Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

528HP 491TQ.... BUT have you ever seen a graph like this!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it just fall on it's face but still sound good or does it break up, surge, buck?

If it sounds good but isn't making power to the wheels then it's likely the transmission or converter eating your power.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The fact the springs are used add even more fuel to the fire regarding potential valve float issues...especially if say a couple are really bad for some reason.

But honestly, the drop in power is so severe, it would be the worst case of valvefloat I think I have ever seen so its really just another option or should I say just another potential fix/solution of your problem (but high on the list IMO).

-Tony
Tony what springs would you suggest for my setup? I may just get new spings when get the cash saved after the tranny...
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Does it just fall on it's face but still sound good or does it break up, surge, buck?

If it sounds good but isn't making power to the wheels then it's likely the transmission or converter eating your power.
it doesn fall on its face so to say its sounds good no break up, surge of bucking.... it just pulls like a **** till 5500-5600 then stops pulling as hard like i lose 100hp....

to be honest i didn't realize it was that bad till i dynoed it.... I did notice the rpms climbed alot slower afer 5600 but didn't realize it was that bad.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
it doesn fall on its face so to say its sounds good no break up, surge of bucking.... it just pulls like a **** till 5500-5600 then stops pulling as hard like i lose 100hp....

to be honest i didn't realize it was that bad till i dynoed it.... I did notice the rpms climbed alot slower afer 5600 but didn't realize it was that bad.
Does it fall off at the same RPM regardless of the gear or does it only happen at the top of 3rd?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Restricted User

I only notice it at the top or 3rd it goes through 1st and 2nd pretty fast!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Restricted User

I only notice it at the top or 3rd it goes through 1st and 2nd pretty fast!
I would think that if it was doing it in 2nd, you should feel it drop that much. Smell the transfluid. Sounds like trans/converter to me.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I would think that if it was doing it in 2nd, you should feel it drop that much. Smell the transfluid. Sounds like trans/converter to me.
the trans fluid looks/smells fine.... It shifts fine under normally driving... but i think it may be slipping at WOT, that why i stopped driving it....

I am selling the converter and trans... and am in the process of buying the th400... I planned on getting a th400 anyway.

I though about keeping the trans for a mustang build because i think its fine it just cant hold the power at wot... but I need the money so im selling it.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like there is possibly a restriction somewhere? Valve float usually looks like a rev limiter, not saying that you don't need some better valvetrain parts though. I would look through the turbo system for a restriction somewhere, is this an STS kit? Maybe even check the air filter etc. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Restricted User

the trans fluid looks/smells fine.... It shifts fine under normally driving... but i think it may be slipping at WOT, that why i stopped driving it....

I am selling the converter and trans... and am in the process of buying the th400... I planned on getting a th400 anyway.

I though about keeping the trans for a mustang build because i think its fine it just cant hold the power at wot... but I need the money so im selling it.
If you haven't chosen a converter yet, I highly recommend FTI (they are a sponsor now). I been hooking good for a couple years on his converter. He's switched it around for me a couple times for different setups that I have run (N/A, Nitrous, and now FI). Super quick turn around on restalls also.

Try not to change anything else so that you can be sure that you have isolated the problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
Looks like there is possibly a restriction somewhere? Valve float usually looks like a rev limiter, not saying that you don't need some better valvetrain parts though. I would look through the turbo system for a restriction somewhere, is this an STS kit? Maybe even check the air filter etc. Just my 2 cents.
Its my Homemade Front Mount Kit:

Exhaust side: truck Manifolds -> 2.5" merge pipe -> turbo -> 3" downpipe dumped by starter

Charge Side: K&N 7" long 5" wide cone filter -> turbo-> 3" pipe-> 3" intercooler-> 3" pipe-> Stock Ported TB

I will try taking the filter off and see how it does when i get the th400 in... you never know i guess.

Hey guys I really appreciate the help and suggestions!!!! I am really willing to try anything and will try everything. Its more than likely something really simple!!! LMAO...

Things to try:
Th400
Check valvetrain / try new springs
Check for restrictions in charge/exhaust side
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Restricted User

th400 will be in tomorrow...

I was looking at parish8 dyno and his pulls to 6300-6400, I think he used an 01 ls6 cam...

