Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice numbers. I will still never lose to one
Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Neat video - a modified SS beat a stock GT. Cool. Note that the unmodified GT had a worse 60 ft and a better mph.
Can't argue that. With the exact same things done to the GT, it's bound to be deep into the 12's on the same track.

Also....2012 Z28 (if it is built, and it looks like it will be) will almost certainly have the LSA, not the LS9.
I hope that's correct about the Z/28, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I don't disagree with either statement, GM screwed up with the curb weight on the new camaro big time.

And believe me when I say I've talked a long conversation with someone that's WAAYYYY up the ladder in GM about this issue, and I'm anxiously awaiting what he finds can be done, and when it will be, if ever.

Believe me, I'm an ls fan, have had the h/c setup on an ls1, had the 402 ls2 stroker, have an ls7 headed 6 litre setup now that should be well into the 750 hp at the crank level, before I start putting about 250 hp of nitrous to it... The ls motor's make great power, but when you put that in a 2 ton sled, it doesn't do you any good. Plus the IRS... that's a total fail.
Agree w/ everything above!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive gains Mike! Can't wait til we see these things rollin in the door.......
Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Here it is, auto LS3 vs. manual 5.0....pretty interesting...

That's a great comparison. Now lets see an auto 5.0 vs. a m6 ls3. Or since that would be worthless too. how about comparing both manual trans. versions of the cars. So that it isn't quite so obvious your staking the deck in favor of the 5.0. Except to people that don't know any better.
BTW there is no Ls3 auto. Thank god for HP tuners.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
That's a great comparison. Now lets see an auto 5.0 vs. a m6 ls3. Or since that would be worthless too. how about comparing both manual trans. versions of the cars. So that it isn't quite so obvious your staking the deck in favor of the 5.0. Except to people that don't know any better.
the corvette isnt available with an auto?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
He was talking about an ls3 auto camaro I thought.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Still doesn't change the fact that comparing auto to manual cars on the dyno.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

yeah, you thought. You replied smugly with "matter of fact" information without even realizing that the LS3 CAN be had with an automagic tranny.

Still doesn't change the fact that comparing auto to manual cars on the dyno.
no it doesnt change the fact that theres two different transmissions on that graph, but the fact that he stated its an auto and not a stick shows that he wasnt trying to hide that fact as well. be easy, your responses (and screen name at that) show that youre investing emotions in this and prefer to fight about it before even formulating better ideas in your head so that you can type up a proper response

Last edited by MauriSSio; 06-24-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

An M6 LS3 vs an M6 5.0 is going to show peak HP numbers that are within 1-2% of each other. The LS3 will make its peak power several hundred rpm lower, and will make more low & mid-range power. To counter that, the 5.0 will have several hundred extra rpm to play with, allowing it to take advantage of more aggressive gearing. Average HP in each gear will be pretty close, with a slight advantage going to the LS3 due to its better power on the bottom of the rpm range. The Mustang has a bit better overall power-to-weight due to the 250 lb difference in curb weight, plus the afore-mentioned rpm/gear advantage.

Bottom line....stock to stock...the cars are well within the driver making the difference between winning and losing.

The auto's are a bit different, as from what I've seen, the 5.0 has a noticeable advantage in RWHP - I guess due to a more efficient trans.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
An M6 LS3 vs an M6 5.0 is going to show peak HP numbers that are within 1-2% of each other. The LS3 will make its peak power several hundred rpm lower, and will make more low & mid-range power. To counter that, the 5.0 will have several hundred extra rpm to play with, allowing it to take advantage of more aggressive gearing. Average HP in each gear will be pretty close, with a slight advantage going to the LS3 due to its better power on the bottom of the rpm range. The Mustang has a bit better overall power-to-weight due to the 250 lb difference in curb weight, plus the afore-mentioned rpm/gear advantage.

Bottom line....stock to stock...the cars are well within the driver making the difference between winning and losing.

The auto's are a bit different, as from what I've seen, the 5.0 has a noticeable advantage in RWHP - I guess due to a more efficient trans.
The torque multiplication (gearing) advantage that the 5.0 Mustang can run due to its higher redline means it can actually put more power to the ground pretty much accross the entire power band.

the auto 5.0 has an advantage in drivetrain efficiency AND power output in general vs the L99.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

yeah, you thought. You replied smugly with "matter of fact" information without even realizing that the LS3 CAN be had with an automagic tranny.

no it doesnt change the fact that theres two different transmissions on that graph, but the fact that he stated its an auto and not a stick shows that he wasnt trying to hide that fact as well. be easy, your responses (and screen name at that) show that youre investing emotions in this and prefer to fight about it before even formulating better ideas in your head so that you can type up a proper response
Yeah I'm emotional. Every time i think about how bad we are going to drag these new mustangs up and down the track. It brings tears to my eyes. Funny you say that i have probably owned more mustangs than you have. 4 5.0 cars and 1 1968 mustang with a 289. IH8FORD is is the tag I ran on my 97 Z mainly to provoke races. If the after market ( mainly AUTO Transmission parts And good stall I would consider getting one.)
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Mike, is that overlay the "tuned" 5.0 versus the "stock tune" LS3?

Bob Cosby! WTF man? Who let you out of the insane asylum?

And FWIW, even Mike Moran is heading over to the Mustang camp.....he is building two new Mustangs for competition
Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Reckless
Looked like stock and tuned for each to me.

That's FUNNY! And that's what he gets for being ancient and so recognizable.

And FWIW, even Mike Moran is heading over to the Mustang camp.....he is building two new Mustangs for competition
Not surprising... Sometimes ya go where the voices tell you to and sometimes where the money tells you...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Geeez....tough crowd!

This new 5.0 definately has my interest - the first Mustang I've seriously considered in a LONG time. I'll be ready to buy around the first of the year.....2011 GT....2008 C6 (LS3)....or C5 Z06. All about the same amount of $$$$$. Gonna be tough to decide....
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really?

I mean, really?

It was a simple comparison, not to try to stack anything in anyones favor.
I have been a long time LS loyalist, and own and drive an LS powered F-body, not sure where you were going with htis, but it seems you weren't either

He was?

Do you offer classes in well worded retorts, cause I could take a lesson!

Originally Posted by Reckless

Yes, it is a tuned 5.0 vs a stock LS3 auto.

Dont forget Tim Lynch has come over to the dark side after years of Stang bangin....
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah, Lynch and Moran swapped then....nice
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suspect that GM is going to step up it's game soon. I say scrap the damn irs on the new ss, and put the savings towards improved drivetrain (weight reduction is not an option imo from the factory due to safety regs etc-too much work required to change the platform). They should consider mating the auto from the C6 to the l99, over even better, automatic ls3 in the SS with a live rear axle, and better gearing. That would be a good start imo. I want a 2013 GM "Trans Am edition" with live rear, and lsa inside. Anyone think it could happen? I do, and remember, I said "Trans Am Edition", not Trans Am. Let's see what GM does now, since it can't afford not to step it up at this stage of the game. The SS is its crown jewel as far as market momentum, and I think they want to keep it that way. Watch and see.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Mike were is the dyno graph from my car it is a LS-3 ?I have mine but have no scanner and it made 373 rwhp/374rwtq and after tune 380rwhp/381rwtq.I think it still had more in it but it was a long day and Johan needed to get home.

Last edited by blk/slvr02ss; 06-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.