Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

402 with itb's headed for the engine dyno-updated 700.1hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
i guess i lied about it then
sorry at 4:43am some things get missed...didn't even see you say it lol.

Chad
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
tell us about your engine?

Dyno numbers?

i dont have final numbers on my car yet since it's a back burner project. however it's a 383 with a 24x/25x @.50 106lsa cam, lingenfelter heads, 11.5:1SCR and the harromp intake of course. so far with just basic tuning and very little timing (maybe a little over 10 deg) and it made 400hp at 5krpm. it's on e-85 too so once we get it ready for WOT pulls we're going to crank it up and spin it to 7krpm if not more. it's really up to the tuner because my theory is spin it till the curve starts going down.

heres some pics of my set up and some for referance for you guys to see what you're working with as far as space.

then the rough cut after. it really frees up a ton of room. but i also dont have the facility to make a nice air box either
Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i dont have final numbers on my car yet since it's a back burner project. however it's a 383 with a 24x/25x @.50 106lsa cam, lingenfelter heads, 11.5:1SCR and the harromp intake of course. so far with just basic tuning and very little timing (maybe a little over 10 deg) and it made 400hp at 5krpm. it's on e-85 too so once we get it ready for WOT pulls we're going to crank it up and spin it to 7krpm if not more. it's really up to the tuner because my theory is spin it till the curve starts going down.

heres some pics of my set up and some for referance for you guys to see what you're working with as far as space.

then the rough cut after. it really frees up a ton of room. but i also dont have the facility to make a nice air box either

Lookin' good Ron!

Shawn, excited for them results sir!

Do either of you feel that getting rid of the "trays" that the trumpets are welded to will affect anything?
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont. as long as the lip is still there it shouldnt be any diffrent than any other ITB that has the stacks seperated. i did it because it makes everything easier like removing the stack to replace injectors, coils packs, adjusting valvetrain, etc.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont. as long as the lip is still there it shouldnt be any diffrent than any other ITB that has the stacks seperated. i did it because it makes everything easier like removing the stack to replace injectors, coils packs, adjusting valvetrain, etc.
Looks like a pretty good rough cut. How are you going to attach a airbox to it now? I would certainly guarantee without the proper airbox its not going to make as much power as it could. Even though its a different setup, I tested running just an open throttlebody (without air tube/box attached) and I lost 16rwhp. I'm betting its going to be a similar deal with yours, leave a little bit of power on the table without the proper setup. I would think relocating the coils and building an airbox for both sides with a bridge to the middle would be a good idea for an airbox.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

subscribing. very interested in the updates.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

Forget the intake, those valve covers are PIMP!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haans249
Looks like a pretty good rough cut. How are you going to attach a airbox to it now? I would certainly guarantee without the proper airbox its not going to make as much power as it could. Even though its a different setup, I tested running just an open throttlebody (without air tube/box attached) and I lost 16rwhp. I'm betting its going to be a similar deal with yours, leave a little bit of power on the table without the proper setup. I would think relocating the coils and building an airbox for both sides with a bridge to the middle would be a good idea for an airbox.
i found a guy that makes a screen type filter system for it. it just snugly attaches it's self to the end. just from the baseline tuning with and with out the screen filters theres little to no differance in performance. maybe during WOT but we havnt got to that point yet.

the filter i'm using is very similer to this one
Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

i found a guy that makes a screen type filter system for it. it just snugly attaches it's self to the end. just from the baseline tuning with and with out the screen filters theres little to no differance in performance. maybe during WOT but we havnt got to that point yet.

the filter i'm using is very similer to this one
Thats what I'm saying, without the proper airbox the air won't pick up good velocity before it enters the stacks. You won't notice a difference between those filters attached vs not. If you were to have a nice air box with a large volume of filtered air available to those ITB's then the velocity of the air entereing the stacks would increase. If I remember correctly, I've also seen a thread somewhere where someone lost a good amount of power on those Harrop intakes because they took the airbox they had for it off. Needless to say, after their test, they put the airboxes back on.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I look forward to seeing results out of this one.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Haans249
Thats what I'm saying, without the proper airbox the air won't pick up good velocity before it enters the stacks. You won't notice a difference between those filters attached vs not. If you were to have a nice air box with a large volume of filtered air available to those ITB's then the velocity of the air entereing the stacks would increase. If I remember correctly, I've also seen a thread somewhere where someone lost a good amount of power on those Harrop intakes because they took the airbox they had for it off. Needless to say, after their test, they put the airboxes back on.
the airbox that came with the harrop intake flat out sucks. i dont see any reason on why you would want to add a plenum on a ITB setup other than it's easier to do a filter system. especially in a f-body where room is very very limited. if someone had a way to do it and make it work thats cool. me on the other hand want no part in that because it's just to much **** to deal with when i already dont have room with out a air box. the only way that intake will get a air box is if it turned into a twin turbo motor like that 69 camaro at sema last year motiv8or or whatever it's called.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

the airbox that came with the harrop intake flat out sucks. i dont see any reason on why you would want to add a plenum on a ITB setup other than it's easier to do a filter system. especially in a f-body where room is very very limited. if someone had a way to do it and make it work thats cool. me on the other hand want no part in that because it's just to much **** to deal with when i already dont have room with out a air box. the only way that intake will get a air box is if it turned into a twin turbo motor like that 69 camaro at sema last year motiv8or or whatever it's called.
I understand where you're coming from, just pointing out an area that people have found cuts down a little bit on power. If you don't have the facility to make an airbox, **** it. But its best to have an airbox, thats all i'm saying.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
i guess i lied about it then

Damn liars.........

Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could relocate the coils and build a long plenum for each side that sits on top of the valve covers just like the Viper engine intake has, then narrowed to a filter that can also fit into our air lids.

Sounds easier said then done, I know...but that would be the cats *** for F-Body intakes.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmilz28
yes, hence the thread title...
lol...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd like to see how these guys do it. when i saw it, it just made more sense to have separate velocity stacks when it came to room and working on the car. i have zero clue how to put that intake on or take it off the car with out dropping the motor. plus we'll have to agree to disagree because i dont see how making a plenum for a itb intake is going to be any better than separate filters.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Teching In

sweeeet, love the way those TBs glow
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

i'd like to see how these guys do it. when i saw it, it just made more sense to have separate velocity stacks when it came to room and working on the car. i have zero clue how to put that intake on or take it off the car with out dropping the motor. plus we'll have to agree to disagree because i dont see how making a plenum for a itb intake is going to be any better than separate filters.
Well a dyno sheet will tell you. But I have no idea where the sheet I saw is located. If it really didn't matter, do you think Harrop would have just made the intake without a plenum? That should be the first clue.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have used screens like that on individual TB engines on the dyno and have lost as much as 60hp. They do not work well like a proper air box or no filter at all.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hellbents10
We have used screens like that on individual TB engines on the dyno and have lost as much as 60hp. They do not work well like a proper air box or no filter at all.
Always good to hear directly from persons having experience with a product...

Christian

Quick Reply: 402 with itb's headed for the engine dyno-updated 700.1hp