It isn't my cam thats causing the issue is it? I have an 02 ls6 cam... I think it would actually be better than the 01, but maybee there is something i dont understand...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Does this thread look familiar?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-opinion.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rev-issue.html

I have not changed my cam yet. Done a bunch more work to ensure no back pressure in fact since I have done more work I now can get 20 psi in 3rd and 4th gear but as soon as I hit 5000 rpm the car is done.

Kane
Old 11-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Restricted User

its crazy i hope we figure it out... i hope mine is the transmission.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Restricted User

TH400 is installed... have to get a Driveshaft now...

was just reading a thread on some other site where they were talking about oil pressure and preload:

even with the smallest amount of preload, with high oil pressure, and especially higher RPM where the lifter is getting filled quicker, it has a tendency to overcome some of the spring pressure and leave the valves open

IDK seems interesting... im am running a 10/30 conventional oil right now and oil pressure is like 60+ at 3000 rpm up... im gonna switch to mobile 1 synthetic oil and a lighter weight and see if it will help... also waiting on a pushrod length checker.

If my preload is not right then it can be causing some valve float also...

Alot of experienced people say its valve float. So im gonna try some things and if it doesn't help ill buy some springs.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ holy **** you figured out your signature!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Restricted User

You like that!!!

ya i left it over night and it was there the next day, i never had a porblem with the sig befor lol.... i wasnt do anything wrong the damn thing just wouldn't take it right away lol...

i was getting so pissed! lmao
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Restricted User

update?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have your wastegate vented to atmosphere? I'm still having the same problem you are and it wasn't the valve springs. I did vent my wastegate to atmosphere and it leveled my graph out quite a bit. I spoke to ForcedInductions and they are saying it is a back pressure problem with my setup which is why changing the wastegate helped a little. Your problem looks identical to mine. If you look at your graph compared to your log you will notice that you fall off right when you hit full boost and your wastegate opens. That is exactly what mine is doing so I'm going to try a 1.15 exhaust housing to lower some of the back pressure. I will let you know if it works at all. In Parish's dyno you can see the backpressure spike once he got above 5500 which might be both of our problems.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Restricted User

ok guys here is an update.... got the th400 installed, the spohn tq arm, shifter ect....

ds is a little short....but not so short i cant drive it just short enough that i dont want to launch hard on it at the track next year...

the car seems to pull alot harder now....

4l60E 45-100mph 5.953 seconds
th400 45-100mph 4.563 seconds

not bad thats a 1.39 second difference on a 45-100mph run!!!

I did a 0-100mph pull with the th400 and it did it in 7.363 on the street! So i figure i should be able to hit my goal of 10.5 at the track next spring!!!!!!!!!!

i think the problem was the tranny... but no way to tell till i get to the dyno again. I havent had a chance to run the car up past 5500 in 3rd yet so its hard to tell if the problem was the tranny or not.

I can say the th400 was an AWESOME upgrade and i have NO regrets.... o ya the Transbrake rocks to!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
Do you have your wastegate vented to atmosphere? I'm still having the same problem you are and it wasn't the valve springs. I did vent my wastegate to atmosphere and it leveled my graph out quite a bit. I spoke to ForcedInductions and they are saying it is a back pressure problem with my setup which is why changing the wastegate helped a little. Your problem looks identical to mine. If you look at your graph compared to your log you will notice that you fall off right when you hit full boost and your wastegate opens. That is exactly what mine is doing so I'm going to try a 1.15 exhaust housing to lower some of the back pressure. I will let you know if it works at all. In Parish's dyno you can see the backpressure spike once he got above 5500 which might be both of our problems.
My wastegate has about a 1ft pipe on it vented toward the back of the car....

My downpipe dumps by the starter and is 3" and is around 3ft long... it could be backpressure... i might do a log with the downpipe on and a log with the downpipe off and see if there is a change. It cant hurt.

Im not sure if my problem is fixed yet... if not the th400 made one hell of a diference! lol

ya let me know how it turns out! Im really broke right now and dont really have the $$$ to try anthing else for a while.

Quick Reply: 528HP 491TQ.... BUT have you ever seen a graph like this!?!