Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

HR 2009 Cadillac CTS-V Pulley Swap/Tune/Headers x 2!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Thanks, Zach. How much difference in boost between the 2? I am getting ready to have mine modded and 1 of the things that I am planning on having done is the ceramic coated Kooks back to the factory muffs, and planning on running the factory muffs for the present.
The car with headers made a little over 10lbs and the one without made about 11.3lbs or so. We were converting the readings off of the MAP sensor. If you need any help with yours or are needing any parts, be sure to give us a call!

Thanks!

Zach
Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will do, Zach, appreciate all of the help / advice / counsel that I can get. Due to the fact that I am in sunny Republik of Kalifornia I am having mine done by D3, but if I was anywhere in your area, I would probably have you guys do mine. Great job of documentation & pictures.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

People get so caught in #'s of boost. Like the OP said boost is a measure of restriction. If the parts are not as well free flowing you will have more back preasure. Change parts and the #'s of boost might go down but you can make more power. The air just gets in more freely.

Think of it like this. You have a 1" pipe with 20lbs of preasure/boost in it and flows 300 cfm. You have a 4" pipe with 10lbs of boost that flows 350 cfm. The 4" pipe is moving more air and will make more power even though its less boost.

Now if you dont change anything on the setup and up the boost you will make more power. Take that same 4" pipe and up the boost from 10lbs to 15lbs. The cfm is being raised and that is why you make more power. Cfm measures the air going not boost. The more air in, the more power you make.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver408z
People get so caught in #'s of boost. Like the OP said boost is a measure of restriction. If the parts are not as well free flowing you will have more back preasure. Change parts and the #'s of boost might go down but you can make more power. The air just gets in more freely.

Think of it like this. You have a 1" pipe with 20lbs of preasure/boost in it and flows 300 cfm. You have a 4" pipe with 10lbs of boost that flows 350 cfm. The 4" pipe is moving more air and will make more power even though its less boost.

Now if you dont change anything on the setup and up the boost you will make more power. Take that same 4" pipe and up the boost from 10lbs to 15lbs. The cfm is being raised and that is why you make more power. Cfm measures the air going not boost. The more air in, the more power you make.
Hopefully you were not referring to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver408z
This is what I was trying to explain to Darrell with the c6 and lpe installed/tuned Maggie. He said they told him that headers would be bad for his setup, yeah right. I can't see a lingenfelter shop turning down the chance to make a killing on the sale and install of a set of headers.

I told Darrell to order the headers and we'd put them on in the garage no problem, but he's not buying it. Whining that he'll need a retune etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
nice
Thanks man!

Zach
Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Will do, Zach, appreciate all of the help / advice / counsel that I can get. Due to the fact that I am in sunny Republik of Kalifornia I am having mine done by D3, but if I was anywhere in your area, I would probably have you guys do mine. Great job of documentation & pictures.

Thanks man, we appreciate it!

Zach
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
That was exactly my first thought, just like the 03-04 Cobras. I liked the one without headers better myself. It was nice and quiet until you hit the go pedal
do these cars have the dual mode exhaust? like the vettes have
Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 180ls1
do these cars have the dual mode exhaust? like the vettes have
No, they do not.

Zach
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Teching In

If you guys have an opening for a QC/Test driver let me know!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 99APSSS
If you guys have an opening for a QC/Test driver let me know!
Haha, will do man! I think your about 8th in line.

Zach
Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice gains and nice rides.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks Toby.

Zach
Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

So essentially at this HP# the headers and exhaust made 10hp and 2ftlb more for 2K+ in full exhaust. Strange how boosted vehicles act. Guess thats why turbo cars run cast manifolds and make the power they do. Along with that you would have to run a smaller pulley to make the same boost which hopefully would make more power. Just have to hope the blower doesn't start to run out of air. Can only imagine what a turbo swap would do at the same boost.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
This is what I was trying to explain to Darrell with the c6 and lpe installed/tuned Maggie. He said they told him that headers would be bad for his setup, yeah right. I can't see a lingenfelter shop turning down the chance to make a killing on the sale and install of a set of headers.

I told Darrell to order the headers and we'd put them on in the garage no problem, but he's not buying it. Whining that he'll need a retune etc.

Tell your buddy he needs to do some reading on how a blower actually makes power. It's all about volume, not pressure.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by zstripper2k
So essentially at this HP# the headers and exhaust made 10hp and 2ftlb more for 2K+ in full exhaust. Strange how boosted vehicles act. Guess thats why turbo cars run cast manifolds and make the power they do. Along with that you would have to run a smaller pulley to make the same boost which hopefully would make more power. Just have to hope the blower doesn't start to run out of air. Can only imagine what a turbo swap would do at the same boost.

Don't necessarly pay attention to peak numbers here. Check under the curve torque and power with the headers. Pretty useful gain there for a car weighing that much

Zach
Old 06-08-2014, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

think there any gains to be had by porting the stock manifolds ?

get some performance without the noise ?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 180ls1
i dont see these cars getting much gains from headers, just like the 03-04 cobras. Time will tell but that is my guess that it will only make as much power as that supercharger can push.
I never knew this, but now I know!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 260B4U
think there any gains to be had by porting the stock manifolds ?

get some performance without the noise ?
Maybe a few, but probably not worth the effort. We have had a lot of customers do headers/cats, but leave the factory catback on the cars. This helps keep them quiet while still offering a gain in horsepower.

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
I never knew this, but now I know!
They all respond differently to mods of course, but we recommend headers when doing pulley upgrades due to the fact we have saw a few of the factory converters come apart over time causing issues.

Zach

Quick Reply: HR 2009 Cadillac CTS-V Pulley Swap/Tune/Headers x 2!