth? to this day I will not get over how companies have "proprietary cams"

I'm not buying something if I don't know the specs....what is the PTV w/ the heads? what head gaskets are they running?

at least give us a 24x/25x

SCR/DCR?

Chad
If someone is building the car FOR you, why should you need ptv? they are doing the work, if it fails its their responsibility. I can understand not wanting to share, because thats how people win races, or stay in the lead.

I didnt see any deceit, there was another guy who WAS deceitfull with a fast combo, he lied blatently about his setup, what I see here is just people not wanting to share a good setup for free... Which is fine when its a money making game, why should they tell you so you can do it yourself and not go through them? That would be dumb, and bad business practices for them.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM
CARTEK Racing

PredetorZ, dude, you are oblivious...

People have known that I have ARP Rod Bolts for 5+ years! Hell, I think it was written in GM High Tech. Just because you don't know, does not mean other's did not. I did not see the need to post something that was talked about years and years ago.

Everyone knows by exhaust, I have answered questions on it as well, many times. Dude, go on you tube, the video tells you every mod I have. And my raceweight is also public on this forum.

Once again, the pistons have been notched since 2002!!!!!!!! I did not know this was anything new? Once again, just because you don't know, does not mean others do not. My car has been known about well enough on LS1Tech, posting answers to your questions is just redundant especially when there is a search function.

As far as PTV, Gaskets used and so on... how the **** should I know? I am not an engine builder. CARTEK built it, if you care so much, call them up. Why should they tell you how they did it? Like BADD SS said, its about making money. They are a business, why should the give it up for free?

Do you really want me to list every mod that is already publicly known on LS1Tech and has been for years?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
I will sell you my soul if you can get my car to make that kind of power.
dude did you really say that to you r sgm bc that is the funniest thing i heard in a long time
Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 AM
12 Second Club

If someone is building the car FOR you, why should you need ptv? they are doing the work, if it fails its their responsibility. I can understand not wanting to share, because thats how people win races, or stay in the lead.

I didnt see any deceit, there was another guy who WAS deceitfull with a fast combo, he lied blatently about his setup, what I see here is just people not wanting to share a good setup for free... Which is fine when its a money making game, why should they tell you so you can do it yourself and not go through them? That would be dumb, and bad business practices for them.
why? because I don't take every single person's "word" on what it is, and if I'm spending that kind of money I'd want to know what the PTV clearance is, what gaskets im running, what cam im running (tuning...) I guess there are plenty of people who just plop the money down and don't care.... or better yet what if I want to buy the exact same package, but not having cartek "build" it for me....kind of important to know.

and WS6Transam01 not everyone is familiar with your setup since 2001...he was asking a damn question about race weight, we don't know if you have rod bolts, sorry for not being so familiar with YOUR car.

what are they giving up for free? do they not supply a cam card when you purchase the package? if not how do you tune it not knowing any of the specs, intake closing angle, etc.

lets see what it does at the track. and its a known fact that the ls1 oiling system isn't the best at those RPM's and you WILL see additional wear/ premature failure.

Chad
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
CARTEK Racing

why? because I don't take every single person's "word" on what it is, and if I'm spending that kind of money I'd want to know what the PTV clearance is, what gaskets im running, what cam im running (tuning...) I guess there are plenty of people who just plop the money down and don't care.... or better yet what if I want to buy the exact same package, but not having cartek "build" it for me....kind of important to know.

and WS6Transam01 not everyone is familiar with your setup since 2001...he was asking a damn question about race weight, we don't know if you have rod bolts, sorry for not being so familiar with YOUR car.

what are they giving up for free? do they not supply a cam card when you purchase the package? if not how do you tune it not knowing any of the specs, intake closing angle, etc.

lets see what it does at the track. and its a known fact that the ls1 oiling system isn't the best at those RPM's and you WILL see additional wear/ premature failure.

Chad

The answer to your question if very simple. Sure I can not expect you to know my car, and perhaps I took the fact that quite a few people do for granted. That is my fault. But I have stated that I have ARP Rod bolts that were intalled in the car in 2004 or 2005. Can't remember exactly.

As far as tuning, the answer is simple. Julio [CARTEK] specs out the cam, and he himself tunes the car. Therefore knowing the specs of the cam for me is irrelevant because the same person who designs the setup, tunes it. This is not a this guy does this, that guys does that and yet a third guy tunes it type of deal. CARTEK is one stop shopping. I bring my car there, they work on the heads, they assemble the motor, theyput the car together, they put to on the dyno, they tune it, and if he has time Julio does with me and other customers to the track to fine tune his work. This is why I would never go anywhere else.

I may know the cam specs, then again, I may not, you decide. But if I do, Why would I make it public? Julio spend his time deciding on the cam for my car, why should CARTEK make that spec public?

I never made the specs on my 4X cam public, even when the setup went 10.32. Its not my place to do so. Even when I sell it [soon] I can not give out the spec. You are more than welcome to call CARTEK and ask them for the spec, but I doubt you will get it, and that's how it should be. If CARTEK was to simply give me the parts and send me on my mary way, then I agree with you. I should be told of the package details in order to be able to put it together correctly and tune it right. However, they do all the work, so there is no need for that. I have no problems with companies like LG keeping their specs secret on their G5x whatever cam. They did the due diligence, the deserve the monitary rewards. If Steve Jobs told everyone exactly how to make the iPod do you think Apple would be where they are today? Nope, why should this be any different.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
The answer to your question if very simple. Sure I can not expect you to know my car, and perhaps I took the fact that quite a few people do for granted. That is my fault. But I have stated that I have ARP Rod bolts that were intalled in the car in 2004 or 2005. Can't remember exactly.

