Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

HR 2009 Cadillac CTS-V Pulley Swap/Tune/Headers x 2!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR 2009 Cadillac CTS-V Pulley Swap/Tune/Headers x 2!

Within the last 2 weeks we have worked on 2 different 2009 A6 CTS-V's. These cars are a definately a sweet setup. Both of these cars came to us completely bone stock. The first one we installed a Lingenfelter pulley swap with their intake tube which still uses the stock air box. We installed a K&N filter at the same time. The car dynoed 466 rwhp 463 rwtq bone stock. Here are the results from this car, along with a few build pictures:

Completed after install and engine covers reinstalled.

On the dyno for tuning.

Supercharger pulley pinned. Lingenfelter wanted us to just brad over the end of the hole so the pin could not come out. We decided to make it look a bit nicer, so we drilled and tapped the pulley so that we could install a small set screw.

After install, before engine covers.

All completed, ready to go!

The second one that we did included the same mods above, but with the addition of Kooks full exhaust. This car was similar to the first as far as stock numbers goes. It started with 460 rwhp and 461 rwtq.

With the addition of the Longtubes and full exhaust, this car made about 1.5 pounds less boost than the other.

Here are a few pictures of its install along with a dyno graph:

Top of supercharger removed for Snout Pulley install.

Front snout removed.

Front snout removed from blower, before pulley swap.

This is where the rattle comes from on these new V's. The spring in the supercharger shaft coupler wears into the shaft. This one has worn pretty good. We replaced the sprung coupler with a solid one from Lingenfelter.

Kooks Tips look great!

Headers installed!

Kooks Rear section.

Here is a quick video while we were tuning on the dyno just for sound of the Kooks exhaust!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HeintzRa.../5/RJr1o_euQPg

Thanks for checking it out!

Zach

Last edited by JHR Performance; 03-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

80rwhp from those mods is ridiculous!! I want one!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
80rwhp from those mods is ridiculous!! I want one!
Haha, me too! I tried to talk one of them into lending it to me for a while

Zach
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Teching In

That CTSV drove nice.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

badass results.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Man, one of my favorite cars, and right at the top of my list for best daily driver!

Impressive numbers!

Question, you say: 'With the addition of the Longtubes and full exhaust, this car made about 1.5 pounds less boost than the other.' I'm not experienced with FI, but is the lower boost due to the increased scavaging from the combustion champer due to the headers? If so, wouldn't the supercharger STILL produce the same amount of boost, regardless of the exhaust? Please educate me. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Man, one of my favorite cars, and right at the top of my list for best daily driver!

Impressive numbers!

Question, you say: 'With the addition of the Longtubes and full exhaust, this car made about 1.5 pounds less boost than the other.' I'm not experienced with FI, but is the lower boost due to the increased scavaging from the combustion champer due to the headers? If so, wouldn't the supercharger STILL produce the same amount of boost, regardless of the exhaust? Please educate me. Thanks!
With the addition of the headers, there is less back pressure in the exhaust system, therefore causing boost to decrease. Boost is a measure of restriction, and with the headers, there is less restriction.

For example, we recently finished a GTO with a F1A Procharger. After completion of the car, he decided that he wanted to switch his AFR 225s for a set of TEA/TFS 235s. Just because the heads were more free flowing, we lost about 3 lbs of boost even with the same pulley setup. We made the same power with the 235s at 14psi as we did with the AFR's at 17psi.

Zach
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work...

I love the new CTSV make an awesome DD..
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see these cars getting much gains from headers, just like the 03-04 cobras. Time will tell but that is my guess that it will only make as much power as that supercharger can push.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by 180ls1
i dont see these cars getting much gains from headers, just like the 03-04 cobras. Time will tell but that is my guess that it will only make as much power as that supercharger can push.
That was exactly my first thought, just like the 03-04 Cobras. I liked the one without headers better myself. It was nice and quiet until you hit the go pedal
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
With the addition of the headers, there is less back pressure in the exhaust system, therefore causing boost to decrease. Boost is a measure of restriction, and with the headers, there is less restriction.

For example, we recently finished a GTO with a F1A Procharger. After completion of the car, he decided that he wanted to switch his AFR 225s for a set of TEA/TFS 235s. Just because the heads were more free flowing, we lost about 3 lbs of boost even with the same pulley setup. We made the same power with the 235s at 14psi as we did with the AFR's at 17psi.

Zach
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Heintz Racing
That was exactly my first thought, just like the 03-04 Cobras. I liked the one without headers better myself. It was nice and quiet until you hit the go pedal
And then you can say 'I beat you even with factory exhaust' too!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice gains. I think I'd rather go with the headers and use a different pully to recoup the lost boost from free flowing exhaust.

I certainly hope to run into one of these Caddies. Might be interesting?

Just wondering if you could overlay the two graphs to illustrate the differences better. Boosted motor same pully, headers vs stock
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Doug,

This what you are wanting to see? This is the compare of stock vs pulley and headers. I messed up...it only made 456 instead of 460...

Zach
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

I think he was asking for the pulley only car over lapped with the pulley/headers car.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM

I think he was asking for the pulley only car over lapped with the pulley/headers car.
Here ya go!

Zach
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 you got it.

I was having a disagreement with my c6 owner friend. He's got an 07 with an LPE Maggie setup. He claims he'll lose power due to lower boost. I contend that the header gain will be enough to offset the boost loss, and he can always change pullys to get that loss back and be even further ahead.

I also wanted to see the power difference at each rpm, purely for educational purposes. I wouldn't be hunting any CTS V's or anything in the near future

EDIT

Thanks for the overlay. Looks like the V with headers might be able to hang, but then again they are so heavy. I raced a V last year from about 100-??? I didn't let off until I saw the shift light in 5th LOL. He was so far back it wasn't even funny. Also he wouldn't pull up next to me anymore either. I am thinking he was bonestock, I'd like to run into both of these cars.

Great work !!! Any future mods on the horizon for either car owner, or too soon to tell?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

If he wasn't, I will. I would be very interested in seeing an overlay graph of all the changes done less headers compared to all the changes done including the headers.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

I love it!

damm that must be fun to drive
Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
+1 you got it.

I was having a disagreement with my c6 owner friend. He's got an 07 with an LPE Maggie setup. He claims he'll lose power due to lower boost. I contend that the header gain will be enough to offset the boost loss, and he can always change pullys to get that loss back and be even further ahead.

I also wanted to see the power difference at each rpm, purely for educational purposes. I wouldn't be hunting any CTS V's or anything in the near future
Originally Posted by Gary Wells
If he wasn't, I will. I would be very interested in seeing an overlay graph of all the changes done less headers compared to all the changes done including the headers.
Posted right before you did fellas! Check it out!

Zach
Old 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, Zach. How much difference in boost between the 2? I am getting ready to have mine modded and 1 of the things that I am planning on having done is the ceramic coated Kooks back to the factory muffs, and planning on running the factory muffs for the present.

Quick Reply: HR 2009 Cadillac CTS-V Pulley Swap/Tune/Headers x 2!