As far as tuning, the answer is simple. Julio [CARTEK] specs out the cam, and he himself tunes the car. Therefore knowing the specs of the cam for me is irrelevant because the same person who designs the setup, tunes it. This is not a this guy does this, that guys does that and yet a third guy tunes it type of deal. CARTEK is one stop shopping. I bring my car there, they work on the heads, they assemble the motor, theyput the car together, they put to on the dyno, they tune it, and if he has time Julio does with me and other customers to the track to fine tune his work. This is why I would never go anywhere else.

I may know the cam specs, then again, I may not, you decide. But if I do, Why would I make it public? Julio spend his time deciding on the cam for my car, why should CARTEK make that spec public?

I never made the specs on my 4X cam public, even when the setup went 10.32. Its not my place to do so. Even when I sell it [soon] I can not give out the spec. You are more than welcome to call CARTEK and ask them for the spec, but I doubt you will get it, and that's how it should be. If CARTEK was to simply give me the parts and send me on my mary way, then I agree with you. I should be told of the package details in order to be able to put it together correctly and tune it right. However, they do all the work, so there is no need for that. I have no problems with companies like LG keeping their specs secret on their G5x whatever cam. They did the due diligence, the deserve the monitary rewards. If Steve Jobs told everyone exactly how to make the iPod do you think Apple would be where they are today? Nope, why should this be any different.

So cartek does no business outside of the in house shop then? that's pretty **** poor.

so say I want the EXACT setup on your car...I'm not driving to new jersey to have them do it....

good luck selling a cam w/o the specs...again people NEED to know that stuff for PTV, etc.

I guess we just disagree. but I would like an answer if I wanted this exact setup, can I buy it and install it myself? or is that not allowed...

Chad
Old 09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
CARTEK Racing

So cartek does no business outside of the in house shop then? that's pretty **** poor.
They do quite a bit of buisiness outside the shop, but this was an R/D project. Now that the results are in, its up to them to decide how best to sell it.

so say I want the EXACT setup on your car...I'm not driving to new jersey to have them do it....

good luck selling a cam w/o the specs...again people NEED to know that stuff for PTV, etc.
Understandable... but then again, if you want to install it, you would buy it, ie. give them money. I am sure they would then tell you whan you need to know.

I guess we just disagree. but I would like an answer if I wanted this exact setup, can I buy it and install it myself? or is that not allowed...

Chad
That is not for me to speculate upon. I amsure when they have a chance someone from CARTEK can express their position on the topic.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Why cant people just give Cartek a pat on the back for a strong combo, and leave it at that.

Im sure anyone who is genuinely interested could contact Cartek and they would hook you up.

These guys have been in the game for a long time, and im sure all parties involved understand the pros and cons here.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys and Gals.

Cartek did their thing and the owner seems pleased. Time will tell who is right as far as the longevity and wisdom of that high of a Rpm setup. While it is probably not that way I would have gone, lets see how it runs a year or two from now.

As far as cam specs remaining proprietary, I always think that with time anyone can figure out a lobe profile and lift. There has not been some magic breakthrough in cam technology. They all fall within a certain limit as far as ramp rate, etc.

While an opinion can be an emotional topic, I never like threads that start to become personal. Can we respectfully keep it tech?

We all just want to learn.

Thanks for listening.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

Chad
NO cam Card is given. They tell you next to nothing. I dont like it either but
they usually tell you that up front. some dont mind, some walk away
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
Guys and Gals.

Cartek did their thing and the owner seems pleased. Time will tell who is right as far as the longevity and wisdom of that high of a Rpm setup. While it is probably not that way I would have gone, lets see how it runs a year or two from now.

As far as cam specs remaining proprietary, I always think that with time anyone can figure out a lobe profile and lift. There has not been some magic breakthrough in cam technology. They all fall within a certain limit as far as ramp rate, etc.

While an opinion can be an emotional topic, I never like threads that start to become personal. Can we respectfully keep it tech?

We all just want to learn.

Thanks for listening.

..WeathermanShawn..
Shawn, I don't see where it got personal...there was no name calling I just said I disagree.

and I agree with you there is only so much you can do to the cam its nothing new....

Originally Posted by Braciole
NO cam Card is given. They tell you next to nothing. I dont like it either but
they usually tell you that up front. some dont mind, some walk away
deal breaker for me for sure, to bad. I've always been impresssed with the cartek setups.

Chad
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shawn, I don't see where it got personal...there was no name calling I just said I disagree.

and I agree with you there is only so much you can do to the cam its nothing new.... Chad
Not directing it you personally. You definitely have a right to disagree. While sometimes it is 'fun' to get some heated debate, just trying to keep the focus on the tech.

All is well, just personal preference. It is a pretty good discussion. Not many push the Rpm boundary so high. I am also interested how a setup like this will do with time.

I am just not convinced there is that 'magic' cam yet. If there is, I would like to learn about it also.

Thanks.

..WeathermanShawn..

Quick Reply: Cartek 4-XS Heads and Cam results inside.